Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Experience with match grade ammo

I haven't shot my Ruger 10/22for such a long time. That may explain the few unopened bricks I still have. One of them is Federal Gold Medal. I recall seeing a dramatic improvement over Remington Thunderbolts. Has anyone seen something like this or is gun-dependent? BTW, even match grade 22 is hard to find. At 2-3 times the price how do you explain that?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Experience with match grade ammo

Match-grade ammo vs thunderbolts is like racing a Ferrari against a Pinto. They both have 4 wheels and usually get you from A to B, and that's where the similarities end.

For plinking I would use middle of the road ammo like Federal bulk packs. If you want to hunt or just get precise groups, use the match-grade or CCI ammo.

As for match grade ammo being hard to find, well, manufacturers are probably focusing on whats fast and cheap to fill the shelves, because it will ALL be bought up. Some match grade .22 has stuck around longer due to the higher prices, but when you see people spending $20 for a 100 rounds of Stingers nothing will surprise you.