Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default G17 Gen4 - Weak ejection?

So I have G22 Gen4.
    It shoots good, accurate, and ejection is very positive(comes out consistent direction, and land about 5feet away from me.

Then I have G17 Gen4 that I just bought.
    Granted, I've only shot 100rouds(Federal 115gr FMJ), but enough to know that the ejection pattern is nowhere near as consistent, nor forceful as G22.

It sort of goes anywhere from 3 oclock to 6oclock, some land about foot away from me, some lands about 5 feet away, and some hits my forehead with enough force that it hurts.

Is that normal?
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: G17 Gen4 - Weak ejection?

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    So I have G22 Gen4.
    It shoots good, accurate, and ejection is very positive(comes out consistent direction, and land about 5feet away from me.

Then I have G17 Gen4 that I just bought.
    Granted, I've only shot 100rouds(Federal 115gr FMJ), but enough to know that the ejection pattern is nowhere near as consistent, nor forceful as G22.

It sort of goes anywhere from 3 oclock to 6oclock, some land about foot away from me, some lands about 5 feet away, and some hits my forehead with enough force that it hurts.

Is that normal?
    It's normal for a .40 cal Glock to have stronger ejection than a 9mm, every 40 cal Glock I ever owned threw the cases much further than the 9mm.

My Gen 2 G17's have very consistent ejection at about 3-4 oclock, usually all in a nice little pile, never not one time has brass even came close to me. My gen 3's are more erratic with ejection all over the place and sometimes even landing at about 1 oclock, but brass never hits me.

My Gen 4 is not as bad as the Gen 3's with a little more consistent 3-4 oclock with occasional brass landing at around 1 oclock, but not like the Gen 2's, and brass has never hit me.

All in all I have found that Gen 2 9mm's have much stronger and more consistent ejection compared to the newer ones. This IMO has been due to the fact that the extractor design was changed with the LCI extractor. Some early Gen 3's have non LCI extractors and have better ejection because of it.

Overall I found out that the reliability hasn't changed, mine have all been perfect with the exception of a few bad rounds and a couple worn out mag springs. FWIW I owned at least one or more G17's over the past 20+ years.

The gen4 glocks have double recoil springs to help reduce it. With weak federal fmj ammo there isn't enough power to give a strong ejection. Try something a bit stronger or some HP ammo to see if there is a change. Also give it a few more rounds and see if the springs loosen up

(Montgomery County)

It's not even the fact that you were using 115gr FMJ. It's because you were using Federal 115gr. Was it the Champion red box? That stuff is the weakest available. Any other FMJ loads should work better.

(Centre County)

Search for the dreaded Gen4 "brass to the face issue" on the interwebs. There is a extractor fix for it....
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by FLICK View Post
    Search for the dreaded Gen4 "brass to the face issue" on the interwebs. There is a extractor fix for it....
    Yeah I see that.
    http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=2562
    http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=125
    I guess I'll put Apex extractor in order ASAP...

To all that suggested that Red Box federal being weak, I went out this morning with 100 rounds of Speer Gold dot LE 147gr that I was saving up for rainy days.
    Recoil pulse was certainly stronger, but empties still only landed about 2.5 feet away, and pattern was still all over.

Important thing is that all empties did come out...
    Last edited by Mity2; March 9th, 2014 at 01:11 PM.

The red box is American eagle which is pretty good stuff. The crappy weak stuff is federal champion in a burgundy box typically from Walmart.

Since it still isn't ejecting strong give it a few hundred rounds to loosen up yet then re-evaluate it.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    The red box is American eagle which is pretty good stuff. The crappy weak stuff is federal champion in a burgundy box typically from Walmart.

Since it still isn't ejecting strong give it a few hundred rounds to loosen up yet then re-evaluate it.
    Original ammo I shot was Federal Champion, and while they are better than Tulammo, they are definitely on weak side.
    I shot mixed batch of Remington UMC, Speer Gold dot LE 147gr, and Winchester something.

While Speer certainly shot out the empty more positively, it still only went like 2 feet

I think Im gonna go ahead and order the Apex tactical extractor. Seems like cheap enough insurance...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    Original ammo I shot was Federal Champion, and while they are better than Tulammo, they are definitely on weak side.
    I shot mixed batch of Remington UMC, Speer Gold dot LE 147gr, and Winchester something.

While Speer certainly shot out the empty more positively, it still only went like 2 feet

I think Im gonna go ahead and order the Apex tactical extractor. Seems like cheap enough insurance...
    Did you buy this brand new and what year was it manufactured? Asking because they did fix the issues the original gen 4's had.

Also check the ejector on the frame, if it's the one marked 336 it could be your issue.

ETA: The ejector # on the frame should be the 30274, just checked mine.
    Last edited by arjohnson; March 9th, 2014 at 06:21 PM.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    Did you buy this brand new and what year was it manufactured? Asking because they did fix the issues the original gen 4's had.

Also check the ejector on the frame, if it's the one marked 336 it could be your issue.

ETA: The ejector # on the frame should be the 30274, just checked mine.
    Bought new.
    Gun's fired case date is 06/27/13.
    Number on Ejector is 30274

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast