Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Traveling to Tennesse

Ok we are leaving about 04:30 in the morning for Tennesse;I know I can carry in Virginia,WV;and Tennesse I also know the short stent on 81 going through Maryland I should lock it up in the trunck.Question is what are the rules if pulled over in the other states.I heard on thought I read that in Virginia weapon must be out in the open? So no CC?

Default Re: Traveling to Tennesse

do some reading on this site http://handgunlaw.us/

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    Ok we are leaving about 04:30 in the morning for Tennesse;I know I can carry in Virginia,WV;and Tennesse I also know the short stent on 81 going through Maryland I should lock it up in the trunck.Question is what are the rules if pulled over in the other states.I heard on thought I read that in Virginia weapon must be out in the open? So no CC?
    PA and VA have agreements. Our PA license is good there, so you can conceal in a vehicle... in VA, open carry is legal with or without a license even in vehicles.

Maryland- guns gotta be unloaded, securely encased and in trunk or far part of vehicles without trunks, and ammo has to be separate.

I know in WV you are not required to notify an LEO if pulled over of your firearm, cant remember about VA, KY or TN. If you pass through NC and get stopped - you absolutely MUST notify the LEO.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Chester County)

Thanks Knight been running around taking the wife to Dr. appts and stuff and just haven't had time to read up.Going to our annual Paratrooper 3 day keg party with a venture to Barretts private range Saturday will try and get so nice pics

(Philadelphia County)

I know this is 1 day behind, but I just wanted to relay my personal experience with driving to TN a couple of weeks ago. I live in Philly so the shortest route is to go through MD and VA; however, I wanted to carry while driving so I used Google Maps to map the route. With Google Maps, you can drag the routes around and avoid certain segments. I ended up by-passing MD altogether and only went thru WV, KY, then to TN. It was only 15 or 20miles more than the original route...a fraction of the total 950+ miles and I skipped all I-95 Memorial Day weekend traffic.

Al

I will also be traveling to VA and TN starting this Saturday. I have searched the web looking for all information I can find on the laws of each state and where you can and cannot carry. Example: You can carry conceal in VA unless you decide to eat in a place that sells alcohol, in which case you must OC. What I am wondering about though, is there a restriction on ammunition such as JHP? Any input would be greatly appriciated

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Driver400 View Post
    I will also be traveling to VA and TN starting this Saturday. I have searched the web looking for all information I can find on the laws of each state and where you can and cannot carry. Example: You can carry conceal in VA unless you decide to eat in a place that sells alcohol, in which case you must OC. What I am wondering about though, is there a restriction on ammunition such as JHP? Any input would be greatly appriciated
    Check with the state police websites. I know for a fact that there are no ammunition restrictions in TN; however, it's the same with VA in the alcohol restriction. Some states won't allow you to enter an establishment that sells alcohol & food, but other WILL as long as you don't hang around the bar drinking. I played safe and avoided places that serve alcohol altogether while carrying; else, I leave the gun in the hotel or car.

Al