Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default How does IDPA work?

Do you join and then you are welcome any club holding a match? Not sure how it works. I'm not a member of a club that does IDPA.
    Thanks

(Delaware County)

Default Re: How does IDPA work?

Quote Originally Posted by Takem View Post
    Do you join and then you are welcome any club holding a match? Not sure how it works. I'm not a member of a club that does IDPA.
    Thanks
    You can actually shoot your first match without joining IDPA, but they ask you to join if you're going to continue. I am not a member of any clubs, and have now shot 4 matches at different locations in the past month.

(Berks County)

thanks I was just reading that. I think I'll give it a try. Any tips for shooting or etiquette? I only have 2 mags.

(Delaware County)

thanks I was just reading that. I think I'll give it a try. Any tips for shooting or etiquette? I only have 2 mags.
    1. You will need *at least* 3 mags. I go with 12 pre-loaded for my 1911. Saves time between stages, and even more during stages.
    2. Read the rules, which can be found at www.idpa.com
    3. Check out www.nepaidpascores.net
    4. For etiquette, follow the crowd. They are friendly and helpful.
    5. Identify yourself as a new shooter. They will brief you.
    6. Shoot straight.

(Berks County)

thanks again. I found a 24 min vid on youtube walking me through it. I'll order another mag for my shield.

(Delaware County)

thanks again. I found a 24 min vid on youtube walking me through it. I'll order another mag for my shield.
    If you only have the 7-round and 8-round that came with the Shield, you will want 2 more. You can't load any mags beyond the capacity of the smallest, and if your smallest is 7 rounds you can have 4. If your smallest is 8 rounds you can have 3.

So, order two more 8-rounders - they pretty much cost the same, and the 8s make it easier to grip (Mrs.K carries a Shield 9mm).

You could probably get away with shooting a couple times before joining to see if you like it. I'm a member, but my son isn't and he's shot at least 10 matches. It's cool you are using your carry gun. It's what IDPA was meant for, but almost nobody does that at the matches. Just have fun and take your time. Don't worry about your time or score. Remember, most guys are loading 11 rounds and are shooting full size guns so they will have a huge advantage. IDPA is a lot of fun. Good luck.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    You could probably get away with shooting a couple times before joining to see if you like it. I'm a member, but my son isn't and he's shot at least 10 matches. It's cool you are using your carry gun. It's what IDPA was meant for, but almost nobody does that at the matches. Just have fun and take your time. Don't worry about your time or score. Remember, most guys are loading 11 rounds and are shooting full size guns so they will have a huge advantage. IDPA is a lot of fun. Good luck.
    Agree with the joining statement, but they do ask that you join.

I use my carry gun 'cause that's all I've got.

Yes, 10 rounds instead of 8 is noticable when you're watching someone, but if you're doing it to actually practice your defense skills, you should - IMHO - shoot what you carry.

P.S. - Yeah, have fun, too...

(Montgomery County)

Be safe, have fun.

Gun, decent holster and 3 mags (more doesn't hurt). You don't need a mag holder, you can pull them from your back pocket, but of course that is slower than mag pouches.

When you get to the match. let the staff at the signup know that you are new, there is normally a new shooter briefing about 30-60mins before the start of the match.. So get there early, they also love when you help setup stages.. You will get to meet people faster that way and learn quicker.

Although according to the rule book, you can only shoot once before joining. I do not know of any clubs that strictly follow the rule. The advantage of joining, other than supporting the sport, is shooting sanctioned matches and getting classified. It also allows you to become an official Safety Officer after passing the class.

Your first few times you do not need a cover shirt/jacket. And if you are not comfortable drawing. Let the SO know that and you can start at low ready. Take whatever Procedural they want to give you. I normally don't give any/many to new shooters, but let them know everything they did wrong within the rules. New shooters we're mainly concerned with watching for safety until they start to learn the rules of the game. Doesn't mean we're not looking at safety after that though..

Any other questions just ask. Or if you wanted to meet at the range and go over anything, shoot me a PM, I'm a member over at LPRGC and I could show you how it would be and go over some of the rules and targets etc.. Be warned I am biased toward USPSA and will try to get you into shooting that though, LoL..
    The problem with shooting Chinese bullets is 15 minutes later you wanna shoot again.

(Montgomery County)

Not to hijack the thread, but this would apply to the OP as well...

Pkspawn, is the earliest match at LPRGC really May 23rd? I've been having some trouble with the user-friendliness of the website. Any other upcoming matches in the area?

Also I know most people go for kydex OWB holsters like Bladetech, but do a fair amount opt for leather OWB or hybrid (crossbreed style) IWB? I assume you really should use your EDC rig.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast