Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Uppers, lowers and parts. Oh my!

Good afternoon gents- quick question about something that has been floating around my brain for a while:

As of this writing I have an AR-15 with a 16inch barrel. I do not, and have no plans to, attach a scope or any sort of optics to the carbine. However, I do find myself itching to pear down a scope and fire precision shots. I don't have the green to purchase an entirely new rifle; one with a 20inch barrel+. However, I was thinking about purchasing just an upper with a 20inch+ barrel, and fixing a scope to that. When I'm at the range and feel the urge to make a nice grouping at a distance, I'd switch out the 16inch barrel with the 20.

Here is the question- does anyone have any experience doing this? I see no reason why it wouldn't work, I'm more wondering if there are any specific reasons as to why I shouldn't do this. As always, thanks in advance for any/all input!
    "We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

M91/30 ~ Stag 15 Model 2

(Centre County)

Default Re: Uppers, lowers and parts. Oh my!

not a problem at all.

(Montgomery County)

You can switch AR uppers on AR lowers as you see fit. There's no problem with that.

Proud member of:

(Allegheny County)

Seems like a fine and feasable idea to me

< already has plans to do such a thing.

(Blair County)

All of the above are true, unless you have a Colt AR. Then you may have "non-standard" diameter takedown pins. You can buy adapter pins. Check out Model 1 or M&A Parts for complete assembled upers. You might think about an A3 flat top with a 24-inch barrel. I think they are the same price as 20-inch and 16-inch. The 24-inch will give you a better sight radius when you fit it with iron sughts.
    Steve

(Allegheny County)

At what range are you looking to shoot your scoped AR at? IMHO, if it's under 200 yards you don't need a 20" barrel to group well with a scoped AR. Save you cash for ammo and throw a scope on your 16" and see how she performs before buying a 20" upper. If your planning on shooting 300 yards plus, then proceed as planned. Does your current AR have a fixed or removable carry handle? Regardless of which, you can swap out a scope on a AR in a minute or two and fire a few sighter rounds and adjust.
    Last edited by Hawk; June 6th, 2008 at 05:02 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Chester County)

Thanks for the input all. Hawk, the more I think about it the more your post makes a helluva lot of sense. The occasions I shoot at 200+yrds will be few and far between- only a few times a year, not nearly enough to warrant spending the $$ for an entire new upper. I figure I'll buy a riser for the flat top and a decent optic to tack on to it.
    "We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

M91/30 ~ Stag 15 Model 2

Quote Originally Posted by tec View Post
    Thanks for the input all. Hawk, the more I think about it the more your post makes a helluva lot of sense. The occasions I shoot at 200+yrds will be few and far between- only a few times a year, not nearly enough to warrant spending the $$ for an entire new upper. I figure I'll buy a riser for the flat top and a decent optic to tack on to it.
    At least this way if you ever plan on getting a longer barrel you already have your scope.