Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Question is this gun stolen?

just came into possession of a pistol from a deceased relative,
    he would do jobs for trade, thats where this pistol with no paperwork came from
    how do I find out if it's legit or stolen without putting myself at risk for possessing a stolen firearm?--what to do -- --what to do-- --

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: is this gun stolen?

Open carry at WalMart, they're sure to run your gun.

Was it willed to you or just given by relatives? Unless it was your Mother, Father or siblings, needs to be transfered through a FFL or Sheriff's office.

Either way the only way to know for sure is to have the estate transfer it to you through one of the above.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(York County)

Really good question. Standing by for an answer, as I am now curious myself.

BB
    3%

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ENGINEER View Post
    how do I find out if it's legit or stolen without putting myself at risk for possessing a stolen firearm?--what to do -- --what to do-- --
    As already stated, unless the transfer to you was from a relative that qualifies for the exemption (parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, or spouse) you'll need to have it transferred to you via a FFL. If the gun would come back as stolen, you should not be held criminally liable, though you would definitely lose possession of the firearm.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

As already stated, unless the transfer to you was from a relative that qualifies for the exemption (parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, or spouse) you'll need to have it transferred to you via a FFL. If the gun would come back as stolen, you should not be held criminally liable, though you would definitely lose possession of the firearm.
    If the transferrer is dead, and the transferee just died, and the transferee is a parent or grandparent, but the person who the transferrer stole the firearm from reported the firearm stolen...

well, that just sounds messy.

(Chester County)

Can a dealer run the serial # to see if the gun has a history or has been reported stolen? I thought they could check stuff like that out if they're buying a used gun or taking one in as trade. If so, do you know a dealer that would run the number the gun, or is that putting the dealer in a position that he has to report it if it does come up hot. Of course, if it is hot, I think you might not want it in your possession anyway.

I don't know if any laws were broken, but I watched one dealer at a gun show accept a handgun from a guy who said he found it in his uncle's attic so he didn't have any paper work on it, and the dealer gave him cash on the spot.

(Venango County)

Should the OP be quiet / dumb about the barter part of the relative receiving the firearm as well? (Unless it was legally transferred but I suspect that was not the case or if it is 'grandfathered' depending on the age of the weapon)
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    Open carry at WalMart, they're sure to run your gun.
    I OC at Walmart all of the time and never ever run into a problem. I guess each one is different.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

(Centre County)

I believe a dealer could run it through the local PD. Pawn shops do this many times when an unknown person wants to pawn a gun and pawn dealers have FFL's. If it came up stolen the PD would want tp talk to the person who has possession of it to see what is going on, but in this case I don't think the possessor would need to worry about anything. But you never know.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member