Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default New CC gun. Suggestions

Hi all

Now that I finally have my LTCF, I need to buy a CC gun. This is how I'm thinking. And remember, my thinking may not be too good.

This has to be an all seasons gun, so seems to me a full size 1911 might be too large for summer. I saw a Ruger LC9. Looks like a good size. But I like the single/double action with the external hammer. Caliber, perhaps .40 SW. With the $ available, gonna have to be a used gun. Unless its a Hi Point

American Arms & Ammo sounds like the place to go.

Comments? If you think I'm fooked up on this, tell me please.

Thanks

(Delaware County)

Default Re: New CC gun. Suggestions

I've carried a full-size 1911 all day every day for a year now. It can be done.

(Berks County)

My friend has a sig p938 9mm. It's a mini 1911. It's pricey though. Bersa thunder cc probably fits your price and double/single criteria but it's a 380. A 40 cal will be tough in that LC9 size with a hammer. I can't think of one at the moment.

(Bucks County)

DA/SA in .40 then I'd say a Sig 239 or 229.
    Last edited by ERMedic; March 29th, 2014 at 07:39 AM.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Smile Re: New CC gun. Suggestions

A few factors to think about are,Is the CCW guy a large or very big person ? larger people are more forgiving of a heavier weight ccw.Calibers ? you want one than will be a decent defense although the reasoning any gun is better than none is good reasoning.Having been a large person and now slim and trim guy I prefer flatter,smaller,and 9mm,this gives comfort and security of protection,my CCW is almost always a Kel-Tec PF-9mm they go used for around $150 to $200,Used Ruger LC-9s used for around $225 to $250,Revolvers Tayrus 38spl,even 9mm,and 380s now can be found used for about $250 ! all in all others will profess their favorites but I kept in mine the caliber,Cost and reasonable functioning of these guns,good luck ! MDT

(Bucks County)

I also carry a PF-9 a lot due to its size and weight but I kinda like hammer guns too. If you're stuck on a .40 there are some compact 1911 variants in .40 but you might as well get a .45 if it's a 1911. Also Czech out the CZ RAMI 2045. It's a subcompact DA/SA based on the CZ75. The old lady has one in .40 and she loves it.

(Montgomery County)

Skip the PF9 or anything keltec. They're not of appropriate build quality to trust your life with. Are they fun little guns? Sure. Just don't make it your primary carry....just my opinion. You could go for a glock 23 or 19, maybe a 26 even. M&P compact in 40 or 9. Maybe a xds in 9 if you want something skinny.

I carry a glock 19 or a ruger LCP if I don't feel like carrying the glock. I used to carry the glock every damn day though and it was no problem. Just get a good holster and belt. I recommend a galco instructors belt paired with a galco kingtuk IWB holster.

Belt
    http://www.lapolicegear.com/galco-nibr.html

Holster
    http://www.lapolicegear.com/galco-ki...b-holster.html
    -=pardon me while I burn and rise above the flames=-

(Allegheny County)

The Shield works for me. I have it in 9mm but it can be had in 40 as well. It conceals well and has been reliable since day one.

(Montgomery County)

I carry my Glock 23 in an OWB holster with an untucked button down shirt or a jacket as a cover garment. Didn't want to buy a whole new wardrobe of bigger pants to fit a pistol IWB. If I lose weight, that will take care of itself, but for now the OWB setup is just fine. I have also used a full size Glock 22 in the same holster with no problems.

.40 Glocks can reliably shoot 9mm if you install a conversion barrel and use a 9mm magazine. Lone Wolf barrels are inexpensive and do a darn good job. I wouldn't claim that would mean a G23 is then a full replacement for a G19, but if .40 were somehow unavailable, my G23 runs well enough on 9mm that I wouldn't be afraid to carry it. Obviously, that hasn't happened and I doubt it ever will.

Obviously, I'd vote for a Glock 23. I also have a Ruger LCP for when it is not convenient to carry the 23.

(Warren County)

Before the tragic boat fire that claimed all my guns..............

I tried glock .40, 1911 .45, Keltec 9mm P11, a wad of .357 revolvers in 3-6" barrel length a LCP .380, you name it.

A 5 shot .38 special (+p) S&W lightweight is the one that is on me most.
    I rotate the 1911 into duty as whims dictate.
    If I'm headed for FUY (Feral Urban Youth) territory, the glock goes on the belt.

The belt is critical. Since I adopted suspenders to keep my britches up, (Dunlop Syndrome) the bigger guns are not a problem to carry.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast