Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Caliber Choices

(Lehigh County)

Default Caliber Choices

All,

I am going to start hunting this year and need a new deer rifle. There is also a chance I will bear hunt as well... I am trying to decide on what to do for rifle(s). What are your favorite caliber choices for either or both game? Ill be hunting in the Elk county area.

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Caliber Choices

Everyone and their mother will tell you get a 30-06. A .308 is better. Less kick so you are less likely to flinch and be more accurate. Still has more than enough stopping power.

(Franklin County)

Yes, my personal choice would be a .30-06, but then it may depend on a persons frame. If they are large frame or small frame could influence their choice of caliber. I also use a .44 magnum for deer and bear. Also a .270 and the old reliable .30-30 is a good choice. Also the terrain could be a factor, if you are hunting field or brush or both.
    Navy ⚓️ 1965–1969

You won't be hunting anything that requires heavy stopping power. Decide what distance you will likely be hunting and find something within a safe margin of error. Beyond that I would place more thought into your hunt than what caliber you are using.
    FUCK BIDEN

I personally would not hunt bear with anything smaller than a .308.

I have found it to be the most versatile round for the northeast, sure there are more specialized rounds, 30-30 for busting brush, .270 for ranging out, but with both of those rounds, you'll find trade offs.. Unlike the .308... it just does everything well for the area you'll be in.. and a good selection of bullet grains, so you can tailor it further to the area you hunt..
    "North of I-80, we don't dial 911, we dial 223"

(Westmoreland County)

Both the 06 and 308 will take Deer and bear, both have a large following thus a very good selection of factory ammo available for both. One big mistake guys make when buying a new rifle. They buy something that eats up all the funds set aside for a rifle, and don’t think about the scope. Or they fall into one of the combo deals. Most time a scope included in a combo deal is a very low-end scope.

A good rule if you buy a $500.00 rifle put a $250.00 scope on it. The rifle will only shoot, as well as the scope permits.

Nikon and Redfield both sell a decent scope for less than the $250.00 price I mentioned.

(Delaware County)

I plan on trying deer hunting this year. I have never hunted but have been around a few hunters since childhood. I have heard two calibers mentioned the most often. They were 30-06 and 30/30. I bought a used Marlin 336 in 30/30. The reason I went with that is because I always wanted a lever gun and it was the best deal I could find. Cost me $265 and it is in good condition and functions very well. After I did tons of research I had it narrowed it down to those two calibers along with .270.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Somerset County)

You're better off picking a rifle (size, style, action etc) that you like and worry about the cartridge later. Most all rifles will be available in a suitable cartridge. For hunting in that country, I would look at some of the compacts like a Remington Model 7 or find a good used Savage 99 in 300 Savage.

That said, since you listed bears, and Pa. grows some big ones, I'd suggest one of the following: 25-06, 270 Win, 7mm-08, 30-30, 308, 30-06. All are very common and all will do the job just fine.

If you are into a bit more 'unusual' chamberings, then add 257 Roberts, 260 Rem, 280 Rem, 300 Savage, 338 Federal, 358 Win or 35 Whelen to the list.

243 Win, and the 6 mm Rem are also possibilities but I would only use premium bullets (Barnes TSX or Nosler Partition for example) when bear hunting, for deer the common bullets from Hornady or Remington etc are fine. Put a quality scope of around 2-7x or even straight 6X on it and go forth to slay critters.

BTW, caliber generally refers to the size of the hole in the barrel, a 308 and 30-06 are both 30 caliber.

Dale

(Lehigh County)

Thanks all. I am coming from Shotgun only hunting so the rifle thing is all new to me for hunting. I currently own the following:

Ruger Gunsite 308. I was a bit hesitant to use this due to the shorter barrel.

Ruger Mk77 in 223. Not enough for deer in my opinion.

Winchester 44 magnum lever action. I was thinking about using this one.

The good news is that I get to buy a new rifle, now to narrow it down.

Quote Originally Posted by joelitespeed View Post
    Thanks all. I am coming from Shotgun only hunting so the rifle thing is all new to me for hunting. I currently own the following:

Ruger Gunsite 308. I was a bit hesitant to use this due to the shorter barrel.

Ruger Mk77 in 223. Not enough for deer in my opinion.

Winchester 44 magnum lever action. I was thinking about using this one.

The good news is that I get to buy a new rifle, now to narrow it down.
    You already have some bases covered well, the 44 would be a nice choice in dense woods, also may be good on drives, I bet if you work on snap shots with the gunsite, it may also be a good performer.. I'm not up on the PA gun regs except for normal hunting rifles, so its likely one you may want to review before taking the gunsite out to ensure you comply.. . PA is pretty old fashion when it comes to hunting if you know what I mean.. Sometimes looks alone can raise a brow or two from a green warden..
    "North of I-80, we don't dial 911, we dial 223"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast