Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Lawrence County)

Default Re: Duke's , New Castle

Quote Originally Posted by iShoot17 View Post
    I am always suggesting people check out Duke's. They are a stand up crew.
    Until something like Sandy Hook happens and all of the sudden their $250 10/22 has a $500 price tag on it and $14 Pmags are $40-$50 each. They can suck a cock just like all the other dealers that gouge when it's a sellers market but are your best buddy when it's a buyers market. No better than Dicks. Matter of fact they should change the name from Dukes to Dicks.

Quote Originally Posted by jerkin View Post
    Until something like Sandy Hook happens and all of the sudden their $250 10/22 has a $500 price tag on it and $14 Pmags are $40-$50 each. They can suck a cock just like all the other dealers that gouge when it's a sellers market but are your best buddy when it's a buyers market. No better than Dicks. Matter of fact they should change the name from Dukes to Dicks.
    jerkin;

Point well made, and it needed to be heard. I haven't been in there in some time, and was not aware of the facts you bring up.
    Last edited by iShoot17; March 25th, 2015 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Wording altercation.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by jerkin View Post
    I don't know if this was the case for this store, but I've worked retail and let me tell you how the store sees these events. Say you are the store owner. Your customers all hurry to your store to buy you out of the "hot" items, because OMG sky is falling! This leaves you without stock of items you now can't REstock, because everyone everywhere is out of anything they didn't mark up. People hoarding normal items kills your business.

If you get in a box of pmags and put them out for $11 you'll have to limit how many people can buy, because the first shitbag customer who is happy to tell YOU how you are a vulture POS gun store will buy every last mag to resell during the "crisis" or to stuff under their bed and never use. Either way, you have none for your customers. If you mark them up you are the bad guy, even if you mark them up because you had to pay full retail to get the damn things. If you don't have them, you are the bad guy because you "never have anything I need" when you come in.

You don't have any idea what it is like for a retailer to have dozens of people per day that they've never seen before nor ever see again come in ONLY for some super rare, super hot, collectible, shiny item and then go insane when you tell them either you don't have any, that you have them and they are limited, or that you have them marked up. Then they stalk out like you personally fucked them and go tell everyone how much you suck, even though they were never a customer.

All that said, they COULD have just been like "yeah let's make bank on these suckers while we can" and that's terrible. IF that's what happened. Assuming that's the case doesn't necessarily make it so.

I haven't been in their in some time
    Wrong one guy.

and was not aware of the facts you bring up
    Same here.
    It has to start someplace... It has to start sometime...
    What better place than here? What better time than now! - RAtM

(Butler County)

Duke's is great - i've bought several firearms from them. Their "layway" plan is more than generous as well. i was told to put down what i can, and pay when i can. everyone that works there is awesome, i've always had great experiences there. thinking about it, its been way too long since i've been there last...

(Lawrence County)

I started Buying from Duke when he had the shop in his garage before moving into town. I enjoyed his store on E. Washington St. before he built in the current location. We've had our run-ins over the years but I still enjoy doing business there. His son Wes has always treated me very well, and the staff is easy to tolerate.

When I was buying guns for our club raffle,($8>10K per year), his prices were always in the running. The years we used him there weren't any snags to speak of. I think Duke's is still the best shop in Lawrence county.
    For those who've never fought for it, the price of freedom shall never be known.

Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post
    Wrong one guy.
    Good catch. I fixed it.

I do have to agree with your post though. Simple economics show that when demand is up and supply stays the same (or goes down in some cases), prices go up.

As buyers, we complain about prices, wishing the market could be what it used to be, etc. However, raised prices are not really felt until we try to buy something, in this case, PMags. PMags were on millions of other American's shopping list because they were afraid they could not get them in the future. The market demand, established by the buyers, went through the roof.

I do not, and will not, put Duke's under the bus. I still recommend them and will continue to do so. If everyone did not want PMags, the market would not be up so high, and would give us no reason to complain; however, when people go in to buy PMags because they are scared they won't be available, they get angry because prices are up.

Stores need to stay in business.

Duke's has always been fair to me and treated me well. Wes was, is, and I'm sure will continue to be stand up. Don't buy something that everyone else in the world wants, and you won't have to worry about raised prices.

Duke's is a store that will remain on my list as one of the best stores in the area.
    Last edited by iShoot17; March 25th, 2015 at 09:38 PM.

(Allegheny County)

I can't comment on the PMAG prices, but I have been in there 5 or 6 times in the last few months, and I have always been treated well. So far, the service and prices (at least for handguns) are the best I have found. It's definitely worth the drive in from Pgh.

(Allegheny County)

My wife picked up a Ruger MKIV 22/45 Lite in Purple today from Duke's. Great service and they even offered a small drop in price for her...

We drive up from the South Hills from time to time and have bought 4 guns from them over the years. Its also nice that they allow us to bring in our Boston pup, "Bullitt"; he likes to go and check out the new guns from time to time.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(McKean County)

Bumping this thread as a shout out to Dukes and their staff.

I met a fellow there to do a private transfer. $35 for the transfer. Other places are higher, others are lower.

The staff there could not be more friendly and concerning that you are being waited on and your needs are being met. How many times do you walk into a store and are thoroughly ignored until someone is good and ready ... Not at Dukes. It was a bit busy when I arrived in but in a few moments I was at least greeted and told someone would be with me in short order.

Big thumbs up. Prof
    The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12