Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default "Wannabe lawyer" and "law frontiersman" held for trial in gun disturbance

The local paper wrote an article about this preliminary hearing. I did not think they usually wrote full articles and described the results in the crime sections of papers, especially for such low profile cases. I am not sure why they are giving him all this press, wouldn't that just encourage more incidents?
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...en&ct=clnk&gl=
    Man held for trial in gun disturbance
    He acts as own lawyer
    By Jim Smith
    Eagle Staff Writer

Click To Enlarge
    Hobson McKown
    Hobson McKown, a self-described “constitutional and criminal law frontiersman,” appeared at his preliminary hearing Monday armed with a laptop computer, law reference books and legal pads and folders filled with notes.
    The 28-year-old Centre County man came prepared — or so he thought — to challenge a charge that he caused an uproar by bringing a pellet gun into the lobby of the Butler County Courthouse and Government Center last month.
    But McKown’s attempt to represent himself at the hearing before District Judge Pete Shaffer appeared ill-advised from the start.
    McKown came off as confused in the law and confounded by the barrage of objections from prosecutor Richard Bosco and warnings from Shaffer.
    At the end of testimony, Shaffer ordered McKown held for trial on a third-degree misdemeanor charge of disorderly conduct.
    Butler County Deputy Sheriff Mark Peffer was the lone witness to testify at the hearing.
    Peffer recounted how McKown showed up shortly before 3 p.m. Feb. 12. At the security checkpoint, he removed his keys and coins before going through the metal detector
    But in doing so, Peffer testified, McKown “kept his right side away from the deputies” manning the checkpoint that afternoon.
    Only after the angle of his body changed did deputies notice what appeared to be a .45-caliber pistol contained in a holster.
    The deputies told McKown that he could not take the gun into the facility. He objected and cited his Second Amendment right.
    McKown claims the security checkpoints are illegal.
    Peffer said only after the pistol was removed from its holster did deputies realize it was a pellet gun designed to look like a 1911 replica .45-caliber model.
    By failing to disclose that he was carrying a pellet gun, McKown caused “concern and alarm” among the deputies and the public entering and leaving the courthouse and government center.
    McKown asked Shaffer to dismiss the charge, following testimony, arguing a lack of evidence. But the judge denied the request.
    Meanwhile, before McKown cross-examined Peffer, Shaffer warned the wannabe lawyer “if you don’t do it properly, I’ll stop you.”
    But it was Bosco who interceded several times, objecting to McKown’s questioning, primarily based on a lack of relevancy and an obvious lack of expertise in the law.
    Shaffer also repeatedly chastised McKown for a lack of clarity in his questioning.
    “The preamble to your questions are almost beyond comprehensible,” the judge told the defendant at one point.
    McKown was respectful and courteous throughout the hearing and even thanked Shaffer after the proceedings.
    McKown has made a name for himself, of sorts, for challenging Pennsylvania’s concealed carry law.
    He was arrested in 2008 for trying to take a concealed .380-caliber pistol into a district judge’s office in Centre County.
    A jury subsequently convicted him of illegally carrying the gun without a license, a third-degree felony. He was sentenced to 2 years’ probation and prohibited from possessing a firearm.
    McKown later appealed the conviction to the state Superior Court, arguing that the Pennsylvania Uniform Firearms Act of 1995 violates both the state and U.S. constitutions.
    The court in October upheld the constitutionality of the state laws that require an individual to have a valid license to carry a concealed weapon and that prohibit carrying a gun in a courtroom or other facility.
    A State College resident, McKown previously told the Butler Eagle that for the past several months he has been regularly visiting the Butler County courthouse and government center to research law and real estate information, and to look for abuse by public officials.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: "Wannabe lawyer" and "law frontiersman" held for trial in gun disturbance

I knew who this was about before I read the Article, OP as long as you don't start talking in the third person you should be safe from accusations that your a reincarnated MDJ
    Last edited by DennisH82; March 28th, 2014 at 01:34 PM.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: "Wannabe lawyer" and "law frontiersman" held for trial in gun disturbance

and here's the problem... you shouldnt need a lawyer to defend yourself. any 'average' citizen should be more than capable of doing so. but then again.. common sense should prevail too but that isnt often the case.

damn lawyers.
    (thats to include judges, politicians, etc)

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by 90volts View Post
    and here's the problem... you shouldnt need a lawyer to defend yourself. any 'average' citizen should be more than capable of doing so. but then again.. common sense should prevail too but that isnt often the case.

damn lawyers.
    (thats to include judges, politicians, etc)
    If you read up on this fellow and his multiple ranting third person posts you will see why he has the problems that he does.

(Lancaster County)

Here's a smuggled photo of Hobson explaining the circumstances of his recent arrest.

Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Bucks County)

This guy is an ass!!

That is all...

(Allegheny County)

Wow. I would have expected ten pages by now.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

As a (relatively) long time lurker/occasional poster, between this article and reading all the other threads about this clown's shenanigans and ridiculous use of the third person (aside from the fact his name alone sounds like a smacked ass) - every time I read his name I have this overwhelming urge to want to punch babies...

“The preamble to your questions are almost beyond comprehensible,” the judge told the defendant at one point.
    that is nothing! they should have read some of his gibberish on this site!
    Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by 03SVTCobra View Post
    As a (relatively) long time lurker/occasional poster, between this article and reading all the other threads about this clown's shenanigans and ridiculous use of the third person (aside from the fact his name alone sounds like a smacked ass) - every time I read his name I have this overwhelming urge to want to punch babies...
    if you head over to the abortion thread you can incinerate them
    Montani Semper Liberi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast