Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: IDPA Gear

(Northampton County)

Default IDPA Gear

I want to do some IDPA shooting and need to gear up.

Where does everyone buy the concealment vest. Some one said kmart etc.. but i have never found one yet.

How many Magazines should I have.

How many rounds to bring to a match.

Can I use the Magazine holder that came with My XD 9?

(Mifflin County)

Default Re: IDPA Gear

Quote Originally Posted by jofreder View Post

Where does everyone buy the concealment vest. Some one said kmart etc.. but i have never found one yet.
    I don't use a vest, I just have a button down shirt that's big enough to provide concealment. I know my local Army/Navy surplus store has vests available, and I'm sure other places, but I figured why spend the money when I wouldn't use it for anything else.....

3 should be enough, but it never hurts to have more available, if you have them.
    Check with the club you plan to shoot at, or check their website, they might have the information. Our club suggests 150 rounds, but you generally have ammo left over. Also check and see if they only run the match one time, or two. We run twice, so if you want to shoot both, you need to double your ammo.

Yes.

(Lawrence County)

As above......

Lycan+1thrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Susquehanna County)

You don't need a vest unless you want to use one. Any jacket, shirt, sweater is OK as long as it is long enough to completely cover the holster when you're standing with arms extended at shoulder height.

I prefer to use 4 magazines or for revolver speed loaders. Mags are typically loaded to division maximum capacity and you are usually allowed one in the chamber.

Hopefully the match announcement will give you the round count, but there is no standard so I'll usually show up with 200 or 300 rounds, that way I have plenty in case I decide to reshoot or someone runs dry.

Magazine holders, either double or single are OK, but they must cover a certain amount of the mag (2" as measured from the top of the cartridge rim down the flat back of the magazine). Skeleton type mag pouches or speedloader holders are not permitted.

Your best bet is to visit the IDPA website and look through the online rule book.

(Montgomery County)

1 - Where to get a Vest... several on-line retailers sell the 5-11, etc. As others state... don't need one, can use a ling shirt to cover. As long as you can not see the weapon whe narms are out to the side from front, side and rear = OK

2 - # of Magazines.... Depends on what you are shooting. If a 1911, you are limited to a total of 9 roounds in the gun (division capacity) , and 2 - 8 round magazines on your belt.

Now.. .how do you get 9 rounds in to the gun with only 8 round magazines?
    1 - carry a separate mag (a 4th) with only one round in it... called a "barney Mag" for Barney Fife, who was only allowed one bullet. Insert in to gune, rack slide, remove emty mag, retain, and seat a fully loaded mag... 9 rounds.

Or...if only have 3 mags... insert full mag, rack slide, remove mag, top off mag, re insert in to gun...this is not recommended, as there is too much going on, with a gun in your hand, re-holstering, etc...

If you are shooting in a category that has a 10 round capacity (XD 9), and you have a high cap mag, you can load 11 in to ONE MAGAZINE ONLY, and load that in to the gun... getting you to division capacity, and you only need a total of 3 magazines (one in the gun and 2 on the belt)

3 - How many rounds... depends on the match. I figure on 20 rounds per stage. Might want to bring some extra in the event you need to do a "re-shoot" for whatever reason.

For the PA state match... it iwas 120 round count... I brought 200

Magazine Holder for XD 9... not sure, but probably.

I would recommend a QUALITY gun belt, as it anchors the entire system well...

(Luzerne County)

A: I got a nice vest from Calbelas.

A: At least 4 magazines.

A: Minium 100 rounds.

A: As far as your mag holder, check the IDPA website.

Remember one thing...Don't worry about the timer on your first match, just try to shoot accurately. Good luck and have fun.
    American by birth, Patriot by choice!

(Bucks County)

It's fantastic that you're shooting IDPA. I love it, and can't wait to get back to doing it.

Cover Garment

If you haven't shot IDPA before, clubs will usually allow (and sometimes encourage) you to shoot without any cover garment at all.

From there, there's a few ways of looking at things depending on what you're trying to get out of IDPA.

If you're going to seriously compete and in it for the game/sport aspect, then a 5.11 tactical vest is a good way to go. I bought mine on sales at http://www.lapolicegear.com/5tase.html, but if you google 5.11 vest you can compare prices on-line . . . or support your local gunshop who carries them. Cabela's also sells them.

If you want to use IDPA as serious self-defense training, you should not buy a special cover garment. If you are trying to train for a real life scenario, you should wear what you normally would wear for your IDPA stages.

Magazines

You can't have too many of these. You'll generally only need 1 or 2 for any stage, but to save time reloading between stages, etc. I would recommend at least 4 spares.

Round Count

Some clubs offer their match descriptions the day of their shoot or at least can provide a round count before you arrive. Good advice from people to bring extra in case you want to re-run a course, and the club allows it. Typically I bring 4 boxes (200 rds).

Somebody mentioned getting a good gun belt and I agree 1000%. A solid option is the Wilderness Instructor's belt. It's a night and day difference, and I find myself wearing one most of the time I'm not in a suit these days.