Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Laws on carrying sharp things

Can anyone enlighten me on laws in PA concerning carrying a knife? I do a lot of hiking and camping. I know the ins and outs on LTCF but have never given knives much thought.

Thanks

FM

(Mifflin County)

Default Re: Laws on carrying sharp things

Unfortunately, we don't have preemption on knife laws. As such, the laws regarding the carry of knives vary greatly around the state.

(Mercer County)

Who cares. No police officer is going to fine or arrest or charge you because you have a knife. Almost everyone has a knife on them.

Not saying it can't happen, but I have never heard of anyone being charged with anything for having any kind of knife in PA, unless it was being actively used in an assault or violent crime.

I forget where I saw it, but there was a huge list of knife laws in PA for both the state and a hundred or more municipalities posted on the web somewhere. Some of the ordinances were downright silly. Something being illegal is one thing. Actual enforcement is another. I don't really give knife carry much thought.

The saying "Bigger fish to fry" comes to mind.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by G17-5291 View Post
    Not saying it can't happen, but I have never heard of anyone being charged with anything for having any kind of knife in PA, unless it was being actively used in an assault or violent crime.

I forget where I saw it, but there was a huge list of knife laws in PA for both the state and a hundred or more municipalities posted on the web somewhere. Some of the ordinances were downright silly. Something being illegal is one thing. Actual enforcement is another. I don't really give knife carry much thought.

The saying "Bigger fish to fry" comes to mind.
    speaking of that. first day of trout in 7 days!

(Lancaster County)

I'd be careful just assuming the police won't get bent over a blade. As stated the laws are different depending on where you are. What kind of knife do you plan on having with you? Why is this posted here?

(Delaware County)

I see the OP is in Montco so I'll mention the law in nearby Philadelphia regarding knives within the city:

http://www.phila.gov/philacode/html/...s_in_Publ.html

CHAPTER 10-800. SAFETY

§10-820. Cutting Weapons in Public Places. [180]

(1) Definition.

Cutting Weapon. Any knife or other cutting instrument which can be used as a weapon that has a cutting edge similar to that of a knife. No tool or instrument commonly or ordinarily used in a trade, profession or calling shall be considered a cutting weapon while actually being used in the active exercise of that trade, profession or calling.

(2) Prohibited Conduct. No person shall use or possess any cutting weapon upon the public streets or upon any public property at any time.

(3) Penalty. The penalty for violation of this section shall be a fine of not less than three hundred (300) dollars and imprisonment of not less than ninety days

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Cutting Weapon. Any knife or other cutting instrument which can be used as a weapon that has a cutting edge similar to that of a knife. No tool or instrument commonly or ordinarily used in a trade, profession or calling shall be considered a cutting weapon while actually being used in the active exercise of that trade, profession or calling.
    Sounds like any pocket knife is illegal. Also sounds like if a gardner is carrying a pruning knife on his way home from work, he's in violation of the law because is not now working at that point.

(3) Penalty. The penalty for violation of this section shall be a fine of not less than three hundred (300) dollars and imprisonment of not less than ninety days
    So if you are found guilty of carrying a pocket knife in Philly, you could be fined $1,000 and get six months in jail. Wow!

I looked up the state knife laws when I was in college and, as I recall, at that time the commonwealth considered just about any knife legal as long as you weren't using it in an offensive manner. That makes sense . . . carrying a knife is okay as long as you don't threaten or stab people with it.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    Sounds like any pocket knife is illegal. Also sounds like if a gardner is carrying a pruning knife on his way home from work, he's in violation of the law because is not now working at that point.
    The way the law reads, it does seem to prohibit carrying to, and from work, as you are not "actively engaged". However, how does one get the tool to the job site, if you are not allowed to carry it there?

So if you are found guilty of carrying a pocket knife in Philly, you could be fined $1,000 and get six months in jail. Wow!
    While I can legally carry a concealed, or openly carry a firearm in Philly with my LTCF, I stopped carrying a knife there just because of the above. If the police want to harass you, that is a nice add on charge, or if they see a pocket clip, they can charge you. No thanks.

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    The way the law reads, it does seem to prohibit carrying to, and from work, as you are not "actively engaged". However, how does one get the tool to the job site, if you are not allowed to carry it there?
    I could see a cop or judge saying, "That's not my problem, it's the law."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast