Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default When to inform friend/driver you're carrying concealed?

Hey guys,
    Last week my friend came over and we decided to go out to meet a few other friends at a restaurant/bar.. My buddy offered to drive us, so I just rolled with him.

I had a smith wesson shield in a super tuck holster, I don't usually announce I'm carrying.
    Anyway, after a good time hanging with some old friends, my buddy and I hopped in his car and headed back to my place..

On the way home it came up in conversation, I had a concealed pistol on me.. He was like -- Damn man like right now!?! You gotta tell me this!!! You got to tell me when your packing heat.

Now when he said it, he was 50/50 mix of serious and joking tone..
    But that got me thinking, would it be proper to inform the person who's car I'm entering for a ride, that I have a concealed firearm on me?
    3O,OOO,OOO legal firearm owners killed no one yesterday.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: When to inform friend/driver you're carrying concealed?

My opinion? No one's business but my own.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I wouldn't, but my friends would assume I was carrying anyway.

(Indiana County)

Unless your "buddy" plans on including you in some illegal activity, it's nobody's business but your own, if you so choose.

(Berks County)

I guess if the friend is going to practice and train with you to work as a team then they would know. If they are not then never.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Unless your "buddy" plans on including you in some illegal activity, it's nobody's business but your own, if you so choose.
    Ha, nothing illegal - we've been close friends since kindergarten, he knows I carry, guess he just figured I wasn't that night because It was under a t-shirt and he was caught off guard when I told him.
    3O,OOO,OOO legal firearm owners killed no one yesterday.

(Montgomery County)

I tell very few people that I carry. Why do they need to know?
    Last edited by Don Quixote; March 12th, 2014 at 07:18 AM.

(Chester County)

I will let someone know before I go into their home, but a car is just not the same to me. I am not going to bother to tell them and I am more than happy to drive myself if that is not ok with them.

(York County)

I have been in the presence of those who like, have, own guns, those who carry guns and know what the hell they are talking about. Once you know the truth of personal protection and what it truly entails, you can never go home. Your friend doesn't know the truth.

Had you the knowledge that training, experience, and circumstance provide, you would already know the answer. But fear not! We are here to help. My carry is my business unless I'm in a state that requires me to divulge. If it comes up in conversation and isn't a direct question to you, just nod or change the subject. If it is a direct question, LIE the best you can. They have no authority to demand, and you have no requirement to reply.

Ask your friend if he can nail down the moment when he'll be attacked and what it will look like. It'll likely be never, but if it isn't, is he prepared in ANY way? I'll bet not. You are. Don't ever be ashamed of that.

You have taken responsibility for your safety. It's not a thing you carry, but a lifestyle change, a mindset change. If your friend doesn't get that, you need to bring him up to speed, or get a better class of friend. I don't hang with sheep any more than I have to. IMO, there are few more hideous ways to die than at the hand of a deranged freak. All your plans, ambitions, talents, education, contributions, family, gone because someone wanted your wallet. Or they needed that cash drawer at the Sheetz for a fix. Or they thought you'd be easy prey for some kicks. Doesn't matter the reason. The duty is to be always prepared, ever vigilant. It betters society. It's your duty as a citizen. Don't take it lightly, don't take any crap. Set your buddy straight, or set him aside. That's my take.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by shottiepippen View Post
    Hey guys,
    Last week my friend came over and we decided to go out to meet a few other friends at a restaurant/bar.. My buddy offered to drive us, so I just rolled with him.

I had a smith wesson shield in a super tuck holster, I don't usually announce I'm carrying.
    Anyway, after a good time hanging with some old friends, my buddy and I hopped in his car and headed back to my place..

On the way home it came up in conversation, I had a concealed pistol on me.. He was like -- Damn man like right now!?! You gotta tell me this!!! You got to tell me when your packing heat.

Now when he said it, he was 50/50 mix of serious and joking tone..
    But that got me thinking, would it be proper to inform the person who's car I'm entering for a ride, that I have a concealed firearm on me?
    My feeling, now that you know he wants to know, when in his vehicle or home, it's appropriate you tell him.
    I don't personally tell anyone unless they ask, if they don't ask, I assume they don't care.
    I've never had anyone ask and most people I'm around regularly don't know I carry and as far as I know, they don't carry but it's not my business whether they do or not.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast