Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Beaver County)

Default Renting and Handguns

Hello,

I am 22 and live in Beaver County. I have a current cc permit. I currently rent an apartment. My question is how would the "place of abode" factor play into anything. For example, I know the tenent rules in the state that the landlord has to give 24 hour notice before entering your apartment unless in an emergency. How does the place of abode rule work for people who rent? Thank you in advance for your help.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Renting and Handguns

It is your "place of abode" whether you rent or own.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by joe15003 View Post
    Hello,

I am 22 and live in Beaver County. I have a current cc permit. I currently rent an apartment. My question is how would the "place of abode" factor play into anything. For example, I know the tenent rules in the state that the landlord has to give 24 hour notice before entering your apartment unless in an emergency. How does the place of abode rule work for people who rent? Thank you in advance for your help.
    You have a LTCF, the concern over what is your "abode" is unfounded. That is relevant for individuals that do not have a LTCF.

Be safe.

Scott

(Centre County)

Whether you rent, or own, where you live is your abode. If you're worried about having guns and such in a rental, check the lease. If the lease doesn't forbid it you can have it. If for some reason the landlord has to go into your place (emergency for water, gas, electricity, fire, etc.) and sees something "he" doesn't like, "he" can't do anything if the lease doesn't prohibit it. He can change the lease when due for renewal, but unless the lease states that he can void the lease any reason he wants, at any time he wants, he can't do a thing until the lease is up.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Venango County)

IANAL, but I believe it also covers hotels/motels and sometimes (not sure about Pa) motorhome/coaches (RVs), if you sleep there.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Lancaster County)

Get something to lock up your guns, ammo, cleaning gear anything that indicates gun is my advise. It does not have to be burglar proof just something landlord can not looking into without breaking. A used wooden toy box or chest with lock attached would work well for this purpose. You might find one at yard sale or Goodwill, etc.

I would also keep your checks and anything with account numbers locked up. Yes a person can break in to a simple chest, but at least you know they are stolen and can take appropriate action. And any kind of lock should stop nosy landlord. And yes those kind of landlords are out there.

(York County)

I'm not entirely sure what your asking here, but the gorilla hit right if I'm reading you right. If you live there its your "abode", so no problems. Landlords can say what they allow and do not allow in the properties but I'm not sure about forbidding guns?

Anybody else know?

BB
    3%