Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default 9mm SBR Problem or Norm

About a year ago I started down the SBR 9mm Rock River road. I purchased a 16' "Custom" Rock River from a shop called PA Defense Consultants, near PGH. Paid the premium for the "Custom" gun and what I looked at as being a warranty. Well, to my surprise the guy who owned the shop sold the shop and moved south. All of this happened when we were working the bugs out of the gun. OK this stuff happens, life goes on, no hard feelings...

So after he left, I continued the struggle.

Major Problems:
    1. Couldn't keep a mag in the gun. Just kept falling out, I tried everything. Ends up that the mag block adapter that fit into the magwell took up too much of the mag catch and wasn't getting enough mag catch in the mag to hold it in.

Fix: CLAW HAMMER. Yes, I let a guy from the club whack the mag catch with a claw hammer. It was out of the gun when he did it. We bent the mag catch enough to push the catch deeper in the mag. FIXED!

2. Stove Pipe. Felt like the bolt wasn't able to travel back with enough force to jack the round out. I tried to make hotter loads to create more recoil to push the brass out. This almost worked but who want's to run a gun supper hot.

Fix: I changed the shock buff from the 9mm buff (5.5 oz.) to a heavy 5.56 buff (3.75 oz) The lighter buff let the gun recoil more and jacked the rounds out better. I noticed that this was occurring when the mags were full loaded 32 rounds. Just like the 5.56 guns I'm down loading mags by 2. Creates less vertical spring pressor and lets the bolt run with less friction.

Big Question For Everyone!

IS THIS NORMAL OR DID I JUST HAVE BAD LUCK???

Post your experiences.

Default Re: 9mm SBR Problem or Norm

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
    About a year ago I started down the SBR 9mm Rock River road. I purchased a 16' "Custom" Rock River from a shop called PA Defense Consultants, near PGH. Paid the premium for the "Custom" gun and what I looked at as being a warranty. Well, to my surprise the guy who owned the shop sold the shop and moved south. All of this happened when we were working the bugs out of the gun. OK this stuff happens, life goes on, no hard feelings...

So after he left, I continued the struggle.

Major Problems:
    1. Couldn't keep a mag in the gun. Just kept falling out, I tried everything. Ends up that the mag block adapter that fit into the magwell took up too much of the mag catch and wasn't getting enough mag catch in the mag to hold it in.

Fix: CLAW HAMMER. Yes, I let a guy from the club whack the mag catch with a claw hammer. It was out of the gun when he did it. We bent the mag catch enough to push the catch deeper in the mag. FIXED!

2. Stove Pipe. Felt like the bolt wasn't able to travel back with enough force to jack the round out. I tried to make hotter loads to create more recoil to push the brass out. This almost worked but who want's to run a gun supper hot.

Fix: I changed the shock buff from the 9mm buff (5.5 oz.) to a heavy 5.56 buff (3.75 oz) The lighter buff let the gun recoil more and jacked the rounds out better. I noticed that this was occurring when the mags were full loaded 32 rounds. Just like the 5.56 guns I'm down loading mags by 2. Creates less vertical spring pressor and lets the bolt run with less friction.

Big Question For Everyone!

IS THIS NORMAL OR DID I JUST HAVE BAD LUCK???

Post your experiences.
    Your ejector is sitting too low, and you may have a old style roll pin holding in the extractor.

normal .. well depends. In one of my 9mm's I run a custom 10.7oz buffer and have no ejection problems with powder puff loads (light 147gr subs)

No, not billet martini glasses... Baffles.... EVIL Baffles