Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Is the Remington 870 Wingmaster worth the premium over the Remington 870 Express?

I am in the market for another 12ga. I want this to be my "do all" shotgun. I have different shotguns for different tasks (home defense, goose hunting, etc.) but I want this one to do it all. Mainly hunting and trap shooting. At first I was going to get a Remington 1100 but I think I'm going to get the pump instead. My question is: Is the Wingmaster worth the extra money? My LGS has the Wingmaster in stock for a little over $700. I can get the Express combo for $200-300 less.

1. Should I spend the extra money and get the Wingmaster?
    2. Should I just buy the Express combo?
    3. Should I say forget the pump and buy the Remington 1100?

Why?

Default Re: Is the Remington 870 Wingmaster worth the premium over the Remington 870 Express?

The difference is in the quality and finish. The Express is designed as your entry level (budget) shotgun. It will perform fine for most use but in my opinion it is ugly. If price is not an issue I would spend the extra money on the Wingmaster or an 1100.

I had a Wingmaster as a kid and loved it. Approx 20 years ago I bought an Express at KMart. It worked fine but it looked like a low value shotgun. About 4 years ago I had it converted into a block shooting gun with the addition of a bull barrel.

If it were me I would look at the used market. There are plenty of Wingmasters and 1100s out there. As recently as last summer I have seen used 1100s in good condition for as little as $275 (still regret passing on it).

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Is the Remington 870 Wingmaster worth the premium over the Remington 870 Express?

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    The difference is in the quality and finish. The Express is designed as your entry level (budget) shotgun. It will perform fine for most use but in my opinion it is ugly. If price is not an issue I would spend the extra money on the Wingmaster or an 1100.

I had a Wingmaster as a kid and loved it. Approx 20 years ago I bought an Express at KMart. It worked fine but it looked like a low value shotgun. About 4 years ago I had it converted into a block shooting gun with the addition of a bull barrel.

If it were me I would look at the used market. There are plenty of Wingmasters and 1100s out there. As recently as last summer I have seen used 1100s in good condition for as little as $275 (still regret passing on it).
    Thanks MT1. I was leaning towards the Wingmaster but I wanted to hear what the overall opinion was. I'm still considering a 1100 as well. I'm going to start looking at a few pawn shops in the area for some used models. The only problem is that most I see are in rough shape and I don't mind spending a little more for something that is "purdy."

Thumbs up Re: Is the Remington 870 Wingmaster worth the premium over the Remington 870 Express?

I have the 1100 and 870 wingmaster, and 1187. But i like my 870 Express better,I have been in to guns for over 50 years, Buy the 870 express and be happy.Have a safe day.Guns54.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by guns54 View Post
    I have the 1100 and 870 wingmaster, and 1187. But i like my 870 Express better,I have been in to guns for over 50 years, Buy the 870 express and be happy.Have a safe day.Guns54.
    Is there a reason you like the Express over the others?

(Luzerne County)

The story is that some of the small parts are different. The express uses plastic or MMI made parts and the regular wingmaster uses machined parts. There is a report from Remington to police departments explaining the difference between 870 police and 870 express...
    You don't have enough guns untill you don't know how many you have.

(Allegheny County)

I'm aware of the differences. I'm just wondering if that justifies the much higher price. Now I'm leaning back towards the 1100 so we'll see.

(Franklin County)

Maybe they aren't making some of them like they used to, but all I know is that I have had my Remington Wingmaster since 1958, shot it every hunting season except for very few and I have never had any work done on it.
    Navy ⚓️ 1965–1969

(Bucks County)

Get a used Wingmaster. Same price (or less) than a new Express.

New Expresses can have issues, old Wingmasters do not.

(Montgomery County)

I've got three or four Wingmasters at this point (TB/Magnum/2.75"), however, I only bother looking at older models in good condition.

While my brother has an Express and it works fine, shooting the older Wingmasters (pre-80s are my experience) are a night and day difference.

I'm always tempted to add more when I come across an older one for <$400, and have scored most of mine $375 or less. Never had a hiccup with any of them and used the crap out of them at the range before I got my Benelli.

Just my limited experience with a handful of them.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast