Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile GLOCK ACCURACY 19/17/over the 23/22

I am pretty good with my G-22 6 inch groupings at 60 yards,but my 19 is almost double that.I would like to tighten up the grouping on the 22 to under 4 inches at 50 yards,I will be doing a hog hunt in Georgia & Florida soon.I was thinking of haveing professionally re-loads suited to the G-22,but not sure,Any info is as always greatly appreciated. TY/MDT

(Bucks County)

Default Re: GLOCK ACCURACY 19/17/over the 23/22

I'm NOT a long range handgun shooter, even for gits and shiggles. I see no purpose. If I am shooting at something over 75', I'd use a rifle. In a defensive situation, those kind of distances negate self-defense and constitute offensive IMO.

Phew...I was hard on Glocks back when because their accuracy sucked (and the grip was a little big). That was right up until I put a G17 and a G21 on a real rest. Turns out I sucked at shooting a Glock. Being hard headed, I purchased two G21's so I could figure out how to shoot them, accurately. It was nothing but figuring out the trigger, something I wasn't fond of at the beginning. More than that, I found myself dragging my finger against the trigger guard a bit which made it feel like it had creep that wasn't actually there.

6" at 60 yds with a Glock isn't bad at all, especially if you're doing it off hand. Some people tell me I'm FOS when I say to strengthen their trigger finger and the flexors and extensors involved with it, but it was one of the main ingredients for my distance pistol shooting improving. Obviously, practicing will help, but if you can get this group stronger and move the same weight, the muzzle will not bounce around as much through the pull. Your suggestion of good ammo is obviously important, as well.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Smile Re: GLOCK ACCURACY 19/17/over the 23/22

I do handgun hunt quite a bit with a S&W 686 6inch 357 mag sucessfully too,I want to try a different approach and also do it humanely.I also have a S&W 517 22 lr 6 shot when they first came out in the 80s and scoped that one.If you never tried handgun hunting I recommend it but its not for everyone,you need to be a consistent very good shooter and have the patience to accomplishe the hunt humanely.Back to the subject I want to tighten up the grouping on my G-22 without disturbing the white outline sights that I am very comfortable with. TY/MDT

Smile Re: GLOCK ACCURACY 19/17/over the 23/22

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Phew...I was hard on Glocks back when because their accuracy sucked (and the grip was a little big). That was right up until I put a G17 and a G21 on a real rest. Turns out I sucked at shooting a Glock. Being hard headed, I purchased two G21's so I could figure out how to shoot them, accurately. It was nothing but figuring out the trigger, something I wasn't fond of at the beginning. More than that, I found myself dragging my finger against the trigger guard a bit which made it feel like it had creep that wasn't actually there.

6" at 60 yds with a Glock isn't bad at all, especially if you're doing it off hand. Some people tell me I'm FOS when I say to strengthen their trigger finger and the flexors and extensors involved with it, but it was one of the main ingredients for my distance pistol shooting improving. Obviously, practicing will help, but if you can get this group stronger and move the same weight, the muzzle will not bounce around as much through the pull. Your suggestion of good ammo is obviously important, as well.
    Good Point,I am a regular at handgun hunting and never gave much thought to what you indicated till now ! I will also do the excercises described and also waiting on a 40S&W load that will tighten the groups,yes I do shoot off hand but not always the case. TY/MDT

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    I am pretty good with my G-22 6 inch groupings at 60 yards,but my 19 is almost double that.I would like to tighten up the grouping on the 22 to under 4 inches at 50 yards,I will be doing a hog hunt in Georgia & Florida soon.I was thinking of haveing professionally re-loads suited to the G-22,but not sure,Any info is as always greatly appreciated. TY/MDT
    Did you do any upgrades like a trigger job, upgraded barrel? I struggle with my g22 & 23, the 17 is dramatically better for me. I love 40 but it's real snappy.

(Centre County)

I was pretty good with my G22.
    But I seem to suck with my G17
    (both Gen4).

G17 seems to group towards left for some reason...
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    but my 19 is almost double that.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike12_nguyen View Post
    Did you do any upgrades like a trigger job, upgraded barrel? I struggle with my g22 & 23, the 17 is dramatically better for me. I love 40 but it's real snappy.
    I failed to mention this bit. The 19 and the 23 are going to be inherently harder to get a tight group at that distance because of the shorter sight radius. It doesn't look like much, but unless the gaps in your sight picture are really tight, a shorter barrel is just going to be harder...but not impossible. This is where a 1911 GI sight shines.
    Last edited by harold63; April 6th, 2014 at 09:05 PM. Reason: are instead of is

(Allegheny County)

I have a much easier time shooting the G17's accurately compared to any 40 cal Glock, especially gen2 guns.

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    I have a much easier time shooting the G17's accurately compared to any 40 cal Glock, especially gen2 guns.
    Yea, the sting of the 23 just doesn't let you relax enough, or at least with me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast