Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: First AR

Default Re: First AR

Quote Originally Posted by 51158 View Post
    I've been thinking about a spikes upper, it comes with bolt carrier group (bcm) and a charging handle for 529 from joebobs ,I don't know whether you want a carbine or a rifle.

My first ar was a kit from palmetto, 20" and a lower from widners (lrb brand)which make it a civi m-16. I wanted the rifle first. I'm happy with how it runs, haven't had a problem with it yet.(probly1000 rnds thru-it)

Now I'm looking for a carbine (16" barrel) spikes seems to have a good name, If you buy a complete upper pay attention to whether it has the bcg & charger. that's why i think I'm going with the spikes upper. 529 with the bcg and charger and joebob gives free shipping...

now is a good time to build, The same lower i used(lrb 89$) is going for 69$ now.

Have fun. if you like guns, no truer statement was ever made, "you won't stop with one" .. It a fun rifle to shoot.

1 thing to mention, I've never bought from joebob's, they look to be a reputable company and haven't found anything bad about them .. use your own judgment though..
    Joebob's is good to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300zx_tt View Post
    I'm looking into picking up my first AR-15. I'm a total noob when it comes to ar brands and components. I'm looking to spend from 600-900. I don't even know where to start.
    animalmother has the best advice in this thread, IMO.

300zx, it depends on how much of a hurry you are in to get this rifle. I'd recommend building the lower so you can save $ and see exactly how the lower functions. You are in MontCo, so I could even help you with this.

You can get a Spikes lower for about $120 at King Shooter Supply. They have others to choose from, but that's a decent quality lower that you won't have problems with. Sure you can buy lowers for cheaper, but then you need to pay shipping and a transfer fee. Maybe you can find another shop that has them cheaper.

Then, check out PSA for the deals. I would stay away from the PTAC stuff as well, especially if you can afford better. Not too long ago, I bought a blem, cold hammer forged, mid-length, lightweight-profile, complete upper with a full-auto bolt carrier group and charging handle for about $450. This is one of the better deals I've ever seen there, but they can be found. Don't be afraid to buy blemished stuff from PSA. Usually it's a very minor scuff or scratch.

PSA also has great deals on build kits that include everything you need to finish your lower. In the end, you can have a better rifle than Colt sells for less $ if you are patient and you remove your time from the equation. Time is $.

Colt makes good rifles, but after you replace the crappy stock, grip, trigger guard, trigger, and buy a rear sight, you are well over 1K. I certainly wouldn't begrudge you for buying a complete rifle for your first one. That's what I did. But, if I could do it over again, I would have built the lower and bought a complete upper.

And yes, 16 inch uppers with carbine gas systems are AIDS ghey, especially with the ugly ass government profile. But alas, I bought one from PSA because the price was too damn good. It's a good beater, and I can always paint it lavender or salmon to fully bring out the ghey.
    Last edited by 625; April 4th, 2014 at 11:53 AM.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by 625 View Post
    animalmother has the best advice in this thread, IMO.

300zx, it depends on how much of a hurry you are in to get this rifle. I'd recommend building the lower so you can save $ and see exactly how the lower functions. You are in MontCo, so I could even help you with this.

You can get a Spikes lower for about $120 at King Shooter Supply. They have others to choose from, but that's a decent quality lower that you won't have problems with. Sure you can buy lowers for cheaper, but then you need to pay shipping and a transfer fee. Maybe you can find another shop that has them cheaper.

Then, check out PSA for the deals. I would stay away from the PTAC stuff as well, especially if you can afford better. Not too long ago, I bought a blem, cold hammer forged, mid-length, lightweight-profile, complete upper with a full-auto bolt carrier group and charging handle for about $450. This is one of the better deals I've ever seen there, but they can be found. Don't be afraid to buy blemished stuff from PSA. Usually it's a very minor scuff or scratch.

PSA also has great deals on build kits that include everything you need to finish your lower. In the end, you can have a better rifle than Colt sells for less $ if you are patient and you remove your time from the equation. Time is $.

Colt makes good rifles, but after you replace the crappy stock, grip, trigger guard, trigger, and buy a rear sight, you are well over 1K. I certainly wouldn't begrudge you for buying a complete rifle for your first one. That's what I did. But, if I could do it over again, I would have built the lower and bought a complete upper.

And yes, 16 inch uppers with carbine gas systems are AIDS ghey, especially with the ugly ass government profile. But alas, I bought one from PSA because the price was too damn good. It's a good beater, and I can always paint it lavender or salmon to fully bring out the ghey.

Time is absolutely not even a factor in this decision. I have all the time in the world to scower the interwebz, I think I'll end up building one, buying it piece by piece so if I do blow my budget it's not all at once. Now I just have to do more research on lowers and uppers.

(Erie County)

I think I'll end up assembling one, buying it piece by piece so if I do blow my budget it's not all at once. Now I just have to do more research on lowers and uppers.
    The lower you indicated in other post is a great deal, and you won't save if you even buy a blem lower and the assembly parts kit separate to complete the lower assembly. This will leave you with up to $700 for an upper. I've seen PSA 16'' middies, with BCG & CH for less than $600. This occurs usually on the weekends, or holidays. Be prepared to wait a couple of weeks before receiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Montgomery County)

Time is absolutely not even a factor in this decision. I have all the time in the world to scower the interwebz, I think I'll end up building one, buying it piece by piece so if I do blow my budget it's not all at once. Now I just have to do more research on lowers and uppers.
    IMO, it's not really worth building an upper unless you simply want to do it to know how it's done or you are building a target rifle from the barrel up. Just realize that you will need some special tools to build from scratch.

You need to figure out what exactly you want out of this rifle and if you plan on adding more down the line. A good first rifle is a simple, battle gun, IMO. It will be reliable, and pretty accurate. A 16 inch barrel with a mid-length gas system is a good start, preferably hammer forged.
    Last edited by 625; April 4th, 2014 at 01:07 PM. Reason: specify
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Wayne County)

Also take advantage of ar15.com's EE. It's a great place to find lightly used handguards, usgi carry handles, charging handles etc.

You can save a few bucks buying the small un important shit used and spend a bit more on the "dick tingling number/acronym" grade barrel/bcg/fcg
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

(Montgomery County)

If I buy a lower off of PSA will any upper work with it or do I have to buy a PSA upper as well as well as vice versa

(Allegheny County)

All parts for the AR-15 rifle should be interchangeable as long as they are for a standard rifle and not some manufactures customized version of it and these are usually branded a bit different and you know up front that its not your standard "mil spec" rifle.

So YES. If you get say a PSA lower and a BCM upper they will work together fine.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    At $600 if you want a range plinker look at the S&W M&P Sport. You will loose the forward assist and dust cover. I think the FA could be useful in a defensive situation but the dust cover only if you carry a rifle daily in harsh environment .
    I actually like not having FA. It doesn't look as cool, but being in a now combat/operator situation, if it doesn't fire I'd rather clear it and check things over and try again, rather than ramming it into battery.

I miss a dust cover b/c I can't put a fun saying or logo on it

Another thing I forgot to mention is you can't change out the trigger guard. Something I serious wish I could, but I have no problem getting my finger on the trigger with a glove so I'll live with that!

Quote Originally Posted by FLICK View Post
    M&P Sport is a fine starter rifle that won't break the bank. The specs are there for a non combat AR and leaves you some money for additional mags, ammo, red dot, and a light. Smith should take care of you if there is an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by RXM View Post
    OP, no matter what rifle you buy now, in a few months/less than a year it will look completely different after you spend some time with it and start adding accessories or swapping things out. Or you may just buy another rifle and have the first one as a spare.
    ^^^these...I got my M&P Sport and put an EOtech with FTS 3X magnifier on it for $1000...And I have friends/family with $1000 Colts and such that want to shoot my AR more than theirs. IMO, a good optic is what really makes the gun! Civilian/range/plinking speaking...

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    All parts for the AR-15 rifle should be interchangeable as long as they are for a standard rifle and not some manufactures customized version of it and these are usually branded a bit different and you know up front that its not your standard "mil spec" rifle.

So YES. If you get say a PSA lower and a BCM upper they will work together fine.
    So all I need to buy is an upper and a lower assemble it get magazines and I'm ready to shoot? Or is there something else I'm missing?

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast