Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Pistols for woman with small-ish hands

My boyfriend has been trying to get me into guns for a while and to get him to shut up, I'm going to see if I enjoy shooting. He's encouraging me to come to the group shoot at PMSC next month but he only has one pistol. It's a PT92 and the grip is pretty big. My hands are only slightly smaller than his so he suggests a polymer framed handgun. I also like revolvers. He's shown a lot of stuff but I don't remember any of it. Suggestions?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Pistols for woman with small-ish hands

Welcome to the forum! The "mob" will be along shortly with lots of great advice.

Participating in the group shoot should give you an opportunity to try others' pistols. Also, consider an indoor public range where it's usually possible to try (rent) pistols.

(Tioga County)

Welcome to PAFOA.

Get to a gun shop and handle as many models as you can to see what fits YOU best.

Something along the lines of a Ruger SR22 pistol in 22LR would be the first I'd try on for size. The grip can be changed for hand size and it would be a good training firearm.
    MikeP

(Allegheny County)

Take a look at the Kahr cm9. Its very small and reliable. Since you like revolvers, the trigger on this coupled with the small frame may be just what your looking for.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

(Dauphin County)

I've never been to the group shoots, as I live on the other end of the state, but from what I have read, the people who go there are extremely friendly, and willing to let others shoot there firearms. You should do that, as you would also probably get great information and advice on shooting and using firearms for fun, or self-defense.

Welcome to the forum, too!
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Allegheny County)

Looking to buy? Why not start out with a .22 lr. Something like the Smith & Wesson M&P 22. It's what I started my daughter out with, low recoil but modeled like the other M&P pistols. She has smaller hands and it fits her well. It allowed her to get used to a pistol before she moved into a larger caliber.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qNMo4u1nRI

If you plan on a group shoot... wait and dont buy yet, go try other members pistols and revolvers, a simple smile and a thank you will open a lot of gun boxes for you. You should also listen to experienced members on the proper grip of the pistol/rev Ladies with smaller hands tent to thumb the grip too far to reach the trigger and end up hurting themselves. The web of the hand should be square to the back of the weapon and the thumb comfortably to the side.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Bucks County)

There are many smaller frame handguns that will fit you better but as a starting shooter you have to take recoil into consideration. Smaller frame handguns kick more and that can be intimidating. They are also less accurate and harder to aim with the smaller sight radius.

My girlfriend has tried a number of my handguns and her favorite is a 4 inch S&W model 15 (like the model 10 with adjustable sights) in .38 special. K-frame revolvers tend to have smaller grips and they are very accurate. They are also simpler than an autoloader. You don't have to worry about mags, safeties, slide releases......ect.

Load, cock the hammer and shoot in single action. Just concentrate on your shooting.

When she started I loaded up some very light loads until she became more comfortable with the recoil. I tried to bump them up in power but she still prefers (and flinches less) with the light loads.

Its all about being comfortable and to not be intimidated by what your shooting.

Hokkmike Guest

My wife bought a LCR .22 (Ruger) for her first hand gun.

You might also want to consider a Ruger SP101 (another revolver) in .22 or .38 Special.

If you go in to a big store like Gander Mt. they will let you pick up and handle as many handguns as you like. Starting with one that feels comfortable in you hands is the first step. Ease of operation (for you) and being able to understand how the gun works is the second. Thirdly you need to decide how much recoil you will accept in choosing a caliber. You can do this only by shooting.

As a second best determiner you can watch comparative videos of guns being shot on youtube.

I guess the last, and perhaps most salient piece of advice I can give you, is listen to your boyfriend and what he has to say, but decided for yourself which gun you want to buy.

My wife didn't buy my first choice for her but she got one SHE liked. (And it is not a bad selection at all)

(Tioga County)

An article worth reading:

Guns for Girls
    MikeP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast