Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Anyone ever taken a course from F.I.R.E.?

Has anyone ever taken course from F.I.R.E?
    http://www.fireinstitute.org/

I am looking into one and do not want to drive three hours one way, stay overnight and then back if it is not worth it. Thanks.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Anyone ever taken a coure from F.I.R.E.?

Quote Originally Posted by FHL85 View Post

I am looking into one and do not want to drive three hours one way, stay overnight and then back if it is not worth it. Thanks.
    If you want a really good course that ~3 hours away give this a try:

September 4-5, 2008 - Extreme Close Range Gunfighting - Wellsboro, PA
    http://www.suarezinternationalstore....ROD&ProdID=384

OR

September 6-7, 2008 - Advanced Close Range Gunfighting - Wellsboro, PA
    http://www.suarezinternationalstore....ROD&ProdID=397

Or better yet - BOTH

The best money EVER spent. I wish I was free this year to take it again

...I am saying nothing negative about FIRE - I don't know anything about them

But Gabe is a great man and a great instructor - join his forum as well and read about the classes and even call him directly:

http://warriortalk.com

hope I was helpful

-dino

(Philadelphia County)

Just an FYI Tony Ferrazzoli one of the board members of F.I.R.E. is on this board under the name TonyF, he's been a member for a long time.

I'm sure he can answer any questions you might have about FI.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

FIRE is top notch, won't find anything better.

(Allegheny County)

I have never taken a class with them but several of their instructors have come out for the group shoots at PMSC and even taking time to teach a mini-class at the shoot. If their full length courses are ANYTHING like the little 20 minute class that we got at the one group shoot I am sure you will learn alot. All of the guys from FIRE have forgotten more than I will ever know about firearms.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by FHL85 View Post

I have taken numerous Fire courses since 2000.

What is your current level of training? May I ask what would make a class worth taking or issues that would make it less than adequate?

What are your specific goals and what do you expect to learn in any training class?

The instructors bios are on the website.

PM me if you like for any specific questions. If I cannot answer them, I'll hook you up with someone who can.

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(York County)

I took the Utah Concealed Firearm Permit course from them. They are a good bunch of guys. Pete Georgiades gives you good legal insight and is an interesting speaker.

On the negative side, and as a long time instructor myself, I will say that ANOTHER instructor, Not Pete, read the book to us. That, to me, is a very painful form of adult education...I can read myself. I am hoping that form of delivery was because he was new to instructing and by now he has a more polished delivery.

Still, I think you would enjoy whichever course you attend.
    Archie Gates: No unnecessary shots, Conrad, 'cause we know what they do.
    Conrad Vig: Make infected pockets full of bile, sir.
    Archie Gates: That's right, Conrad, that's what they do.

(Centre County)

I took the One Day Handgun Clinic last year and A. Had a blast but more importantly B. Learned a LOT! I am looking forward to taking the 3 day handgun class this year when I am able to get enough time off to take it.
    Is it worth it to drive 3 hours for the F.I.R.E. classes. Yep! I drove from State College down to PMSC for the last and then drove 3 hours back home that day. Worth every min of it.

Cheers,
    josh
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by padowser View Post
    On the negative side, and as a long time instructor myself, I will say that ANOTHER instructor, Not Pete, read the book to us. That, to me, is a very painful form of adult education...I can read myself. I am hoping that form of delivery was because he was new to instructing and by now he has a more polished delivery.
    if you are talking about the utah class, i think that's because the point of the class is to fulfill the statutory requirements needed to get the utah permit.

the best way to make sure those are fulfilled is to "read the book".

i don't think it is the kind of class you should really expect to actually learn anything from unless you've never learned even the basics of safe firearms handling. just get through it...get the stamp...send it to utah for your permit.

i've seen that instructor give some informal instruction at the PAFOA group shoots where the goal was to actually teach something about shooting rather than fulfill statutory requirements, and he was excellent.

just my take on it. (i took the utah class as well.)

i've also attended a seminar pete gave in unarmed self-defense that was quite good.

i'm taking their tactical pistol class this weekend...looking forward to it.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by padowser View Post
    I took the Utah Concealed Firearm Permit course from them. They are a good bunch of guys. Pete Georgiades gives you good legal insight and is an interesting speaker.

Still, I think you would enjoy whichever course you attend.
    That would have been me.

Utah requires a minimum training guideline comprised of basic safety in section 1 and then a review of a number of Utah statutes in section 2.

I have no option but to "read from the book". In fact, I am obligated under Utah law to meet their minimum training guidelines so I decided to use their curriculum. I can add to it but I can't subtract anything from it.

I do try to comment, include my opinions an d answer questions during the safety lecture in section 1 but as regards the review of Utah statutes I have absolutely no flexibility.

Yes it's painful. Yes it's boring. It's painful and boring for me too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast