Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default "Not even for free" guns

Never thought that any gun would be so bad that it wasn't even worth the cost of the transfer but.... My dad had someone offer a Jimenez 25 cal for FREE. We took it to the range and realized.. WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP. It should be called a JAMenez. I told my Dad to give it back to his friend and tell him it was not even worth the cost of the transfer.

The other one is a Llama Especial my cousin loaned me. I HATE this gun. I wanted to like it... it is a scaled down 1911 in 9mm. It looks nice, and feels nice in the hand but I can't even rack the slide withoutmgetting "bit", and it shoots 6" low at 10 yards and has fixed sights.

Anobody else run across guns so bad they don't want it even for free?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: "Not even for free" guns

My Taurus 94 stainless 4" revolver.

I really like the idea of this gun - like a cheaper version of a SW kit gun. 9 shots, stainless steel (so I wouldn't worry about it rusting in bad weather in the woods), solid feel to it ... I plunked down my $325 and purchased it new. Sent it back to Taurus a week later because of cylinder timing issues - got it back a reasonable month later, and no timing issues, but hard as hell to hit tin cans at 10 paces - can't get a group smaller than my hand single action at 10 paces and some keyholes... - Now I just use it to dispatch animals in the trap. It works ok at point blank range.

Cb

(Cumberland County)

A tear came to my eye when you mentioned Llama as a gun you wouldn't take for free I love my Llama's - have a pretty good collection of them. All are reliable, accurate and "neat". Like any gun, I know there can be duds, and Llama has the reputation of being loved or hated. If you or your cousin want to get rid of it, I will be happy to take it off your hands

Jimenez - 100% agree - wouldn't take one for free. I was at the York gunshow a few weeks back and was looking at one dealers table and he said "how about a Jimenez" - I laughed and told him I know a bit about guns and wouldn't touch one. He insisted their quality has improved greatly and he has sold hundreds of them with zero issues - I laughed again
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post

Jimenez - 100% agree - wouldn't take one for free. I was at the York gunshow a few weeks back and was looking at one dealers table and he said "how about a Jimenez" - I laughed and told him I know a bit about guns and wouldn't touch one. He insisted their quality has improved greatly and he has sold hundreds of them with zero issues - I laughed again
    I would guess he had zero issues because the people that bought them shot 25 rounds, didn't care if it jammed, and stuck it in a drawer or under their pillow.

That being said I will add that the jennings design is solid, their problem lies entirely in how horribly they're built. If someone starting making a quality version you would have an awesome little plinker.

(Monroe County)

Yeah Jennings .22. F-I-L has one that he doesn't shoot anymore because the thing kept falling apart at the range.

(Montgomery County)

Anything Charter Arms. I had a J frame copy that was supposed to be a good one by year... yeah not so much. Sold it to the LGS to go toward my LCP. Much happier now.

I have one of those jennings 22s what a dangerous weapon. I keep saying i'm going to turn it in at the next gun buy back. If i can get 50 for it

(Allegheny County)

Hi-Points.

(I'm SO bad. LOL)
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Hi-Points.

(I'm SO bad. LOL)
    Uh-Oh.... not this again !! LOL.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    A tear came to my eye when you mentioned Llama as a gun you wouldn't take for free I love my Llama's - have a pretty good collection of them. All are reliable, accurate and "neat". Like any gun, I know there can be duds, and Llama has the reputation of being loved or hated. If you or your cousin want to get rid of it, I will be happy to take it off your hands
    I really wanted to like the Llama, if only for the fact that it was made in the same place as my Great-Grandparents. It is a nice looking gun, basically a scaled down 1911. It feels good in my hands, and seems to be well made (apart from the wierd, bent sheet metal trigger). The trigger breaks cleanly, action is smooth. It even shoots avcurately (albeit 4-6 inches low at 10 yds) It just does not seem to like me.

I only have it in my posession because it was not working (trigger was jammed) so I told my cousin I would take it apart and see what was going on. Basically it was just all gummed up. I gave it a good cleaning and lube and now it lives to "slide bite" another day.

I am not comparing the Llama to the Jimenez. The Jimenez is just a non-functioning piece of crap. Hi-points (love them or hate them) at least work. I would not turn my nose up at a free Hi-Point. I might even be willing to pay a small sum for one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast