Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammo Storage

(Allegheny County)

Default Ammo Storage

So the thread on Ammo Cans got me thinking....do I need these?

When I became a gun owner a few years ago, I started keeping my range bag and accessories in my garage. The guns are in safes inside the house.

I kept about 6 boxes of 9mm FMJ and a box of JHP in the bag and replenished as needed. When I was out and about I would pick up a few boxes here and there to supplement. When the prices started going crazy, I searched out good deals and acceptable deals. The boxes of ammo went into larger boxes...and more boxes.

I find myself stocked to the point where acquiring more isn't at the forefront of my mind but now I'm concerned about lifespan and reliability.

I'm pretty sure I would be better off putting my cache in waterproof, sealed and desiccant-filled ammo cans but do I need to?

Logic says if I've spent the money on the ammo, I should spend the money to make sure it works. Is there a viable (reasonably priced) alternative to ammo cans?

My garage is in Pennsylvania. Unheated but fairly well-sealed. Temp range in garage probably ranges from 20° to 75° with some humidity concerns in the deepest days of August.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Ammo Storage

I've kept mine in my basement for the last 30-40 years in their original boxes without issue, I do rotate my stock but because or various reasons some of the ammo sat for 30 or more years but still shot just fine & without problems. I have started keeping them in large plastic storage containers that while it won't seal anything out it does protect them to some degree in case of a flooded basement plus it makes them easier for me to organize
    That being said, my basement is relatively dry & I also don't have temperature swings as you would get in a garage.
    Jesus is Lord !

(Tioga County)

I have 25+ year old reloaded 20 gauge shells which I haven't given any special storage attention and they still go bang without issue.

Ammo cans for me are for convenience.
    MikeP

I actually tested a box of .30-06 recently. It had sat in my VERY damp basement since 2008. I fired one, and it went bang, so I figured I would abuse the crap out of the rest and see what happened.

I put five of them in a pot of water and let them sit for a day. The first one went bang when I fired it, so I boiled the pot of water with the four remaining inside. (I also built a hutch around it while it boiled in case they went off) They did not go off in the boiling water. I then froze the whole pot solid in my freezer for two days. Then brought to a boil again, and froze solid again. Then I let them thaw on their own under the ice for three days.

Then I fired all four of them. They all went bang on the first try. I did not aim very carefully, but they were all on paper, so it did not seem to have an effect on accuracy either.

They were cheap military FMJ from PPU, like these linked below
    http://www.luckygunner.com/30-06-150...izan-20-rounds

I can't guarantee that all ammo is this resilient, but I was very impressed with it.

That said, I try to keep my stash in a climate controlled, dry area when possible.
    Sic semper tyrannis

(Bucks County)

I shoot 75+ year old nazi steyer ammo. Only had one not go bang out of 200 or so rounds. Although i never tried to poach any of it. It still kicks like a mule!

I think moisture and humidity is probably ammo's worst enemy.

(Montgomery County)

Centerfire ammo is pretty tough. I don't think you have to obsess on the storage conditions as long as they're relatively cool and dry.

(York County)

I'm sure that most of us have, at one time or another, shot ammo that is very old, been stored under less than ideal conditions, and otherwise been abused. I can honestly say that I've never had any problems with it either. That being said however, with the investment that I have in my ammo inventory, and the outlook for the future insofar as costs and/or availability might be, I think it's only prudent to protect my investment. All of my ammo is stored in 30 and 50 cal. steel ammo cans. Some are milsurp and some are new production, just depends on what was available at the time I needed more. In each can I also place a Pelican dessicant pack in each can (the metal type, just a bit larger than the normal business card and a bit over 1/2" thick). When I started seriously accumulating ammo I considered a number of ways to store it and this was the most convenient I came up with. I've tested the cans and have gone up to 4 years before opening one. The indicator still showed good and everything was just as it was when I put it in. That's good enough for me, to the point that I've stopped inspecting them. I also use the cans for storing primers. Even fully loaded a 50 cal. can is still easily moved/carried. They are super durable, stack easily, and can fit on most shelving. I actually have bounced one off the truck tailgate with no problems too. I guess my point is that spending $10-$15 to securely store $500 plus in ammo seems like a reasonable proposition to me.

(York County)

I have mine in my basement. When the shelf gets full I will put some into the plastic boxes that I picked up at Gander Mtn.

(Berks County)

Cans are nice. For long term storage, I empty the boxes into 30 cal cans, tape the box label inside the lid for identification, toss in a few desiccant packs and pretty much forget about it. 50 cal cans get to heavy to move around. About 500 rounds of centerfire rifle ammo in a 30, 1000 in a 50 if you go that route. Handgun ammo about 1000 in a 30, 2000 in a 50. Your mileage will vary depending on caliber.

I think in a non-climate controlled environment, boxes would begin to deteriorate after a couple season. But only an issue if you're keeping long term. If you just buy a few boxes, shoot it, and replace over a couple months, not a problem.

Cold and dry. For sealed ammunition humidity is a lesser factor than heat. Heat deteriorates gunpowder fast, the deterioration rate is exponential with temperature.

UN manual on ammunition inspection. See section 7.3.

Surveillance and in-service proof - the United Nations

http://www.un.org/disarmament/convar...Proof(V.1).pdf

[/URL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast