Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default first time I was asked to leave while open carrying

So my friends Ed and Steve and I were hanging out at his place this evening, when Ed gets a call from St. Luke's hospital, telling him his mother passed out and was taken to the emergency ward. So all three of us drove over to Bethlehem to make sure she was alright. All three of us carry pretty much all the time.

In this particular scenario, Steve was wearing a suit and had a 1911 concealed under his suit jacket. Ed was wearing an untucked white button down shirt, concealing his XD. I, on the other hand, was openly carrying my SW99 on my belt, wearing slacks and a tucked-in gray button down shirt. So we walk into the waiting room, and all take adjacent seats across from where the vending machines are. I got up to grab a cherry coke from the vending machine, went back to sit down. About five minutes later, two gentlemen walk out into the waiting area, making a beeline for the three of us. He asked me if I'd like to step outside or into the vending machine corridor (which is somewhat segregated from the rest of the waiting area), and I said sure.

We walked over and he said "we noticed on the security camera that you're carrying a firearm."

I responded with "Of course," since I was open carrying.

"Are you a law enforcement officer?"

"Not that I know of."

"Well, unfortunately this is private property, and the hospital has a 'no firearms' policy, in order to ensure the safety of our patients and employees."

"I see."

"So, we're going to have to ask you to either leave, or store your firearm in your car during your visit."

"..Ok..." I'm deliberating whether I want to come back at this point.

"I'm really sorry, sir, I understand where you're coming from. I carry all the time when I'm not at work, but the hospital makes the policies, not us."

"Well, it's certainly within the property owner's rights to ask me to leave, so I will."

I shook his hand and introduced myself, and he to me. Then Ed and Steve walked over into the vending area, Ed gave Steve his sidearm, and both Steve and I walked out to store the weapons in my car (Ed had his 8 month old son with him, so he couldn't leave him to go disarm). After securing the weapons in the car, I came back, since I couldn't very well leave Ed defenseless after he left. I kept my empty holster on my belt. No further issues this evening.

While I'm disappointed in the hospital's decision to disarm its visitors, I'm glad to report that the security staff was very attentive, and that they were also polite and personable.

Any other seasoned open carriers who wish to chime in on what I did right, what I did wrong, and what they would have done differently, are certainly welcome. Bear in mind, that there are no signs anywhere that state any 'no firearms' policy on this premises.

ETA: Ed's mom is fine, she passed out due to a very low potassium level, which creates heart palpitations. She's on a potassium feed, and will probably be out tomorrow. She hadn't eaten anything in a couple of days due to lack of appetite, but she should be fine now.
    Last edited by General Geoff; June 5th, 2008 at 12:29 AM.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: first time I was asked to leave while open carrying

You did what I would have done in that situation.

(Northampton County)

I have carried in hospitals,but only concealed. I once had an ankle X-rayed while wearing a Ruger sp101. No,it wasn't in an ankle holster.

You did the right thing when you were confronted by security.

I don't OC,so take it for what it's worth.....
    There are some places where you are just better off covering up. I'm cool with OC but the property owner/management has the final say.

and the hospital has a 'no firearms' policy, in order to ensure the safety of our patients and employees."
    What a joke. As if someone with evil intentions would give a rat's ass about a "no firearms policy". I guess the place was safer after you 3 guys stored your guns.

(Delaware County)

I always CC when visiting a hospital which unfortunately I have done very frequently with an older Mom and mother-in-law and kids. I did have to drive myself to the ER a few years ago and I left my handgun at home because I did not want to leave it in my vehicle when I had every intension of asking the security guard to park my vehicle for me. Which is exactly what I did and they were very cool doing so. I was in a pretty bad way and should have called an ambulance but am just too hard headed sometimes.

I think that you and your friends handled the situation very well and to be honest it sounded like the hospital security guys were as decent about the situation as they could be under the circumstances. That is why I would always CC in such a place.

I hope that your friends Mom is doing better.

(Montgomery County)

Question Re: first time I was asked to leave while open carrying

I don't think the guy liked your gray shirt.

At least he said "unfortunately", meaning he probably agreed with you but wanted to keep his job.

By the way: since he was "security", was HE armed?

(Monroe County)

That was handled well by both parties IMHO.

I think the policy has more to due with the general public and their irrational fears. If they were truly concerned with all firearms they would post it. You could be sitting next to some anti-gun mother whose Son just had his head blown off when opening the front door in south Bethlehem. Not a time or place for a political statement. I`ve carried CC in St Lukes many a time.

(Venango County)

My hospital's sign just says "No Concealed Weapons"...this is after a mercy shooting in the hospital a while ago, though.....So I can't imagine they would be ok with OC either, LOL

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

You all did exactly the right thing +1
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

DO NOT WEAR YOUR FIREARM INTO THE MRI!

Talking Re: first time I was asked to leave while open carrying

Quote Originally Posted by pex View Post
    DO NOT WEAR YOUR FIREARM INTO THE MRI!
    That could actually turn out pretty funny...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast