Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Italian government up in arms over use of Michelangelo's 'David' in gun ad

I THINK ITS BETTER THEN LOOKING AT THE GUYS SLONG!!!

An Illinois-based gunmaker has incurred the wrath of the Italian government after using Michelangelo's famous sculpture of the Biblical hero David in an advertisement for one of its rifles.

The advertisement for Armalite's AR-501A shows David holding the gun in lieu of his famous slingshot. The ad's tagline reads "AR-501A: A Work of Art". The ad also alters the statue itself, covering up David's genitalia with a leaf. The real statue makes no such concession to modesty.

Italian Culture Minister Dario Franceschini urged the company to withdraw the advertisement after images of it appeared on several Italian media websites over the weekend. Franceschini tweeted "The image of David, armed, offends and infringes the law. We will take action against the American company so that it immediately withdraws its campaign."

The Italian government claims that it has the copyright to all commercial uses of the marble masterpiece, which was created between 1501 and 1504 and resides in the Accademia Gallery in Florence. The gallery's director, Angelo Tartuferi, told Repubblica newspaper "The law says that the aesthetic value of the work cannot be distorted. In this case, not only is the choice in bad taste but also completely illegal."

Armalite has not made any public comment on the controversy.
    People always ask me why i never smile.
    I TELL THEM IT'S BECAUSE MY CORPSE IS STILL BREATHING AND THEY DON'T FUCKING GET IT!

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Italian government up in arms over use of Michelangelo's 'David' in gun ad

Quote Originally Posted by IIIIIREPOIIIII View Post
    The Italian government claims that it has the copyright to all commercial uses of the marble masterpiece, which was created between 1501 and 1504 and resides in the Accademia Gallery in Florence. The gallery's director, Angelo Tartuferi, told Repubblica newspaper "The law says that the aesthetic value of the work cannot be distorted. In this case, not only is the choice in bad taste but also completely illegal."
    Yes. A public government owns the rights to a statue made 500 years ago. That makes sense.

What are they going to do? Fly over to the US and start breaking people's kneecaps?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Italian government up in arms over use of Michelangelo's 'David' in gun ad

No, that would be Sicilians.

"The image of David, armed, offends and infringes the law. We will take action against the American company so that it immediately withdraws its campaign."

If he is holding a slingshot is he not already armed?

(Lancaster County)

I wonder how pissed off we could make them?

How about this one, where he's handing him a 1911?

Or the Venus de Milo with an rifle slung?

At least with Venus de Milo there wouldn't be any reason for them to be up in arms.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

a classic...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by gummy jones View Post
    a classic...
    I TELL THEM IT'S BECAUSE MY CORPSE IS STILL BREATHING AND THEY DON'T FUCKING GET IT!

"The law says that the aesthetic value of the work cannot be distorted. In this case, not only is the choice in bad taste but also completely illegal."

I'm pretty sure the law is talking about distorting the actual art work.

Photoshopping is not illegal.
    "The first time any mans freedom is trodden on we're all damaged."JeanLucPicard

(York County)

We (Italian Government) own the image?

Sure, but you'd better check US Copyright Law first. Unless I am completely wrong, the image is completely in the public domain under US law. The company using the image is in the US and is following US law. Italian law may say something different, but Armalite isn't breaking any of our laws. Go find a US court willing to hear the case!

Quote Originally Posted by libra8 View Post
    "The law says that the aesthetic value of the work cannot be distorted. In this case, not only is the choice in bad taste but also completely illegal."

I'm pretty sure the law is talking about distorting the actual art work.

Photoshopping is not illegal.
    Photoshop is illegal according to the white house! Remember we were warned NOT to photoshop this because it would be illegal