Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Re: Pittsburgh Gun Show - Monroeville, PA (4/26 & 4/27)

There was a lot of grossly overpriced stuff at this show so I only spent $19. There was a KSG but it was $1299 (gunbroker prices them at $800-900)! There were three different vendors selling junk assist-open folding knives. I got some fudge for my girlfriend and bought an M4 stock for $15 because it was a good price. Finally got to handle a Magpul SGA 870 stock and didn't like it. There were four different tables were people paid zero attention to me whatsoever. That's a great way to have people stuffing their pockets and walking off with your shit.

I went and saw my regular guys. Bought a stock from Bear Paw Arms and found a Sig P320 at a good price and I just couldn't resist getting it. Overall I had a successful show.

I however wish that some vendors would get it through their head that people go to a gun show for deals. One guy tried to sell me some Priv Partisan 308 match for $25 a box, Cabela's it is $14.99/box. I tried to talk him down if I bought him out but he wouldn't budge. For that price I will use the gas to go to Cabela's or get some Gold Medal Match from my LGS.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by duqjeep2010 View Post
    I went and saw my regular guys. Bought a stock from Bear Paw Arms and found a Sig P320 at a good price and I just couldn't resist getting it. Overall I had a successful show.

I however wish that some vendors would get it through their head that people go to a gun show for deals. One guy tried to sell me some Priv Partisan 308 match for $25 a box, Cabela's it is $14.99/box. I tried to talk him down if I bought him out but he wouldn't budge. For that price I will use the gas to go to Cabela's or get some Gold Medal Match from my LGS.
    I agree I went with a friend and as we left, I just cant help but feel the privately owned companies are slowly creeping up to the level of the corporate ones. Gun shows should be for deals and finding things you usually couldnt. I feel most of that now is out the window.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kumora View Post
    I agree I went with a friend and as we left, I just cant help but feel the privately owned companies are slowly creeping up to the level of the corporate ones. Gun shows should be for deals and finding things you usually couldnt. I feel most of that now is out the window.
    We were looking for an M&P9 and there was a guy trying to convince my girlfriend and I that the Ruger LCP he had was a good deal for $400 because he was including a box of Hornady ammunition with it. Gunbroker prices the LCP at $289 but you couldn't give me that gun. There was also an 870P that looked like it had never been oiled and the vendor wanted $375 for it. The blue had started to look iridescent and the wood was garbage. It was awful.

(Elk County)

I went Sunday AM only because I was in Pgh anyway. Quite a line down the front of the building for a Sunday, but this was the first time I've been to this show in over two years. I had a couple things to move to specific people, and filled a short shopping list and was out by 11:10. It was good to see a few friends and acquaintances, too. From that standpoint it was successful -- "a great show" for me.

That said, over two years ago I made a decision not to patronize C&E-promoted shows (Monroeville, Erie, Altoona) because of their policy to allow non-topical-related vendors in order to fill the hall. IMO, this Monroeville show is worse than a couple years ago. At least the annoying guy with the boomerang toy helicopters wasn't there, but the following tableholders were a waste of space, IMO:

Two fudge vendors
    One gutter guard vendor
    Three jerky vendors (their product, not their nervous condition)
    A chiropractor (!?!?!?)
    At least five organizations selling chances as a fundraiser
    A jewelry vendor (should have been in the West Hall at the Gem Show)
    A battery-operated drone aircraft vendor (I guess one could consider that product topical; I consider the f__king things to be targets if they violate my airspace)

The topical-related vendors which I can personally do without:

Several vendors plying cheap Chinese or Paki knives.
    Several vendors with low-end no-name or NC Star AK accessories.
    The usual suspect gun dealers with exorbitant prices.

The bargain of the show were nice-condition used "50 cal" ammo cans (M2A1 style) priced at "$12 each, two for $25." Think about that one for a second.

I guess any gunshow is better than no gunshow, but for $9 and having to walk by 50% of the tables as irrelevant, it makes it a 200-250 table show, not a "500 table" show.

It will be some time before I return to this venue or any C&E show. Maybe if I'm in town again for other reasons, but NFW will I drive to this one as the sole purpose for the trip.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Allegheny County)

I wonder when people will give up the completely outdated notion that gun shows are a source of "deals".

It's coming up on "more years than lots of you have been alive" since you could go to a show and find "deals".

I can see the old, creaky guys (like Noah ) hanging onto that dream, but even the young guys seem to get upset time after time of not finding flea market prices at gun shows.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I wonder when people will give up the completely outdated notion that gun shows are a source of "deals".

It's coming up on "more years than lots of you have been alive" since you could go to a show and find "deals".

I can see the old, creaky guys (like Noah ) hanging onto that dream, but even the young guys seem to get upset time after time of not finding flea market prices at gun shows.
    Then let me rephrase. Cheaper than big box and not trying to bend me over!

I actually saw a guy who had a Glock 42 for $619 what is he thinking?

(Allegheny County)

Oh, sure - I can see that.

The day the first person ordered something online because it was fifty cents cheaper than at a gun shop is the day it all began to change.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Oh, sure - I can see that.

The day the first person ordered something online because it was fifty cents cheaper than at a gun shop is the day it all began to change.
    I feel ya there. Personally unless it is something I just can't find elsewhere I won't order firearms online just too much of a PITA.

I just hate the guys who, because they have a table close to the door, jack up their prices. My LGS of choice had 2 Glock 42 for $489.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Misery Loves Shotguns View Post
    There was a lot of grossly overpriced stuff at this show so I only spent $19. There was a KSG but it was $1299 (gunbroker prices them at $800-900)! There were three different vendors selling junk assist-open folding knives. I got some fudge for my girlfriend and bought an M4 stock for $15 because it was a good price. Finally got to handle a Magpul SGA 870 stock and didn't like it. There were four different tables were people paid zero attention to me whatsoever. That's a great way to have people stuffing their pockets and walking off with your shit.
    I was a vendor there. I sold my KSG for $999 out the door. Had Glock 42's for $425 NIB and Used Glock Gen 4's for $400 along with other FAIR priced guns. Try not to knock everyone as you clearly didn't look very hard...I was one row from front door and one vendor in. That's like saying every store is overpriced because you're shopping in Neiman Marcus. Kind of like saying EVERY customer at the gun show is looking for a flee market when clearly its only a few whiners on this site.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast