Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Eagles Nest

Default Eagles Nest

I had no idea how hard it was to get eye level with an eagle's nest. I am seeing more of them in very rural area away from the primary tributaries.
    This one is along the Huntington creek.

"North of I-80, we don't dial 911, we dial 223"

Default Re: Eagles Nest

Thats really neat. We have two of them here in delco. I haven't seen them yet though.

(Susquehanna County)

I saw one on Saturday in Lackawanna county. I was fishing in the swamps there and saw it fly overhead.
    Stay armed my friends.

(York County)

They have a nest in Maryland near my familys vacation home. The bald eagle is my favorite animal. I wish they had a nest closer to my house.

(Bucks County)

Bald Eagle Nest Etiquette: (From PA State Portal)

There are few sights more thrilling than a bald eagle at its nest or in action along a shoreline. Responsibilities come with this enjoyment. As you enjoy eagles, you must ensure your presence and behavior do not have a detrimental effect on the eagles or their future use of the area. Eagle nests and young eagles are easily disturbed. By causing a premature fledging, you can inadvertently cause injury or death of an eaglet that can not yet fly or defend itself. In the cold winter, energy is a very valuable commodity for eagles. Flushing eagles from a roost site or a feeding ground causes unnecessary stress and may expose the eagle to additional predators. So please keep your distance from eagle nests and roosts. Respect their space. Enjoy their presence at a distance with good optics. Please consider the following general etiquette guidelines for avoiding eagle disturbances:

Stay back! Keep at least 1,000 feet from an active nest, roost, or feeding area. Use optics like binoculars or a telescope to view the eagles at a distance.

Quiet please! If you must talk, whisper.

Cover up! Use your vehicle or boat as a blind; eagles often are more alarmed by pedestrians.

Be cool! Avoid sudden movements — and movements directly toward the eagles or the nest — while on foot or in a vehicle or boat.

No flushing! Don't make the birds fly. Flushing an eagle off a nest may expose the eggs or young eaglets to cold or wet weather or a nest predator. It also wastes precious energy and may cause them to leave a valuable meal behind or abandon a nest that they are constructing.

Pay attention! Watch how the eagle reacts to your presence – if it acts agitated, vocalizes repeatedly, or starts moving away, you are too close!

Stay out! Respect restricted zones. They protect eagle nesting areas. And you're breaking state and federal laws if you enter them.

Privacy please! Respect the privacy of the landowner. Don't tell everyone about a new eagle nest. It will attract people to nesting areas who will not use proper etiquette and other unnecessary attention to a nest. If you unexpectedly stumble onto an eagle nest, or hear an eagle vocalizing overhead, leave immediately and quietly.

Bald Eagle Nest Etiquette was practiced, and no tree climbing was needed, the above image was taken with a 400 MM combined with a 1.6 multiplier, the edited and cropped within photoshop to produce an enlargement, hence the fuzzy eyeball.

None the less, good knowledge or you could end up like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE0Q904gtMI
    Last edited by tollster; April 2nd, 2014 at 04:57 PM.
    "North of I-80, we don't dial 911, we dial 223"

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by tollster View Post
    Bald Eagle Nest Etiquette was practiced, and tree climbing was needed, the above image was taken with a 400 MM combined with a 1.6 multiplier, the edited and cropped within photoshop to produce an enlargement, hence the fuzzy eyeball.

None the less, good knowledge or you could end up like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE0Q904gtMI
    I wasnt posting that as a stab or anything...just as general knowledge to those who may not know

Awesome sight