Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516
    (Juniata County)

Default Re: Groundhog Hunting

FITZ, the .223 is good for 400 yds if the ammo/gun/shooter combo is up to it. I've taken many beyond 300 and the longest confirmed distance being a 415 yd (laserd trailer tag from groundhog hole) bang-flop. I'll be working on a 7mm-08 project for "out there" shots, but for now my WMR and .223 can take any groundhog I'm willing to shoot at. I also need a better range finder. Mine needs a reflective or hard surface beyond 350. I'm going to head out tomorrow to see what I can sneak up on.
    Most of being smart is knowing what you are dumb at.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Groundhog Hunting

I hunt groundhogs at least twice a week,I am almost alway successful,late afternoon and up to the evening. If you having trouble finding land the best way is to make a few little pieces of paper with your name address and phone number on it to hand out to owners. Just drive around and stop at farms and ask for permission.Be specific that you are interested in hunting groundhogs otherwise they may think you want to hunt deer to. I rarely get turned down,but if they do turn you down ask them if they know any other farmers that might need groundhogs killed on their property. As for walking I don't do that because of wounds I got in Iraq. I find several holes or colonies,range them then set up and wait. I have more than 60 this year and have gotten 11 in one day at one location. I think its important to have at least 3 farms or property to hunt so you can rotate your hunting locations. Best wishes oh I shoot a Savage 93R17 with a BSA Sweet 17 BDC.Ive made shots out to 265 with the 17 grain Hornaday Ballistic tip.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516