Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default S&W 29 vs Redhawk vs SRH

I own one of the coveted "Dirty Harry" S&W 29-2 44mag with 6.5" bbl. I love it. Sweet trigger, nice bluing, accurate. I usually shoot light loads and occasional big boomers. The problem is, when shooting heavy hitters, the ejector rod works loose and I am constantly tightening. I am also aware this vintage gun shouldn't be pushed too hard with constant diet of heavy load magnums.
    Lately, I've been contemplating picking up something else to satisfy the need of M80's going off in my hand. I previously owned a new Redhawk with 7.5"bbl, blued. After shooting very few reloads I noticed the cylinder rotation got harder on two spots. It went back to Ruger and came back with butchered cylinder shaved and not re-blued.(?) I sold soon after.
    I also find the SuperRedhawk to be gawdawful buttfook ugly. Anyone have some experience with shooting big boomer 44mag with any of these?

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Default Re: S&W 29 vs Redhawk vs SRH

Quote Originally Posted by Sparxfly72 View Post
    The problem is, when shooting heavy hitters, the ejector rod works loose and I am constantly tightening.
    Have you tried LocTite?

(Bucks County)

This vintage Smith isn't designed for steady diet of heavy hitters. I'm not looking to push this classic revolver to the point of damaging it. I could put LocTite on it to aid the backing out for occasional heavy loads, but its not something I'm interested in doing with a classic gun.

(Lackawanna County)

How about a Blackhawk Bisley 44 Mag 7.5 barrel.
    Government 99 and 44/100 % pure bullshit.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by redeye202 View Post
    How about a Blackhawk Bisley 44 Mag 7.5 barrel.
    Funny, I was just looking at those on gunbroker. I previously owned a 357mag Blackhawk and after the initial cool wore off, I found the loading/unloading a pita.

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Sparxfly72 View Post
    . I could put LocTite on it to aid the backing out for occasional heavy loads, but its not something I'm interested in doing with a classic gun.
    Don't get that. LocTite just keeps screws from backing out, it doesn't do any permanent harm to the gun.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    Don't get that. LocTite just keeps screws from backing out, it doesn't do any permanent harm to the gun.
    Get it or not, LocTite doesn't answer the question posed.

Why would you shoot hot ammo out of a gun that isn't meant for it? BB doesn't even have it on their list for heavy .44 mag. My son's Redhawk 7.5" (previously mine) is perfect. Got's a Wiegand mount and a Nikon 2.5x8 and will eat BB 300 gr all day. It is actually a .44 that you can shoot with some speed.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Why would you shoot hot ammo out of a gun that isn't meant for it? BB doesn't even have it on their list for heavy .44 mag. My son's Redhawk 7.5" (previously mine) is perfect. Got's a Wiegand mount and a Nikon 2.5x8 and will eat BB 300 gr all day. It is actually a .44 that you can shoot with some speed.
    I've never shot Buffalo Bore thru it. I reload, and the largest grain bullet has been 255 lead. I already stated I occasionally shoot hot loads, but am wanting to get something designed to handle steady diet of it. I answered your question. So, thank you for your response., noted. Next responder please.

(Montgomery County)

Super Blackhawk 7.5 inch. One of the only guns I regret selling. Crazy accurate, and will handle the hottest loads. I even shot some of the +P+ Buffalo Bore loads through that thing(340 gr. L.F.N. - G.C. (1,478 fps/M.E. 1,649 ft. lbs). You couldn't load more than one or two at a time because the OAL was essentially the same length as the cylinder, and the heavy recoil would cause crimp jump and jam the cylinder. Recoil wasn't bad because the gun would roll on your hand. Crazy muzzle flip, though.

If you insist on a DA, I'd go with the Redhawk.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast