Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Beaver County)

Default Custom Magazine Extensions Complete!

I got my Choate extension kit earlier today! I ordered a +4 tube that measured 10 1/4 inches for this project. I used my pipe cutter to shorten it to 6 3/4 inches, refinished it and reused the Choate cap after making some modifications to it. I used a sanding attachment in my power drill to flatten to cap and enlarged the hole in the center so a cleaning rod will fit through. I also decided to redo my custom Tacstar extension. It needed to be shortened by 1/8 inch because it extended too far beyond the muzzle when I use the GG&G rail mount. I ruined the finish while cutting it so I stripped it down to bare steel and put a new finish on it.

This Choate extension is a really high quality piece. The spring it came with is very strong and felt like an improvement even over the Nordic Components and Wolff springs I've been using. It had a great finish (unfortunate that I had to ruin it with the pipe cutter) and feels very solid. The biggest improvement over the Tacstar extension is the aggressive texture on the magazine cap. The Choate extension is much easier to get really tight by hand but then also take off without an unusual amount of effort.

These are the finished products.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Custom Magazine Extensions Complete!

I took a few more pictures now that the finishes are done. I will be modest and simply say that I am very, very pleased with myself.

This is the Tacstar extension I recapped and refinished. Measures a perfect 6 3/4" and has a hollow steel cap for maximum space inside the magazine and a flush fit with 18 1/2" barrel. Again, I am very pleased with how this turned out.

(Northampton County)

Very nice job looks factory!
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(York County)

Excellent job! I would have thought it was factory as well if you didn't say anything.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Bucks County)

nice job, and the pipe cutter made the slight bevel in the cut area to help hold the end in. I might give a couple of mine a try now

(Beaver County)

Make sure you buy a pipe cutter that can cut 1 inch diameter tubes at least. Also, you'll want to make close attention to the cut because the pipe cutter is going to want to spin and it won't cut straight unless you are constantly correcting it. The reason I did it with +5 and +4 tubes is because I can cut it several times for practice before I make the final cut. The pipe cutter will DESTROY the finish at the edge of your extension. I decided to refinish the entire tube but you could probably minimize the damage if you keep painter's tape or masking tape around the tube once you have it measured to the desired length. PM me if you have any questions.