Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Willing an old gun:

Question:

I know a lady who collects WWII stuff, not a serious collector, just enough to decorate her den. She has a Thompson machine gun (Tommy Gun) and before you ask, I don't know a lot about it, as exactly which kind. Anyway she got it from an elderly man that lived next door before he passed away because he didn't want his grand kids finding it attic and he didn't want it anymore. Well after she got it she took it to a smith and he spent a few months cleaning and fixing it to operational use. Well since she knew I drooled over the thing she wants to will it to me. The question is, is it even legal? I mean I'm quite ignorant on the laws, and I know IF she doesn't have a bill of sale, or a permit can it be legally willed to me? I'm just ignorant on the whole situation.

Thanks for the help in advance!
    -LB

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Willing an old gun:

If it is truly a Thompson Submachine gun. and it is fully operational and she doesn't have the tax stamp. she is looking to get busted, the smith is in trouble. and it can't be willed to you. it can only be turned in. On the other hand, if it has been blessed by the bat boys, it is a true find and worth a lot of bucks. Before you can take possession you will need to do the 200 tax thing. If it turns out to be a modern mfg and is semi auto only, your good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by L-B View Post
    Question:

I know a lady who collects WWII stuff, not a serious collector, just enough to decorate her den. She has a Thompson machine gun (Tommy Gun) and before you ask, I don't know a lot about it, as exactly which kind. Anyway she got it from an elderly man that lived next door before he passed away because he didn't want his grand kids finding it attic and he didn't want it anymore. Well after she got it she took it to a smith and he spent a few months cleaning and fixing it to operational use. Well since she knew I drooled over the thing she wants to will it to me. The question is, is it even legal? I mean I'm quite ignorant on the laws, and I know IF she doesn't have a bill of sale, or a permit can it be legally willed to me? I'm just ignorant on the whole situation.

Thanks for the help in advance!
    -LB

(Montgomery County)

thanks for the reply, i'm unfamiliar with the whole tax thing. I'll have to look into it.
    If the weapon isn't kosher as they say, can it be plugged and made inoperable so one could keep it as decoration?

forgive my ignorance.

-LB

(Tioga County)

check out the guys and gals in the NFA / Title II forum. they can help you.

Quote Originally Posted by L-B View Post
    thanks for the reply, i'm unfamiliar with the whole tax thing. I'll have to look into it.
    If the weapon isn't kosher as they say, can it be plugged and made inoperable so one could keep it as decoration?

forgive my ignorance.

-LB