Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Bullet -size followup: If you could buy ONE big "newbie" book..

If you were starting as a day-old newbie again, what SINGLE book would you have recommended to yourself back then so as to get a jump start? Preferably, an all-encompassing book that covers shotguns, handguns, rifles, and the variants in between. One that would have pictures of every ammo type known to man, a nice military section, etc.

While I got a nice, thorough reply that many folks spent lots of time on, I have about 25 other questions on other topics, and that's not counting my follow-up questions to the stuff I've yet to learn.

I thoroughly believe in doing my own research, but I'd like the source first. And yes, I know this site and others would probably have all I need...but curling up in bed with my laptop on a rainy night just doesn't have that same appeal, lol.

Now taking expert SINGLE book recommendations. And thanks in advance.

(Washington County)

Default Re: Bullet -size followup: If you could buy ONE big "newbie" book..

To be honest, I've gotten more from here than any other source. Shooters Bible used to be a great source, but over the years has weakened considerably. I like the varied opinions I get here, and if all concur on a point, you have a winner.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGuy View Post
    If you were starting as a day-old newbie again, what SINGLE book would you have recommended to yourself back then so as to get a jump start? Preferably, an all-encompassing book that covers shotguns, handguns, rifles, and the variants in between. One that would have pictures of every ammo type known to man, a nice military section, etc.

I recommend "The PAFOA Forums"

Seriously! Use the search box in the upper left corner there. If you can't find what you are looking for with it, then ask away! There is a HUGE amount of knowledge to be tapped here!

(Washington County)

Exactly. No single book exists that would cover every facet needed to give a noob a complete understanding.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by BenningBoy View Post
    Exactly. No single book exists that would cover every facet needed to give a noob a complete understanding.
    What about a single book that would give a noob an understanding of the basics with references to other sources for more detailed information?

ie: When I started teaching myself networking, I picked up a copy of "Networking Complete" (877 pages) from Sybex publishing which is a compilation of the basics from 12 different books (each 850+ pages) that cover specific networking topics in depth.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

(Washington County)

Yes, but does it exist? I don't forsee muzzleloaders in my future, and as much as I'd like to reload, I haven't the time or money. C&R, NFA, competition shoots, tactical, hunting, firearms entail alot. I'm unaware of a book in existence that even glosses over the many facets of gun world. Every speciality within our realm requires alot of info.

(Philadelphia County)

I too don't think there is a single book out there that covers that much information. For a good general overview of the types of firearms out there and basically a rundown of how they operate, a book from Janes or Military Firearms of the world should have beginning sections covering this in general terms.

You may also try to see if you can find a "firearms history" book if you really want to go that far back to see how the first firearms worked and how they improved and modernized over the centuries.

But since we have the internet, the next best thing, or the equally best thing is just to visit forums, search, read.

Also, just go to gun shops, ask to see stuff, ask about how they work...You could get false/bad info from there, but at the very least you can see firearms in person and get an idea.

I don't know how much you need/want to know, but you can also just Google generic terms like "single action", "double action", "open bolt", etc.

I understand your enthusiasm, but a hobby like this really isn't learned in one shot. There are experts in some areas that can still learn about other things from other areas. The one thing that is common are the basics like handling and safety, that's what you need to learn first.

Designations, different types of ammo, military usage, collectibility, history, etc. you all learn along the way as you find out what more of your interests are.
    Last edited by Garpman; June 4th, 2008 at 02:10 PM.

(Luzerne County)

There is a book. It is called cartirdges of the world, if you are looking for a book on bullets.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Centre County)

There really isn't one book that would do what you're asking, just because of the enormity of the subject matter. There isn't even an "Encyclopedia Brittanica" of firearms that I know of. (I can just imagine the scale of trying to do that). I do have one book that has helped me at times, I don't know if it's in print and I'm not at home to be able to give you the author. The title is "The Firearms Dictionary" and it is what the title says. Pick a firearms word and look it up, it will give you the definition. If you want to know about cartridges get Cartridges of the World and Military Cartridges of the World both are filled with old and new cartridges and how they came about. Want exploded views of firearms, get the Gun Digest 5 volume set. So on and so forth.

Actualy that's the fun of shooting, you find a discipline that you are interested in and you start studying and collecting books on the subject. Then maybe you want to do something else and you start all over and learn more and maybe run into new info about what you were interested in prior. And over and over and over.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Luzerne County)

Yes folks, I know this place is awesome for info...

But as I said, curling up in bed with a good laptop doesn't have the allure. Also, if I'm on the road and can't get an internet connection, or I'm on a plane, or in the jungles of Borneo, or one of a zillion examples where electricity and internet connections fall short in supply.

Thanks for the replies. I see a single book is probably not viable...but appreciate the suggestions so far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast