Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default TAS Tritium sights

I know we have talked about this before but the forum search yielded no results that were distinguishable but I just got an email from Tactical Aiming Solutions stating that they have finally come out with a tritium version of their sights. I emailed them a while back about this and think they might be a nice addition to a defensive handgun. Input?

http://www.tas-sights.com/web/8888/n...087&G=6693&SM=
    Last edited by CHEMICAL; March 31st, 2014 at 08:30 PM.

(Mercer County)

Default Re: TAS Tritium sights

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    I know we have talked about this before but the forum search yielded no results that were distinguishable but I just got an email from Tactical Aiming Solutions stating that they have finally come out with a tritium version of their sights. I emailed them a while back about this and think they might be a nice addition to a defensive handgun. Input?

http://www.tas-sights.com/web/8888/n...087&G=6693&SM=
    During a recent training class. They taught us that over 70% in shootouts a person does not use their sights. Its more point and shoot. They proved that laser sites are the best for a shootout. So to answer your question TAS will not realistically help for defensive purposes.

(Tioga County)

I concur. I use CT laser grips on my carry pistolas.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by wakefield724 View Post
    During a recent training class. They taught us that over 70% in shootouts a person does not use their sights. Its more point and shoot. They proved that laser sites are the best for a shootout. So to answer your question TAS will not realistically help for defensive purposes.
    What training organization? What studies did they cite that support these claims? I'm genuinely curious.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    What training organization? What studies did they cite that support these claims? I'm genuinely curious.
    Ohio State Police Department ran the study. They did a study of over 400 shootings and learned that most shots landed did not hit center mass like they are trained to. Most shots actually hit the right side of the body which shows that when in action the person shooting is looking at the other person's weapon and their aim goes toward where they are looking and most people are right handed which explains why it is the right side. They also showed that with fast paced shooting action in live gun fights most of the time people do not take time to aim or use their sites. They also showed that over 85% of shootings happen within 5 feet.

I thought it was an interesting study. It surely changed my training stradegies. For self defense it is best to practice quick draw hip firing at close range. So the countless hours and ammo at the range practicing at targets 20 feet away all that statiscally is a waste.