Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Juniata County)

Default My Open Carry at the Mall(s) Experience

Normally I do not write up my OC experiences, or keep a log, because there is nothing to report. The very view interactions I have had have all been neutral, or positive, with only once being asked to show my LTCF when voting, which I declined & was subsequently a non-issue. Juniata county (population 22,000) is located in the middle of the State, and any shopping done in Urban Centers takes me to Harrisburg, State College, or Selinsgrove.

There has been much random speculation about the panic that would be caused if anyone OCed into a mall. However; since no one was bothered by it anywhere else, I never understood why malls would suddenly cause mass panic.

So on the 8th of March I was doing some scouting for my anniversary; my lovely (and pregnant wife) was occupied at a friend's baby shower.

I went to The Colonial Park Mall. I got some stuff at the Hallmark store, checked out place that did facials and such (in case my wife wanted), spoke with a hair styling location (my wife had a slight meltdown over her hair that morning & I wanted to ensure they could help her and be understanding...the pregnancy/work/being-married-to-me got to her).

I left & returned with my wife Did a small amount of shopping together & waited well she got her hair done. By the extreme numbness of my buttocks I would guess it took an hour for her hair, but maybe it was less. I did read an entire Cosmo.

We then went to Aangan/ a fine dining Indian restaurant. The service was very good, the food was amazing, and I would strongly recommend the Taj Mahal beer, imported from India. To my uneducated palate, it taste like a dark beer, but is very lightly golden colored.

This Monday we stopped into Susquehanna Valley Mall to upgrade our phones. Our son got fussy so I carried him around as to not bother the other AT&T patrons; the goodman at the bookstore was helpful but they did not have the text I was looking for.

I have also on two (or three) occasions went to the used book store in the Harrisburg Mall, called 2nd & Charles. I've had no issues there, although other than Bass Pro I do not think there is anything in the mall to draw my attention.

My Conclusion: No one seems to be bothered by about Open Carry in any of the malls in my region. At none of these locations did I encounter any signage. I was not accosted by security, bludgeoned by night-stick wielding policemen, no children were orphaned (most importantly, mine) - like every other "concern" about Open Carry, it appears the concern about Mall Carry, within the Commonwealth, is completely over-hyped.

"Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Northampton County)

Default Re: My Open Carry at the Mall(s) Experience

I've never read any concern on this forum that carrying in a mall would make people panic.

However, what I have read is that almost all malls in the entire Commonwealth have no-guns policies and signs. I think some of the signs started disappearing a few years ago from some reports.

I have also Open Carried in malls, where I have no doubt it was against the rules but I saw no signs (for real). But i think my time in malls the past 6 years included going into a Macys twice (from their entrance), a Radio Shack twice, and a book store once.

People have generally reported that when they open carried in malls, sometimes for months with no problems, they were told to leave the first time security noticed it. And/or had the police called. Now, of course, most people only report when something happens. But it stands to reason that places that make a clear point of banning guns, and have security, will probably enforce the rule.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post

People have generally reported that when they open carried in malls, sometimes for months with no problems, they were told to leave the first time security noticed it. And/or had the police called. Now, of course, most people only report when something happens. But it stands to reason that places that make a clear point of banning guns, and have security, will probably enforce the rule.
    Agreed. No signs present. :-).

I did see security at Harrisburg & Col. Park Mall. No idea if they saw me.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(York County)

I have seen the "No Weapons" sign at Harrisburg Mall. It does not apply at BassPro but if you walk out of BassPro into the Mall there was a sign there as well. Because of this I have only walked into BassPro and not any other part of the mall.

III% - Stand and be counted

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post

I did see security at Harrisburg & Col. Park Mall. No idea if they saw me.
    Probably not. They just walk their route and wait til it's time to go home. Mall security guards are not the most alert group of people I've met. However, if it is brought to their attention, then they usually do their job.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

(Northampton County)

Anyone know if there are any restrictions for carrying at the Lehigh Valley Mall?

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post

However, what I have read is that almost all malls in the entire Commonwealth have no-guns policies and signs.
    My understanding as well, but locally @ Lycoming Mall, I have not been able to find such a sign.

(Delaware County)

I have openly carried at the Lehigh Valley mall on several occasions and have never had a problem. However, I have also carried openly at other malls and not had a problem until someone either pointed me out to a security guard, or one noticed on their own. As was said above, mall security is one of the least situationally aware groups of people I've seen beyond the general populace.
    Junior

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    My understanding as well, but locally @ Lycoming Mall, I have not been able to find such a sign.
    It may not benefit you to look closely at their website..

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    FWIW, this is from their code of conduct PDF at the link you provided in the first post... There should be signs if they're really serious about it. Of course, armed criminals will certainly abide by this requirement...

8. The carrying of any weapon, other than by an authorized law enforcement or security officer, is not permitted.
    (Now, don't somebody go emailing them to suggest about any signage...)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast