Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Am I making a mistake?

I Have The NFA Bug, And Looking At My First Purchase. Sorry About The Capitalization, My Phone Is Acting Strange, But Go Figure, It Worked Fine For The Thread Title.

I'mThinking About A YHM phantom Lt 7.62 As A First Suppressor. Initially It'll Be Hosted On A 5.56 AR (I Also Use A .22 Conversion) but I'm Already Planning On A SBR Stamp And A Shorty 300 BLK Upper. I Like The YHM Because At 20Oz Its Pretty Light For Stainless, 35DB Seems Superb, And The Many QDFlash Hiders Available For A Variety Of Hosts. Right Now, I'm Not Planning On Any Other Hosts, But Who Knows, I HaveSeveral Bolt Actions Ranging From .22 To 7Mm Rem Mag That Could Find Themselves Threaded AtSome Point In The Future.

I Was Looking At SIlencershop.Com And The Price Seems Right, But Will I Be Able To
    Find A Local (Pittsburgh) Ffl To Transfer Without Raping Me? Is The Yhm A Bad Choice? Am I Dumb To Even Attempt To Multipurpose It?
    Thanks In Advance, And Sorry Again About The Crazy Title Casing Of My Typing.

(Washington County)

Default Re: Am I making a mistake?

There are several of us in SW PA that charge $75 to transfer NFA items on paper applications for individual transfers and eForms for trusts transfers.

As for using a suppressor for multiple calibers, you will always get better suppression using the exact suppressor and caliber combination, but you will still get good results with like-size calibers.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Northampton County)

.300 BLK makes way more sense than suppressed 5.56. Suppressed 5.56 is not that much fun. I would get a .30 cal can like you plan and use it on the 5.56.

Call around and see if somebody has it in stock locally. I'd rather spend $75 on gas and mileage to go pick it up than on a transfer fee. Plus it will be at least slightly faster if you buy from somebody's stock since there is one less transfer. Even though the dealer to dealer transfer is pretty quick.

Shooting 5.56 through a 7.62 can is fine, and is what I plan on doing whenever my 7.62 can gets approved. Sound testing I've seen typically puts a 5.56 through a 5.56 can only a few decibels quieter than shooting 5.56 through a 7.62 can, so sound wise, you probably wouldn't be able to tell a difference.

The difference between using a 5.56 can vs. 7.62 on a 5.56 rifle is typically just that the 5.56 can will be shorter and lighter than the 7.62 version...and the few decibels quieter.

Also, I would advise against shooting .22LR through a center fire caliber can that you can not disassemble to clean...admittedly I don't know much about the can you mentioned, but I don't think there are any larger caliber cans that are user serviceable.

If you want to shoot .22, it's probably best to get a .22 dedicated can so it can be periodically cleaned. Plus sub-sonic .22 is probably the most fun caliber to shoot suppressed, it sounds like a pellet gun.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabuz View Post
    Shooting 5.56 through a 7.62 can is fine, and is what I plan on doing whenever my 7.62 can gets approved. Sound testing I've seen typically puts a 5.56 through a 5.56 can only a few decibels quieter than shooting 5.56 through a 7.62 can, so sound wise, you probably wouldn't be able to tell a difference.

The difference between using a 5.56 can vs. 7.62 on a 5.56 rifle is typically just that the 5.56 can will be shorter and lighter than the 7.62 version...and the few decibels quieter.

Also, I would advise against shooting .22LR through a center fire caliber can that you can not disassemble to clean...admittedly I don't know much about the can you mentioned, but I don't think there are any larger caliber cans that are user serviceable.

If you want to shoot .22, it's probably best to get a .22 dedicated can so it can be periodically cleaned. Plus sub-sonic .22 is probably the most fun caliber to shoot suppressed, it sounds like a pellet gun.
    It sounds a lot quieter than a pellet gun.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by ham385 View Post
    I Have The NFA Bug, And Looking At My First Purchase. Sorry About The Capitalization, My Phone Is Acting Strange, But Go Figure, It Worked Fine For The Thread Title.

I'mThinking About A YHM phantom Lt 7.62 As A First Suppressor. Initially It'll Be Hosted On A 5.56 AR (I Also Use A .22 Conversion) but I'm Already Planning On A SBR Stamp And A Shorty 300 BLK Upper. I Like The YHM Because At 20Oz Its Pretty Light For Stainless, 35DB Seems Superb, And The Many QDFlash Hiders Available For A Variety Of Hosts. Right Now, I'm Not Planning On Any Other Hosts, But Who Knows, I HaveSeveral Bolt Actions Ranging From .22 To 7Mm Rem Mag That Could Find Themselves Threaded AtSome Point In The Future.

I Was Looking At SIlencershop.Com And The Price Seems Right, But Will I Be Able To
    Find A Local (Pittsburgh) Ffl To Transfer Without Raping Me? Is The Yhm A Bad Choice? Am I Dumb To Even Attempt To Multipurpose It?
    Thanks In Advance, And Sorry Again About The Crazy Title Casing Of My Typing.
    I have a YHM Stainless QD 7.62, but it's NOT the LT model. I think they're basically the same except the LT is a little lighter and smaller. IMO the can suppresses sound great and is also pretty awesome since it can be used on multiple calibers and different rifles as long as the barrel is threaded with the correct attachment. IMO the YHM is a solid choice. I'll be bringing mine with me to the group shoot in April if you would like to hear it/check it out.
    "Confiscating is not stealing! I warned him!" -Valentin16

(Berks County)

I think the only mistake in an NFA purchase is not buying exactly what you want the first time. These are items that take a long time to get and an extra $200 on top of the purchase price. It's not something you want to cheap out on. Do lots of research and try to get first hand use if possible. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    It sounds a lot quieter than a pellet gun.
    I'm not sure I'd agree with that, but it's pretty damn close.

(Allegheny County)

Verona Gun Safe is a great place for Silencers. They have quite a few in stock.
    Check them out http://www.veronagunsafe.com/

(Berks County)

Sounds like fun, keep us posted with what you get.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast