Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default How do you feel about this "Hawkeye"

I've been looking for something similar for quite a while, preferably made out of wood, however this might do. It would go on a Mossy 500 with an 18.5 inch barrel that I use primarily for home defense. Are they any disadvantages to this grip?

http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=14

(Beaver County)

Default Re: How do you feel about this "Hawkeye"

I think it's a gimmick. Other than in hollywood, pistol grip only configurations are generally regarded as the worst way to outfit a combat shotgun. Having said that, the bird's head grip is the way to go if you're heart is set on a pistol grip. It has the same grip angle as the traditional stock so you won't negate the position of the controls like you would with a normal pistol grip. The recoil will be significant since there is no way to shoulder it which means that this grip will be brutal on your hand. I used to have a Hogue tamer pistol grip and I took it off after shooting it once. The ergonomics were great, it fit the gun perfectly and had a good grip texture but it beat the shit out of my hand! The grip angles are different but the end result is going to be pretty much the same. Make sure you're utilizing the push-pull technique if you go ahead and buy this grip.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Misery Loves Shotguns View Post
    I think it's a gimmick. Other than in hollywood, pistol grip only configurations are generally regarded as the worst way to outfit a combat shotgun. Having said that, the bird's head grip is the way to go if you're heart is set on a pistol grip. It has the same grip angle as the traditional stock so you won't negate the position of the controls like you would with a normal pistol grip. The recoil will be significant since there is no way to shoulder it which means that this grip will be brutal on your hand. I used to have a Hogue tamer pistol grip and I took it off after shooting it once. The ergonomics were great, it fit the gun perfectly and had a good grip texture but it beat the shit out of my hand! The grip angles are different but the end result is going to be pretty much the same. Make sure you're utilizing the push-pull technique if you go ahead and buy this grip.
    I had a common pistol grip on this shotgun originally and it was not fun to shoot, and i figured the same when I was looking at this thing, however I thought it might be little better because it is more horizontal.

I have the 870 version and only used it once before switching to the short pull Hogue stock. What you gain in maneuverability you lose in control, that is the best way I can describe birdshead grips. My shots were much higher than my point of aim, and the local range doesn't allow pistol grips so I did not get to practice much with it. When I switched to the Hogue stock, I managed to get 4/5 headshots with minimal effort, even with rapid fire. If you have your heart set on getting one, I would HIGHLY recommend either a forend strap or tapping the grip for a single point sling.

I've used that grip on an 870 before. Personally I would stick with a stock. It's decent for clearing a house or moving through doorways, but I felt I couldn't control it well. My shots seemed to go either too high or too low. Not a good quality in a firearm I think. Especially when getting shots on target may save your life.

Granted that was from the hip. I liked it even less when I brought it up closer to my line of sight.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

(Allegheny County)

Throw a laser on it or a flash light for pointing You can shoot from the hip all day long and still hit your target (up to a certain range).
    Last edited by Hawk; March 28th, 2014 at 10:00 AM.
    Toujours prêt

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Throw a laser on it or a flash light for pointing You can shoot from the hip all day long and still hit your target (up to a certain range).
    That's good advice right there. OP, if you're going to go the Hawkeye route, follow this advice. It will make you substantially more accurate
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

(Chester County)

^that. If you're going to put a pistol grip of some sort on a shotgun, then you're most likely going to be shooting from the hip (At least I hope you would be shooting from the hip). Put a pressure switch on the pump and throw on a laser and you should be good to go. Also I wouldn't use magnum loads in the shotgun either. Personally I think #4 shot will do just fine, however, that's just personal preference.

(Beaver County)

I cringe when I see people shooting from the hip in movies and on tv. It makes more sense to lose the pistol grip idea completely and use the sights the way they were intended. You're not developing any skill and therefor not accomplishing anything by shooting from the hip and relying on the laser.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Misery Loves Shotguns View Post
    I cringe when I see people shooting from the hip in movies and on tv. It makes more sense to lose the pistol grip idea completely and use the sights the way they were intended. You're not developing any skill and therefor not accomplishing anything by shooting from the hip and relying on the laser.
    I'm not advocating deploying a shotgun without a stock and shooting from the hip. I'm just offering alternate methods to pointing the shotgun without having to look down the barrel.

Developing skill? It takes more skill to effectively deploy a shotgun in a unconventional method than in a conventional one. Does this mean one solely relies on and only practices using "lights"? Nope!

BTW, pointing a shotgun using a mounted lights beam as the POI is nothing new. Its used even when shoulder mounting the shotgun. One should be focusing on the target with a shotgun anyways, not the front sight. A light easily accomplishes that.
    Toujours prêt