Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Range/Shooting Options in Cambria County

I just joined here to learn about shooting/range opportunities down around Cresson and Gallitizin. I'm considering a move to central Pennsylvania from out of state. Hunting and shooting are among my primary interests. I have a limited SS income and will be looking for affordable housing. A couple of places in that part of the Commonwealth have caught my attention. I've passed through the area on the train, but never set foot on the landscape.

A few questions:
    If I live in the Cresson area, what are my options for shooting? Is there a gun club down there? I don't necessarily require one to shoot, especially if there happen to be other places such as abandoned strip pits, quarries or other waste areas where a person can legally shoot.

I notice on the map a number of State Game Lands around the Cresson area. Does the Game Commission allow target shooting on SGLs that do not have a range?

If I have to join a club, that's fine, but it would be nice to have several nearby options for plinking, throwing a few hand trap or handgunning at novelty targets. We frequently did this where I grew up in western Penna and never had trouble but that was half century ago.

Look forward to hearing from you shooters. I welcome suggestions or ideas about other possible areas and towns where the shooting opportunities might be more abundant. I know the National Forests where I now live will allow shooting at most any place as long as its done safely, but I'm not sure about the Allegheny NF.

Edit: Okay, this belongs in the Ranges subforum - missed that one.
    Last edited by IMR3031; March 22nd, 2014 at 10:07 PM.

(Blair County)

Default Re: Range/Shooting Options in Cambria County

You can't shoot in the SGL in PA unless its an offical range. Closest one to Cresson is over near Prince Gallitzin State Park.

There are a couple clubs that are in the area, one right outside Cresson heading to Loretto (I can't remember the name but its on the left). There is Bear Rock Sportsmans off 53 heading towards Portage. South Fork has a long range (600 yds I think).

If you go "down the mountain" to Hollidaysburg there Hollidaysburg Sportsmans Club which has a decent facility.

I know there are some other clubs scattered west of Cresson but I don't know there territory as well that way.

Oh ya and don't shoot inside the boundary of Allegheny Portage Railroad National Historic Site, that doesn't go over well.
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

Default Re: Range/Shooting Options in Cambria County

Thanks, Joe. Sounds like there will be plenty of options for shooting down that way.