Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Ed Brown Special Forces

Happy day yesterday, I finally got my brand spanking new Ed Brown Special Forces 5" S.S., night sights.

This is my third Ed Brown, I have a Kobra & Kobra carry. The SF is almost identical to my Kobra but I really like the aesthetics on this. I'm not going into the performance side because frankly these guns are more accurate than me. I'm going to put the extended magwell and custom grips on today. I don't know when I'll be able to shoot it, I have a backlog of guns I haven't shot yet but as soon as I do I'll post a review.

Finish is perfect
    fitting is perfect
    trigger is right at 4.5lbs
    It feels just like my kobra in hand
    The only negative is the grips. I hate these grips but I usually have custom grips made anyways so its not that big of a deal

I plan on doing a comprehensive review of high end custom 1911s, I'm just waiting on one last gun. Right now I have 3 Ed Browns, 2 nighthawks and am awaiting on my Wilson Combat CQB order. Once I get that in I can compare the "big three" side by side.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by mike12_nguyen; March 15th, 2014 at 10:42 AM.

(Erie County)

Default Re: Ed Brown Special Forces

Quote Originally Posted by mike12_nguyen View Post

I'm going to put the extended magwell and custom grips on today.

Why didn't you have them put on the magwell?

I don't know when I'll be able to shoot it, I have a backlog of guns I haven't shot yet but as soon as I do I'll post a review.
    I have some extra ammo, and would be glad to shoot it and post a range report!

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    Why didn't you have them put on the magwell?

I have some extra ammo, and would be glad to shoot it and post a range report!

The first time I ordered from Ed Brown it took 12 months to get my kobra because it was a custom order... I figured it would be faster to just add the magwell myself, it takes 2 mins if that. Also the magwell is the ss chainlink from ed brown so there is no difference. I just didn't want wait time added.

Lol, I really need to shoot some of these instead of just looking at them. Still haven't shot my nighthawk talon, I was going to wait for the wilson to arrive that way I'll only have to clean them once. I don't like cleaning...

Come down to pittsburgh I got some guns I need to dial in
    Last edited by mike12_nguyen; March 15th, 2014 at 11:09 AM.

(Perry County)

What about a Baer, you need to buy one of those. I think you should throw a Cabot into the mix as well. Give me a bit, I'll spend your money for you.

Looking forward to your comparison. I've had an older Wilson/Colt and have a Nighthawk. I've got the bug myself. I'd like to pick up a Volkmann, another Nighthawk in 10mm and probably a few more. I really don't care if I can shoot them any better than an $800 1911. They are amazing pieces of the gunmaker's craft. Same reason a Shiloh Sharps and a Turbull restored Winchester are on my list.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    What about a Baer, you need to buy one of those. I think you should throw a Cabot into the mix as well. Give me a bit, I'll spend your money for you.

Looking forward to your comparison. I've had an older Wilson/Colt and have a Nighthawk. I've got the bug myself. I'd like to pick up a Volkmann, another Nighthawk in 10mm and probably a few more. I really don't care if I can shoot them any better than an $800 1911. They are amazing pieces of the gunmaker's craft. Same reason a Shiloh Sharps and a Turbull restored Winchester are on my list.
    I'm in the same exact mindset, people give me crap about being a collector but I enjoy the guns for the craftsmanship.

To be honest I'm not into the les Baer's, I've heard great things but I don't like his finishes and design. I think they are quality guns just not my style.

The Cabot is definitely on my list. I called them about a national standard in s.s, it was around $7k. I want to get it but for the price I can get 2 of either browns, wc or nighthawks. I think I might setup a trip to go there and check them out in person first. I've never seen one and don't know anyone that has one. Do you have any experience with them?

(Delaware County)

Mike,,,, you have excellent taste in 1911's. As long as we're spending your money,,,,,,, you should be considering a SA Professional. Oh yea,,,,, and a Leatham Legend also.

I already spent my money and got both of them. Your gonna love them.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Perry County)

I'm in the same exact mindset, people give me crap about being a collector but I enjoy the guns for the craftsmanship.

To be honest I'm not into the les Baer's, I've heard great things but I don't like his finishes and design. I think they are quality guns just not my style.

The Cabot is definitely on my list. I called them about a national standard in s.s, it was around $7k. I want to get it but for the price I can get 2 of either browns, wc or nighthawks. I think I might setup a trip to go there and check them out in person first. I've never seen one and don't know anyone that has one. Do you have any experience with them?
    I saw one at the previous outdoor show. It was in a case but the fit and finish that I could see was amazing. That being said, I'm sure they brought their best to the show. I'd like to see a customer purchased one to see if they are as good.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by thundrr1 View Post
    Mike,,,, you have excellent taste in 1911's. As long as we're spending your money,,,,,,, you should be considering a SA Professional. Oh yea,,,,, and a Leatham Legend also.

I already spent my money and got both of them. Your gonna love them.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I really want to add a Springfield to the collection. I was thinking about the TRP but I'll check out both of those you recommended.

(Allegheny County)

I just got really lucky and will be receiving a brand spanking new custom Wilson Combat CQB in all stainless steel tomorrow. I put a deposit down on my custom order with Wilson but they told me its a 1.5-2 year wait (same as Nighthawk, though my Nighthawk order came after a year). I came across a store in Texas that had a brand new one with fluted chamber, flush barrel & reverse barrel crown.I paid for it an $100 extra for overnight delivery, should be here by tomorrow!!!! I'm still going to keep my Wilson order and probably get a Supergrade but I just couldn't wait. I'll post some pictures of me in my boxers holding the CQB tomorrow . I will finally have all three of the grail 1911s.

(Mercer County)

You have fantastic taste in 1911s. Now, get them coated in something, and they'll hold up forever!
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast