Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Hit and Run, passersby study the victim but do nothing, do not even call 911

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

Video shows bystanders ignoring hit-and-run victim

http://video.ap.org/v/Legacy.aspx?pa...NAPus&f=PACHE&

By STEPHEN SINGER
    Associated Press Writer

Surveillance Video Captures Graphic Hit-and-Run

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) -- A 78-year-old man is tossed like a rag doll by a hit-and-run driver and lies motionless on a busy city street as car after car goes by. Pedestrians gawk but do nothing. One driver stops briefly but then pulls back into traffic. A man on a scooter slowly circles the victim before zipping away.

The chilling scene - captured on video by a streetlight surveillance camera - has touched off a round of soul-searching in Hartford, with the capital city's biggest newspaper blaring "SO INHUMANE" on the front page and the police chief lamenting: "We no longer have a moral compass."

"We have no regard for each other," said Chief Daryl Roberts, who released the video this week in hopes of making an arrest in the daylight accident last Friday that left Angel Arce Torres in critical condition.

The hit-and-run took place about 5:45 p.m. in a working-class neighborhood close to downtown in this city of 125,000.

In the video, Torres walks in the two-way street just blocks from the state Capitol after buying milk at a grocery. A tan Toyota and a dark Honda that is apparently chasing it cross the center line, and Torres is struck by the Honda. Both cars then dart down a side street.

Several cars pass Torres as a few people stare from the sidewalk. Some approach Torres, but most stay put until a police cruiser responding to an unrelated call arrives on the scene after about a minute and a half.

The police chief told The Hartford Courant that he was unsure whether anyone called 911.

"Like a dog they left him there," said a disgusted Jose Cordero, 37, who was with friends Thursday not far from where Torres was struck. Robert Luna, who works at a store nearby, said: "Nobody did nothing."

One witness, Bryant Hayre, told the Courant he didn't feel comfortable helping Torres, who he said was bleeding and conscious.

The accident - and bystanders' callousness - dominated morning radio talk shows.

"It was one of the most despicable things I've seen by one human being to another," the Rev. Henry Brown, a community activist, said in an interview. "I don't understand the mind-set anymore. It's kind of mind-boggling. We're supposed to help each other. You see somebody fall, you want to offer a helping hand."

The victim's son, Angel Arce, begged the public for help in finding the driver. "My father is fighting for his life," he said.

The hit-and-run is the second violent crime to shock Hartford this week. On Monday, former Deputy Mayor Nicholas Carbone, 71, was beaten and robbed while walking to breakfast. He remains hospitalized and faces brain surgery.

"There was a time they would have helped that man across the street. Now they mug and assault him," police chief said. "Anything goes."

Councilman Matthew Ritter said police can do only so much.

"The citizens are the city," he said. "Everybody has a part to play. Call 911 and reach out."

---

On the Net: http://www.hartford.gov/Police/

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Sad comment on todays society

I have mixed feelings here. One, the police shunning accountability by saying they can only do so much. the fact that it is entirely too posible that if you tried to help him, with no training in first aid, and he gets more injured, you get sued. plus, he's bleeding, you never know what you can catch anymore.

Now, most people carry cell phones so it wouldn't hurt anyone to call 911, but the most disgusting part is the cars that kept driving by and the guy on the scooter that circled then kept going.

Zombie Response Team SECTOR 4 Ground assault unit
    "Nothing defuses people like crazy." ~ Lycanthrope

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by pirateron View Post
    I have mixed feelings here. One, the police shunning accountability by saying they can only do so much. the fact that it is entirely too posible that if you tried to help him, with no training in first aid, and he gets more injured, you get sued. plus, he's bleeding, you never know what you can catch anymore.

Now, most people carry cell phones so it wouldn't hurt anyone to call 911, but the most disgusting part is the cars that kept driving by and the guy on the scooter that circled then kept going.
    I would think if you stopped to help him the good Samaritan laws would apply

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by larrymeyer View Post
    I would think if you stopped to help him the good Samaritan laws would apply
    Often times I "would think" only to find out all too often, the way I think is not the same as others.

Personally in that situation, I would have called 911 (I work for a wireless provider, so I always have my phone), and stood in the road waiving off oncoming traffic. I would not risk endangering my personal assets to some idiot that would want to sue me for helping, wouldn't risk "good samaritan" laws.

Zombie Response Team SECTOR 4 Ground assault unit
    "Nothing defuses people like crazy." ~ Lycanthrope

(Butler County)

Unhappy Re: Sad comment on todays society

Quote Originally Posted by pirateron View Post
    Often times I "would think" only to find out all too often, the way I think is not the same as others.

Personally in that situation, I would have called 911 (I work for a wireless provider, so I always have my phone), and stood in the road waiving off oncoming traffic. I would not risk endangering my personal assets to some idiot that would want to sue me for helping, wouldn't risk "good samaritan" laws.
    The above is very sad. Apparently there are those even on PAFOA that don't care about life. So sad. I, personally would have called 911 and gotten my butt out to help the guy... to hell with the blood!... So sad. If I am willing to die for my country and for the Constitution (20 years Navy), why would I NOT be willing to help when needed. So sad. Pirateron, I'd even help you!

(Chester County)

I gotta apologize in advance for this but the first thing I thought of when I saw the video was:Hit by a car in Brooklyn

I'm going to hell aren't I?
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    I gotta apologize in advance for this but the first thing I thought of when I saw the video was:Hit by a car in Brooklyn

I'm going to hell aren't I?
    No if it was Brooklyn they would have been going theu his pockets

Angry Hit and Run, passersby study the victim but do nothing, not even call 911

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,1772009.story

From the Associated Press
    June 6, 2008

HARTFORD, CONN. -- A 78-year-old man is tossed like a rag doll in a hit-and-run and lies motionless on a busy street as car after car goes by. Pedestrians gawk but appear to do nothing. One driver stops briefly, then pulls back into traffic. A man on a scooter slowly circles the victim, then zips away.

The chilling scene -- captured on video by a streetlight surveillance camera -- has touched off a round of soul-searching in Hartford.

"We no longer have a moral compass," Hartford Police Chief Daryl Roberts said. He released the video Wednesday....

Click to read the rest of article
    Last edited by gunperson003; June 6th, 2008 at 05:03 AM. Reason: title change

Default Re: Hit and Run, passersby study at the victim but do nothing, not even call 911

This is a classic example of "I'm not getting envolved" People do it everyday. God forbid someone take some time out of thier busy day or stop listening to your Ipod or talking on thier cell phone for 30 seconds to render aid or dial 911 or maybe even get the plate# of the S.O.B that hit the poor old guy.
    Sector 4

(Dauphin County)

F**k Bystanders. I don't understand that mentality at all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast