Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Default Concealed Carry Seminar in Dubois

There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Concealed Carry Seminar in Dubois

There's 250 to 300 people here, any PAFOAers?

(Mercer County)

Well that was pretty interesting. One private practice attorney, the DA of Clearfield County, a deputy sheriff from Elk County, and the sheriff of Clearfield. Some good info, A LOT of bad info. Particularly from the female deputy from Elk county. She's lost. She was talking about Philly, and I raised my hand and asked why her county's website claims that LTCFs issued outside Philly are not valid in Philly, when the UFA is recognized statewide. She told me that Philly does what they want, and that "if I go to Philly and carry concealed she guarantees that I'll be arrested." I disagreed, and the one attorney stood up and said I was right. She just sat there and smiled.

The attorneys talked all about brandishing. The sheriffs talked all about "registering" guns. Hell the DA thought it was legal to carry a handgun into Canada. Everybody on the panel was pro gun. I will certainly commend them for that. However, it could have been a lot better.
    Last edited by sprrdhawk44; March 24th, 2014 at 10:09 PM.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    Well that was pretty interesting. One private practice attorney, the DA of Clearfield County, a deputy sheriff from Elk County, and the sheriff of Clearfield. Some good info, A LOT of bad info. Particularly from the female deputy from Elk county. She's lost. She was talking about Philly, and I raised my hand and asked why her county's website claims that LTCFs issued outside Philly are not valid in Philly, when the UFA is recognized statewide. She told me that Philly does what they want, and that "if I go to Philly and carry concealed she guarantees that I'll be arrested." I disagreed, and the one attorney stood up and said I was right. She just sat there and smiled stupidly.

The attorneys talked all about brandishing. The sheriffs talked all about "registering" guns. Hell the DA thought it was legal to carry a handgun into Canada. Everybody on the panel was pro gun. I will certainly certainly commend them for that. However, it could have been a lot better.

There is one here in York County, scheduled for May 1. It's already full.

I've been put on the list for the next one, October 1st.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    There is one here in York County, scheduled for May 1. It's already full.

I've been put on the list for the next one, October 1st.
    I hope it's better than the one I just sat through. The female deputy from Elk also told us all about Mealanie Hain and how she scared everyone by open carrying. She made a big deal about another point of hers, one that I wasn't so sure of. She told everyone that it is VERY illegal to carry at a school function that isn't held on school property. For example, if a school is having a track meet at a park or some such, you are NOT allowed to be there. Hopefully Gunlawyer will chime in on that.

(Jefferson County)

I saw a notice somewhere for the seminar, but when it started I had just pulled in my driveway in Brookville from working in Somerset County all day.. ..when I first saw the notice I thought to myself that I better not go because I'd end up taking over the event. (I get kind of assertive when bad info is being spoken)
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I saw a notice somewhere for the seminar, but when it started I had just pulled in my driveway in Brookville from working in Somerset County all day.. ..when I first saw the notice I thought to myself that I better not go because I'd end up taking over the event. (I get kind of assertive when bad info is being spoken)
    You would have been frustrated. I had my hand up several times, but was only called on the one time at the beginning, when I made my statement about the UFA applying to the entire state.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    I hope it's better than the one I just sat through. The female deputy from Elk also told us all about Mealanie Hain and how she scared everyone by open carrying. She made a big deal about another point of hers, one that I wasn't so sure of. She told everyone that it is VERY illegal to carry at a school function that isn't held on school property. For example, if a school is having a track meet at a park or some such, you are NOT allowed to be there. Hopefully Gunlawyer will chime in on that.

She's wrong. School property, buildings, grounds. There is the Fed 1000' GFSZ, but of course your LTCF covers you for that.

I did attend on of these last year, in Dover, York County IIRC. It wasn't bad, one of the police chiefs had only one or two things to say about OC, and if you consider that we still get reports of negative encounters I couldn't really argue the point. I also walked past all the 'presenters' when I went in and I know they all saw it because the asked by show of hands how many were OC. I think I was the only one with my hand up.

I also corrected their attorney on state park carry when he said it was not legal. I was able to look up the relevant statute and correct him after the class. He took it pretty seriously, looked it up in his own book, and agreed with me on the spot.

The same attorney is doing the one in May, the one I can't get into and I was hoping to see how the two compared. Now I'll have to wait until October.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    She's wrong. School property, buildings, grounds. There is the Fed 1000' GFSZ, but of course your LTCF covers you for that.

I did attend on of these last year, in Dover, York County IIRC. It wasn't bad, one of the police chiefs had only one or two things to say about OC, and if you consider that we still get reports of negative encounters I couldn't really argue the point. I also walked past all the 'presenters' when I went in and I know they all saw it because the asked by show of hands how many were OC. I think I was the only one with my hand up.

I also corrected their attorney on state park carry when he said it was not legal. I was able to look up the relevant statute and correct him after the class. He took it pretty seriously, looked it up in his own book, and agreed with me on the spot.

The same attorney is doing the one in May, the one I can't get into and I was hoping to see how the two compared. Now I'll have to wait until October.
    That was my understanding, but she had such a hard on for it, and was going to such great lengths to make her point that I had a moment of doubt about whether or not the rules are different for events held off school property.

I'm unable to rep you right now my friend, but I will as soon as I can.

There was also a good amount of the "common sense" bs about what you should do when a cop asks to see your LTCF when you're open carrying. Had my hand up pretty high for that one, too.
    Last edited by sprrdhawk44; March 24th, 2014 at 11:57 PM.

Worst people to go to find out about firearms laws.

1. Police officers

2. Gun shop owners

3. Attorneys who practice in areas other than firearms laws

Best place to find out about firearms laws.

1. Average people who absolutely have to follow all rules, regulations, nuances and fine print in order to stay out of jail.

Knowledge is free, learn the law yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast