Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: CDL and PennDOT

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    (Westmoreland County)
    Rep Power

    Default CDL and PennDOT


    I know that this website is mostly - if not all - geared towards firearms, but I thought that this would be a better place to turn to for the question(s) that I have.

    I have a small construction company where we provide services for excavation, concrete, hardscaping, etc... I heard there were new laws in effect from PennDOT (or maybe even on a federal level) for labeling/decaling your vehicles that you need to register with PennDOT and if you are over a certain combined weight or are towing 10,000 pounds or over, you need a CDL. Is this true? Could someone clarify this for me a bit, because every phone call I have made, no one was of any help - from a federal level to state level. No help.

    Thank you to anyone in advance.


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Somerset, Pennsylvania
    (Somerset County)
    Rep Power

    Default Re: CDL and PennDOT

    Link to PennDOT fact sheet about CDL:

    and the PennDOT CDL site in general:


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    berks, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)
    Rep Power

    Default Re: CDL and PennDOT

    A cdl is needed when driving a truck with a gross weight of 26,000 lbs or towing a trailer in excess of 10,000 lbs.

    As far as using your vehicle for business purposes (for hire-you get paid for what the vehicle is hauling) A DOT # is needed.

    A friend of mine has a mobile service truck that he works out of on a daily basis. He recently got inspected by DOT and was put out of service for not having a DOT number displayed on the truck.The DOT inspector got his creeper out and crawled all over the truck and found 1 brake 1/8th inch out of adjustment and along with the missing DOT # the truck was red flagged. When my friend asked if he was allowed to drive the truck home the inspector said this truck is not legal to run on this highway. My friend specifically asked if he needed to have the truck towed and the inspector said "I don't care what you do, but that truck is not legal on that highway"

    Since this happened I specifically asked a DOT inspector what or who all needs a DOT number, and he told me if you have a snow plow on your truck and plow for someone and get paid or at all compensated its considered commercial and would require a DOT number.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    nretsaehtuos, Pennsylvania
    (Delaware County)
    Rep Power

    Default Re: CDL and PennDOT

    Quote Originally Posted by tripleS View Post
    A cdl is needed when driving a truck with a gross weight of 26,000 lbs or towing a trailer in excess of 10,000 lbs.

    There is a little more to it than that:

    Pursuant to Federal standards, States issue CDLs and CLPs to drivers according to the following license classifications:

    Class A: Any combination of vehicles which has a gross combination weight rating or gross combination weight of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) whichever is greater, inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds) whichever is greater.

    Class B: Any single vehicle which has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of 11,794 or more kilograms (26,001 pounds or more), or any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight that does not exceed 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds).

    Class C: Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is transporting material that has been designated as hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and is required to be placarded under subpart F of 49 CFR Part 172 or is transporting any quantity of a material listed as a select agent or toxin in 42 CFR Part 73.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Bug Tussle, Pennsylvania
    (Westmoreland County)
    Rep Power

    Default Re: CDL and PennDOT

    Call Keystone Diesel The Truck Driving School @ 1-888-405-0046 and ask them. I know they specialize in CDL class A license.

Similar Threads

  1. Carrying @ penndot
    By VinDyl in forum Concealed & Open Carry
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: October 10th, 2012, 02:25 PM
  2. PennDOT in KoP
    By Chvyrs90 in forum Concealed & Open Carry
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: May 6th, 2011, 08:01 PM


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts