Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SBR AR-15's

(Chester County)

Default SBR AR-15's

Well Gentlemen and possibly ladies-
    Today I purchased a Colt upper for $500 which was used. It is an SBR upper. I have yet to purchase a lower and do all of the paper work and fun things that go along with it, however I was posting to ask for some help in my search for a lower. The guy I usually deal with at targetmaster was telling me I could get a Stag, or Rock River Arms lower pretty cheap and that they were good quality. From my readings on the internet over the past year I will take this statement to be true. He did mention that RRA takes a while to get stuff to people so that might make me lean in another direction for a lower. He also told me about Spikes Tactical lowers, didn't mention anything about quality but said they were pretty cool. Looked them up on the internet and yea they look cool but are they any good? I have several questions...can you guys recommend some good lowers and places to get them that might be relatively cheap? Are the fully assembled lowers better than the stripped? I was told that some lowers the triggers are awful while on others they are fine, not sure if this was a reference from brand to brand or not. Any general help would be greatly appreciated. I can't wait to get this thing put together in the coming weeks.

Also could someone quickly go over the procedure for the paper work for a NFA item? I know I need two passport photos and a fingerprint card, how does the paperwork part of this work? From my understanding I buy the item, complete the paperwork, have the sheriff sign, and then it gets sent to the ATF?

Thanks very much

Default Re: SBR AR-15's

first things first I hope you don't have a completed lower at your house(that includes another built and completely assembled AR)

As for the lowers there are quite a few companies out there, and the majority origin from the same 2 or 3 manufactures. you can usually find assembled lowers for around $225 or so. RRA are more expensive and ordering from the factory the wait is around 6months I believe.

You will need to file an ATF form 1 on it, you'll need 2 passport photos, 2 fingerprint cards, a citizenship form, and you'll need a signature by a CLEO.

(Delaware County)

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=22&t=199905

This should help you out.

If your sheriff does not do fingerprint cards, the state trooper barracks just south of the Granite Run mall, on Rte 1 will do them for you. Just make sure you call them first. They will inform you when to come in.
    Last edited by reels18; June 4th, 2008 at 01:14 PM.

(Chester County)

XD45-
    I do not have any kind of lower in my house. The only other long guns I have are a shotgun and a .30-06 bolt action rifle.

Would I be better off ordering a complete lower? Or should I get a stripped one and buy the other components separately?

(Blair County)

Talk to your closest NFA dealer, he may be able to get you a lower that comes registered as an SBR. That way, you transfer it on a Form 4 as opposed to building it on a Form 1. The paperwork is similar, and the money is the same, but you don't have to fool with getting your reciever engraved.
    PREPARE FOR BATTLE

(Montgomery County)

as a note, I moved this to the NFA section where it belongs.

also, as a note, please read the stickies at the top of the NFA section, which explain the NFA process.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMoose View Post
    XD45-
    I do not have any kind of lower in my house. The only other long guns I have are a shotgun and a .30-06 bolt action rifle.

Would I be better off ordering a complete lower? Or should I get a stripped one and buy the other components separately?
    I would suggest you get a stripped lower, for a few reasons. 1 you need the serial number off the lower to fill out the form 1, and you can't have the completed lower near that upper until your papers are back to you approved. Also you may need to have it stripped for engraving depending on what route you go to have that done.

This thread will show you how easy it is to assemble a lower http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782.

I would get a stripped lower, fill out the form 1. While thats away have it engraved(orion arms does a great job if noone local can do it, also you can do it yourself just make sure it meets their sizing specs), order a lower parts kit with a stock. wait wait wait when your papers are approved put together the lower slap'em together and go have fun.

PS, while typing this reply my mailman came with my approved form 1

(Northampton County)

I just recently purchased a Spikes Tactical lower (SL-15) That has the color filled pictograms for the safe and fire positions. I have not put a trigger in it yet (waiting for a skeletonized Timney that I ordered) so I cannot speak to how a trigger fits it. I can say that the finish was very good. The color is a little darker than a stag lower (closer to black than gray). All of the markings and the logo are machined in, not stamped, so they are all perfect. I ordered mine directly from Spikes tactical and I think it was $131 delivered to the ffl and it arrived in 1 week. It seems to be a quality piece and the pictograms set it apart from most other lowers. I'll let you know how the Timney fits in the next couple of weeks. By the way, I ordered the Timney from MSTN Midsouth Tactical Network for $199 which is at least $25 cheaper than I have seen it anywhere else. The guy at MSTN was great. When I asked him why his price was that low for the Timney he said that "that’s about as much as a trigger should cost". Go with the Spikes Lower, you will not be disappointed.
    "Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who do not.”
    --- Benjamin Franklin

i'm sure the spikes lower is quality, those guys at arfcom freak out over anything and they have an arfcom lower there soo..

anvil arms can do custom lowers, and he also has someone who engraves off site for an extra fee.

(Chester County)

is it possible for you to post most information on the anvil lowers or a location where I could find out more? Thank you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast