Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default GDSI makes bid for Remington Outdoor Company

This is some seriously scary shit. Check out this company...

Global Digital Solutions Inc.

They are talking about "consolidating the firearms industry". The company filed a letter of intent to buy Remington Outdoor Company (Freedom Group) for $1 billion.

Here is one of their technologies...
    Gatekeeper Safety and Security
    Announcing Gatekeeper, A Revolutionary Suite of Technology-Enhanced Services That Offer Digital, Web-Based, Small Arms Safety and Security Solutions for Commercial and Military-Related Markets

Gatekeeper’s encrypted digital locking device, secure online tracking feature and cloud-enabled databases will address growing needs of customers in a multibillion-dollar, global marketplace

Gatekeeper combines advanced Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology with web-based wireless capabilities, will provide commercial and military customers with three essential safety and security benefits:

Encrypted, password-protected, digital, trigger-locking capability
    Secure, real-time online tracking
    Encrypted, cloud-enabled databases

(York County)

Default Re: GDSI makes bid for Remington Outdoor Company

Am I reading that right? They're offering to buy Remington for less money then Remington's net earnings in one year?

That's quite a low-ball I believe, and sounds like more of an insult or a waste of time than anything else.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

These guys are no good.
    I don't know if Remington will sell out to them or not, but GDSI's stated purpose is to "consolidate the gun industry" That means "monopolize"

They love their "Gatekeeper" technology. The direct quote in the OP is worth repeating
    "GDSI Gatekeeper, which combines advanced Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology with web-based wireless capabilities, will provide commercial and military customers with three essential safety and security benefits:

• Encrypted, password-protected, digital, trigger-locking capability
    • Secure, real-time online tracking
    • Encrypted, cloud-enabled databases"

Sounds to me like they want guns to be password locked, tracked online, and accessible online. I can't think of a good reason why a civilian would want these "features" but I can think of a gazillion reasons why someone like President Obama would, and all of them are bad.
    Sic semper tyrannis

(Wayne County)

And how long before our very intelligent hackers figure a way around this BS?

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Am I reading that right? They're offering to buy Remington for less money then Remington's net earnings in one year?

That's quite a low-ball I believe, and sounds like more of an insult or a waste of time than anything else.
    http://www.freedom-group.com/FreedomGroup2012_10-K.pdf

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong financial statements, but Freedom Group's 2012 Net Income was $7 million (On total revenue of ~$930 million). A $1 Billion offer would be a P/E ratio of 135. (For reference, GE has a P/E of 15 and Apple has a P/e of 13.)

Also, Freedom Group has negative shareholder equity, so it doesn't actually have a book value price. A billion dollar purchase would result in hundreds of millions of dollars of Good Will given the negative equity position.

Seems like a high-ball offer, honestly.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by WereWolf View Post
    http://www.freedom-group.com/FreedomGroup2012_10-K.pdf

Seems like a high-ball offer, honestly.
    Seems like a "deal with the Devil" if you ask me.

(Montgomery County)

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...blicity-stunt/

Sorry I can't copy and paste the article text but basically Remington is saying itis a publici stunt from GDSI with no merit

(Chester County)

Being involved in mergers, and acquisitions for most of my career, I can tell you that the more a company denies, the more it is likely to happen. I have seen it over, and over again. Not saying it will happen for sure, but denials mean nothing in the M&A world.

This company talking about putting computer chips and web-accessible devices into their guns has me thinking about something I have often wondered about.

How hard would it be for the NSA to make an undercover deal with a bunch of gun manufacturers to secretly implant tracking devices into the stocks of all the guns they produce?

It may be difficult with a handgun, but in a long gun they could probably hide all kinds of things in the stock that nobody would ever find unless they started cutting the stock into pieces.

It would not surprise me at all if they are actively doing it with some manufacturer already, and have approached several others. Frankly, in the world in which we live, I assume big brother is watching virtually everything. Maybe I am paranoid, but that is how I see things.
    Sic semper tyrannis

Quote Originally Posted by hog45 View Post
    This company talking about putting computer chips and web-accessible devices into their guns has me thinking about something I have often wondered about.

How hard would it be for the NSA to make an undercover deal with a bunch of gun manufacturers to secretly implant tracking devices into the stocks of all the guns they produce?

It may be difficult with a handgun, but in a long gun they could probably hide all kinds of things in the stock that nobody would ever find unless they started cutting the stock into pieces.

It would not surprise me at all if they are actively doing it with some manufacturer already, and have approached several others. Frankly, in the world in which we live, I assume big brother is watching virtually everything. Maybe I am paranoid, but that is how I see things.
    Microwave your pistols. That is exactly what i would do if i bought a new one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast