Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Default Does NRA actually protect our rights?

Does the NRA actually protect our rights? I am a pround gun ownder who carrys legally. I am not anti-NRA. I am a member myself. But my question is does the NRA actually do anything to protect our gun rights? They put on great events and have nice insurance but how do they effect politcs?

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Default Re: Does NRA actually protect our rights?

NRA works at many levels. The first is to mobilize the membership to write letters and call congresscritters. Another level is ILA and PVF which do the lobbying and political campaign operations since, legally, NRA is not allowed to spend dues money on that. Another level, one that most people don't understand, is that every state has an NRA affiliate organization that is supposed to be carrying on the fight at the state level and that NRA only steps in to help when the state organization says, "Help!"

Yes, the NRA is effective. Sometimes they make deals that irritate the hardliners but that's politics.

(Bucks County)

^^^^^^ like he said.

Would the MSM demonize them if they didn't?

It's a damn shame they need to however
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wakefield724 View Post
    Does the NRA actually protect our rights? I am a pround gun ownder who carrys legally. I am not anti-NRA. I am a member myself. But my question is does the NRA actually do anything to protect our gun rights? They put on great events and have nice insurance but how do they effect politcs?
    Ask the NRA. They will be willing tell you the depths and effectiveness of their lobbying and other activities. Trust me, politics does not occur in a vacuum. Without the big stick of the NRA people who vote on our rights would still hear a cacophony of voices from the "other side".

(Bucks County)

My issue with the "average " NRA member from my personal experience is they aren't very concerned about carry rights. Most of the guys from the gun club I belong to really only care about their right to have hunting rifles/shotguns and a few low capacity handguns. I've had more than few NRA hat wearing guys ask me why do you need an AK?

I understand the NRA is a powerful organization that does help the gun rights cause.I just think a majority of the membership could care less about the things I find very important.
    "It's all in the reflexes" Jack Burton

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    Yes, the NRA is effective. Sometimes they make deals that irritate the hardliners but that's politics.
    Exactly. The NRA puts up the best and an educated fight but they do understand politics and money. Especially in DC. Sometimes it takes money and/or a bit of negotiation and compromise. Not right but reality.

(Armstrong County)

I am a Life member of the NRA but it is not for the purpose of letting them stand for my "Rights" it to keep my instructor certifications current and to support Safety, and Competition.
    Remember, It is not in the best interest of the NRA to have the issue of the 2nd Amendment settled as they would loose 10's if not 100's of millions of dollars in revenue from the sheeple who think the NRA is standing up for their “Rights”
    In 1981 we had urged the NRA to fight the law and their response was half hearted at best and we were told there would be no nationwide escalation of restrictions. Since 1981 there have been thousands of handgun laws enacted. Morton Grove was an experiment to see how far the anti-gunners could go and how much they could get away with. The NRA refused to appeal the Illinois Supreme Court ruling to SCOTUS

When are people going to get it, You hand over money to the NRA for their long list of compromises that got us into the situation we are in. Your money would be better served with a memberships in the GOA, FOAC, or other organizations that are taking a no compromise approach.

Ed Stephan
    FeedBack: https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.p...ight=edstephan
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3790&dateline=1331561  797An OathKeeper and OC Activist, 1 of the 3%, Ed Stephan

(Delaware County)

Mr. LaPierre spoke at cpac on Thursday. I did not hear any mention of what is happening in Connecticut. Has the NRA said anything about it at all? I would have thought they would be the first to make a statement about it. I find it odd they haven't. Unless I have missed it.

(Westmoreland County)

If it weren't for the NRA we would be a heck of a lot worse off now than what we are.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    Another level, one that most people don't understand, is that every state has an NRA affiliate organization that is supposed to be carrying on the fight at the state level and that NRA only steps in to help when the state organization says, "Help!"
    Who asked the NRA to step in on our HB40?
    Who asked them to step in on Ohio's rewrite of their firearm law?
    The 2A does not GIVE us the right. It tells the gov they can not INFRINGE our right.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast