Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Address on LTCF old

Had my ltcf for about 4 years now. Just got my drivers license renewed and realized my LTCF has my old address (never look at it anymore lol). I think I remember something about having 30 days to notify the sheriffs office of an address change. I searched here and could not find anything. Its up for re newal in a year. Should I just wait until then or should I update now? Any legal requirements to do so? I thought about calling and asking but I've found police to not be the best source of info for anything related to guns. Any help with referances to the law would be greatly aprichiated. Thanks.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Address on LTCF old

Quote Originally Posted by ckellyme3 View Post
    Had my ltcf for about 4 years now. Just got my drivers license renewed and realized my LTCF has my old address (never look at it anymore lol). I think I remember something about having 30 days to notify the sheriffs office of an address change. I searched here and could not find anything. Its up for re newal in a year. Should I just wait until then or should I update now? Any legal requirements to do so? I thought about calling and asking but I've found police to not be the best source of info for anything related to guns. Any help with referances to the law would be greatly aprichiated. Thanks.
    There is no legal requirement to notify the sheriff. It is advisable to do so because in the event that your LTCF is revoked the only notification the sheriff is required to perform is sending you a certified letter. If she doesn't know where you live she can't get that letter to you, but you're still on the hook for carrying without a license even if you don't get the letter.

Also, the sheriff is supposed to send you a renewal application shortly before your old LTCF expires. Some don't, or skimp and just send a notice instead of sending the application, but assuming your sheriff sends at least something she'll need your address to know where to send it.

The info about renewal and revocation is found in 18 Pa.C.S. § 6109: Licenses. You won't find anything there about change of address since to the best of my knowledge there's nothing at all in the statutes about that situation.
    Last edited by twency; March 11th, 2014 at 11:12 PM.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Indiana County)

Your LTCF is good until it expires.

Unlike a driver's license, no requirement exists to reflect a change of address on your LTCF. And, since no requirement exists, there are no procedures with which to effect such a change.

It's not a big deal.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    It's not a big deal.
    Except, unfurtunately, to the JBT who's comparing them - with his foot to your neck - while asking why it's different from your driver's license.

(Chester County)

Yeah I'm worried about that too lol. Thanks for the info guys.

(Allegheny County)

I recently updated my address and all it took was a call to the Sheriff's office. They were able to pull up my current address from my DL# and apply it to my LTCF. Entire process took less than 5 minutes on the phone.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by maust05 View Post
    I recently updated my address and all it took was a call to the Sheriff's office. They were able to pull up my current address from my DL# and apply it to my LTCF. Entire process took less than 5 minutes on the phone.
    Did they send you a new one in the mail with your current address?

(Allegheny County)

They said there was no need to issue a new card. If my LTCF were to be checked by a LEO to see if it was valid my current address would come back. This was the same process they did when I had an address update a couple years ago too except the first address update I did in person and they still said there was no need to re-issue.

(Monroe County)

A couple years into my LTCF the county decided to change my address. Went in to do an address update and guess what. The updated license is good for an additional 5 yrs. from the date of change. All it cost was $3.00.

Might be worth the address change.
    “When a man cannot chose, he ceases to be a man.”

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Arrdy View Post
    A couple years into my LTCF the county decided to change my address. Went in to do an address update and guess what. The updated license is good for an additional 5 yrs. from the date of change. All it cost was $3.00.

Might be worth the address change.
    Someone here (I don't recall who) has reported that the way the current LTCF computer system is configured the only way to issue a new license with an updated address is to "revoke" the old license. There's no statutory reason for such revocation, but apparently that's how the computers are configured.

So requesting an updated license with a new address may well result in a nominal revocation of your old license. That means that whenever you apply for a LTCF in the future you will have to advise that you've had a license revoked in the past, and perhaps go through some rigamarole explaining why. Not worth it to me.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast