Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig Mosquito

(Montgomery County)

Smile Sig Mosquito

Took my Mosquito to the range today. It's the second time I had it out. I used TW25B for the first time. That stuff works great.

This time I put 50 rounds of mini mag then 50 rounds of golden bullet. 1 FTF. I tried some Winchester a Super X and i couldn't get any to cycle properly.

I then put some break free on the feed ramp, chamber and oil hole on the slide. I then shot another 50 rounds of mini mags and 150 rounds of golden bullet (no additional cleaning) with 2 FTF & 1 FTE.

Summary: 300 rounds, 3 FTF, 1 FTE. mini mags were nearly flawless and golden bullet worked very well. Winchester didn't work at all.

Does anyone have any other ammo recommendations?
    Drew

(Centre County)

Default Re: Sig Mosquito

Quote Originally Posted by Marlo drew View Post

Summary: 300 rounds, 3 FTF, 1 FTE. mini mags were nearly flawless and golden bullet worked very well. Winchester didn't work at all.
    Don't worry. It'll get a lot worse in time
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Montgomery County)

I've used Blazer Silver box, Remington Hornet, Rem Yellow Jacket and CCI Stinger with success in my Skeeter.

Try CCI Velocitors. My 10/22 wouldn't run on anything when it was new, even after hand charging the thing a ton. Mini mags was giving me a failure or two every mag change. The Velocitors gave me a failure every 100 rounds, or so. After nearly 1000 rds, I could use the bulk stuff.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Philadelphia County)

CCI standard velocity has worked for me.

(Chester County)

Sorry man, but every Mosquito I've shot and heard about from friends has been a "jam-o-matic".

Your failure rate is rather low of a Mosquito. I hope you got a good one and not an average one. Good luck.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Marlo drew View Post

I then put some break free on the feed ramp, chamber and oil hole on the slide.

Does anyone have any other ammo recommendations?
    This seems to be the real key to keeping the Mosquito running well. Keep the extractor oiled (every 100 to 150 rounds for me) and the feed ramp clean and lubed (I keep an oiled Qtip on the bench with me) and mine fires reliably and consistently.

I've been running the 525 bulk packs of Remington Golden Bullets without issue. It really seems to like the brass plated, round profile of the bullet.

CCI Blazers and Stingers have also run very well for me, as well as the MiniMags (when I can get my hands on them).

Remington Yellow Jackets will give me some feeding issues as the ramp dries. Seems the little Sig doesn't like blunt nose bullets (wad utter shape) The Yellow Jackets do OK because they are plated, but strait lead with the same profile doesn't like to reliably feed.

Was having FTF and FTE issues with Federal 'white box' bulk packs initially, but that was before I really got the gun running right. I may go back to them next range trip to see how they do now. Being straight lead, my gut is that they'll run a bit 'dirty' and require a little more attention. I've also noticed, even in the Mk III and Neos, that I get a few more failure to fires, so I'm inclined to think the ammo is as much to blame for this.

With the lightweight spring in it, CCI standard velocity seems to work well, and actually was giving me the best accuracy at 25' - but this was also before I got the gun well sorted.

(Chester County)

Ive never heard of a semi auto .22lr that did not sing with mini-mags. I always thought they were the gold standard for consistent feeding, etc.
    “The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny. Not to hunt.” Ice-T

(Chester County)

Recommendation? Sell it and get a Ruger MK II, not a MK III.

(Chester County)

I had a Mosquito and got it to run with minimags, but it still wasn't reliable. I ended up selling it to a gunshop and sucking up the loss, as I could not in good conscience sell it to someone who expected it to work.

It was a fun gun to shoot when it worked, and it got my SO back to the range after many years. It also got her through the NRA Basic Pistol course. She has since moved on to a nice 9mm. It did serve a purpose.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast