Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: AMC movie theater Marple

I was in the mall on Friday and asked someone who worked there what the latest on the mall was. She said that deconstruction was going to start in 2015 tearing out the center of the mall and setting up the strip malls. In addition she said that the AMC would be upgraded.

Here is one of the more recent stories from November.

Granite Run plan: Save 3 anchor stores, demolish rest of mall

http://www.delcotimes.com/general-ne...h-rest-of-mall

MIDDLETOWN — A conceptual plan for a dramatic transformation of the aging, distressed Granite Run Mall unveiled at council’s land planning committee Monday night brought favorable response from a near capacity audience.

That’s because most people believe the badly neglected mall needs more than just a facelift. The plan of the new owner, Horsham-based BET Investments, calls for a completely new life.

When the financially troubled mall was purchased Sept. 20 for a reported $24 million by BET Investments, company President Michael Markman promised substantial changes would be made to the nearly 40-year-old facility to return it to its previous prominent place in the community.

“We want to change it into what today’s consumers want and bring a new sense of vibrancy to the property,” Markman told the committee.

The plan, outlined by Markman and company development director Peter Cleland, shows a mixed use retail/residential development on the 58-acre property. The mall’s existing three anchor stores — Boscov’s, Sears and JCPenney — would remain, but the interior of the mall itself would be demolished.

In its place would be an outdoor courtyard surrounded by upscale retail shops, sit-down restaurants with outdoor dining, seating areas, green spaces and other amenities to create an attractive, walkable “Main Street” concept.

Also proposed are two four-story, high-end apartment buildings, with 240 units on the Oriole Avenue side of the mall property and another 125 units on the former Chi-Chi’s restaurant site fronting Route 352. Most would be one-bedroom units marketed to young professionals and empty nesters. Markman believes the occupants would have few if any children, so there would be no major impact of the Rose Tree Media School District.

The Kohl’s and Acme stores would remain. So would the AMC movie theater and a stand-alone strip of stores fronting Baltimore Pike. However, because of their long-term leases, the future of the PennDOT vehicle licensing center and the Sears automotive center are undetermined.

“We welcome with open arms any improvement to the mall,” said Warren Kuo of Margaret Kuo’s Peking restaurant, which has been in the mall since it opened in 1974. The only other original tenant is Chick-fil-A.

Responding to a request from Kuo, Markman said every effort will be made to minimize the impact of demolition and new construction on existing tenants who wish to stay. He noted he’s already receiving calls from would-be tenants for the new outdoor shopping center and the first was Starbucks.

Traffic generated by the new development and impact on Oriole Avenue residents were among issues Markman said would be addressed as the plan proceeds through the approval process. Also, noted project Attorney Joseph Riper, sweeping changes to the zoning code would be required.

“We’d like to get started within a year or two,” said Markman. “We’re here to stay. We want to make this our best project in the Philadelphia area.”

Councilwoman Lorraine Bradshaw, who chairs the land planning committee noted conceptual plans will be available on Middletown’s website in a few days.

Aging and distressed? So, the new mall (metal studs, styrofoam and dryvit) will be better? That mall is fine. The problem is A: the economy. B: the internet.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Its been ghetto for years. Walmart didn't help much either.
    Clearly we have different views of what Ghetto is. The movie theatre on Delaware Ave in Philly.....now thats Ghetto. When I think Wal Mart, I dont think ghetto....I think something else........
    Don’t like me ???? Tough, I don’t give a flying f@@k about ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Clearly we have different views of what Ghetto is. The movie theatre on Delaware Ave in Philly.....now thats Ghetto. When I think Wal Mart, I dont think ghetto....I think something else........
    The burbs are ghetto too. White "and" black trash. I grew up in broomall in the 60s til when i moved out in the late 80s (parents still there).
    What a difference. When i move again, i'm skipping over delco this time.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    The burbs are ghetto too. White "and" black trash. I grew up in broomall in the 60s til when i moved out in the late 80s (parents still there).
    What a difference. When i move again, i'm skipping over delco this time.
    I grew up in Springfield in the 60's, and 70's, and since my parents died, I have not been back. It was a nice place to grow up back then, but I know it has changed. No reason for me to be down there now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    I grew up in Springfield in the 60's, and 70's, and since my parents died, I have not been back. It was a nice place to grow up back then, but I know it has changed. No reason for me to be down there now.
    I'm around the corner from holy cross (westbrook pk). I really cant wait to leave. I will miss my friends and family though.

(Delaware County)

Back in '63 / '64, I use to hang out at Scotty's. We use to line up our Vette's on the North side of the lot. I was a Ridley product.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Delaware County)

Ref. to granite mall development. It will be years before anything is done there. The planning powers to be in that township, like the wheels of justice,
    moves very slowly. Look how long it is taking to develop the old franklin mint property.

As far as marple is concerned, this incident has certainly given fuel to the argument of many that did not want the wallmart in their township. Personally, I don't know if wally world was the only factor bringing marple to its present state. Marple location is what it is, otherwise, wallmart would not have build there. The corporate people could of built anyplace, but felt their market was not newtown square or radnor.
    Last edited by c45man; April 1st, 2014 at 12:43 PM.

(Chester County)

I'm a former delco resident (ridley) and quite happy I am out of there. I seem to be younger than most who have posted up about the changing atmosphere, but even since I grew up there it's gone farther downhill. When I was a kid back in the early 90s it wasn't bad in my section. I'm happy out in Chester county now.

I'm not surprised that this happened in the Marple AMC. Nor would I be surprised at the Granite Run location either. Although I work in Upper Darby so that's much worse than those areas haha.

Quote Originally Posted by c45man View Post
    Ref. to granite mall development. It will be years before anything is done there. The planning powers to be in that township, like the wheels of justice,
    moves very slowly. Look how long it is taking to develop the old franklin mint property.
    Maybe, there are some differences though. One of the big hold ups for the Franklin Mint is that they wanted massive zoning changes which impacted the entire area. It took so long because the public wanted their say, and council had to decide what zoning changes to go with.

In the malls case, they already have most of the zoning they need and the property has been developed. I don't see them going through the same public scrutiny that the mint did and can see it starting next year.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast