Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig Mosquito

(Montgomery County)

Unhappy Sig Mosquito

Just got a new mosquito. Took it to the range today and shot 200 rounds of CCI mini mag with 2 FTF. Tried some Winchester super x and everyone FTF OR FTE. I stopped playing when a spent shell was stuck in the chamber.

I'm going to take it to my gunsmith and get the feed ramp machined and polished.
    Drew

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Sig Mosquito

I got my wife one last year and we experienced the same issues you were describing. Try swapping the spring with the other one that it comes with. With the other spring it consistently eats CCI Mini-mag's with no issues. Forget about bulk ammo it doesn't seem to like any.

a guy w/ his son at the range today said they really like theirs!! it had the camo print over the pistol.

(Chester County)

I love my Mosquito. All advice is spot on so far, although mine will handle bulk pack high-velocity ammo, in addition to CCI. However, if I'm shooting a lot of rounds during a range trip it helps to perform a quick field strip, (i.e., wipe down and reapply some light oil to the usual areas). Then I'm good to go again.

Hang in there Marlo drew...

(Allegheny County)

Seems typical of most 22's, you seem to have had little issue with the mini mags so why not just stick with those. You may also want to try some other ammo to find what else it likes before taking it to a gunsmith.

(Allegheny County)

I absolutely love the Mosquito I bought for my wife. So much so that I have no problems taking it to the range myself and getting strange looks for shooting a pink gun!

That said, we did experience some initial teething problems. But nothing you can't overcome with a little patience.

First and foremost - the little Mosquito greatly prefers to be run 'clean'. My Mk III can lay in the dirt for weeks, left in the desert sand for another week, and it'll still eat anything a feed it. Not the little Sig. Keep her clean though, and she'll be happy.

It also likes to be kept well lubed - and properly. The slide really responds well with the white grease Sig provides when new (I need to go buy some more). Apply it to the rails, and you can almost literally rack the slide with a flick of the wrist. The other place you MUST keep well lubed is the extractor. There is a little hole on the right side of the slide, just forward of the thumb safety, for oiling it. A drop or two every 50 to 100 rounds will cure 95% of your FTE issues. The last place to keep lubed is the feed ramp. Just smear some oil on your fingertip, or soak a Q-tip in some, and oil the ramp periodically. This will eliminate 50-75% of your FTF issues (spring and ammo choice will clear up most remaining issues)

The feed ramp is one of the main reasons people get FTF's with the Mosquito. First, it has a flat spot on the front edge, witch hangs up any flat-nosed ammo (stay away from it all together) and if not lubed will hang up most blunter-nosed ammo. In general, the feed ramp seemed to need some breaking in. Ours really started getting truly reliable somewhere around 300 rounds. If you don't have the patience, a light polish would probably do the trick.

Finally, spring and ammo choice are key with this gun. Sig recommends CCI MiniMags, and they do seem to run best. But I've had pretty good results with most high velocity .22. Just make sure you have the heavy spring in it (if you bought it new, Sig should have supplied two springs - one heavy, one light - new, the heavy one should have been already in the gun) Initially, it wouldn't run any bulk, low velocity ammo, even with the lighter spring. But this was before I discovered just how much the feed ramp and extractor like to be wet. Now, the pink wonder will run almost anything I feed her, as long as I run the heavy spring for high velocity, and the light one for low. Again, just don't feed her flat/blunt nosed lead - it'll hang up every time.

Once you get it running right, it's a great shooter. Very ergonomic, and pretty accurate. Feels and shoots like a p220. It's become my 2nd favorite range toy, behind my 1911.

Hang in there, keep it oiled well, and feed her right. Once she breaks in, you'll have a fun toy.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by jaseman View Post
    Hang in there, keep it oiled well, and feed her right. Once she breaks in, you'll have a fun toy.
    Awesome write-up! I was too lazy to type all that.

Also, perhaps unintentional... I thoroughly enjoyed all the innuendo and choice "adjectives" used throughout to describe how to "handle her".

p.s. If you show up at my gun club shooting a pink Sig I'll probably ask you to surrender your man card.
    Last edited by JAKIII; March 9th, 2014 at 02:34 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    p.s. If you show up at my gun club shooting a pink Sig I'll probably ask you to surrender your man card.
    LOL.... I take it with me every time I go. I get some flack here and there... Until I start shooting. People quiet down pretty quickly when their out shot by a a guy with a pink gun.

(Washington County)

The Mosquito is the only gun I've ever sold.

Loved the look, loved the features, hated the operation.

Actually I had FTE issues, but have seen that on a lot of 22's. My bigger gripe was accuracy just didn't seem to be there.

A lot (thought not all) of the 22 pistols are picky on ammo. Mini Mags did work the best of what I tried. I did read that you could spray your bulk ammo with case lube and that would help but never did try it - just putting the idea out there.

But to be fair, I just got too frustrated with it so I traded it. I was probably under a 1000 rounds through it when I sent it away. I would certainly try the advice that Jaseman gave as he seems to have a good bit of experience with it.

Lots of luck to you. Great looking gun - hope you can get its performance to match its look.

(Chester County)

With so many excellent .22 pistols from Ruger, Browning, and several others that are reliable, and accurate, why bother with a known problem?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast