Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: glock 35 blew apart

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    That doesn't look like a stock Glock barrel. Not that that would matter one way or the other with a double-charged case or firing into a plugged barrel.
    Nope, its not.. aftermarket match barrel which has a fully supported chamber.

I like how the post below yours mentions glocks unsupported barrel as if that could be the only reason for a case head separation.

There mine was, with a fully supported chamber, and it had a case head separation.. Over pressure, is over pressure and the cases can only take so much, no matter what barrel or gun they are in.. How the gun handles it, depends on how it is made..

Since they OP hasn't really supplied any further information, it is all guesses now.. Or as someone in another post suggests.. We're being trolled. I'll wait for the 9 vs 45acp or glock vs 1911 threads before I come to that conclusion.
    The problem with shooting Chinese bullets is 15 minutes later you wanna shoot again.

(Delaware County)

Now for my two cents. If the barrel did not burst or at least have an obvious bulge, I doubt if the problem was a squib load stuck in the barrel. I had such an experience many years ago involving a squib load stuck in the barrel and another shot being fired right behind it. Thank goodness it was an old Colt Official Police from the 1940s that had a thick barrel made from quality steel. I got away with just a bulged barrel instead of a blown barrel resembling a peeled banana.

Needless to say, I checked the powder level on each shell before seating the bullet.

I believe that Glock's service department is such that they will take care of the owner in this matter and make any repairs or replacement as the case may be. Even though they do not have an obligation to do so. Of course, there will be a letter of strong warning about further use of reloads in their firearms.
    Last edited by c45man; March 7th, 2014 at 12:23 AM.

If you don't bullshit Glock on what happened they may sell a replacement at a much reduced price. They have done so in the past.

(Chester County)

Check out the smith and wesson forum. A lot of people's .40 shields have been going kaboom over there, and so far the ammo has been the major cause (whether that is true or not is another debate). The 9mm shields have been just fine.

I know for every 100,000 .40s made, only 1 might go kaboom, but I still prefer 9mm or .45 over the .40. Not trying to start a caliber debate, but it seems like whenever a handgun goes kaboom from a reputable manufacturer, it's always a .40. I had a Ruger SR40c, and it worked just fine. I only sold it because I wanted to consolidate my calibers. I replaced it with the Ruger SR9c which has functioned flawlessly too.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Hecuba View Post
    This...

.40 is prone to issues with reloads in Glocks. Lead in Glocks is another no-no, especially in .40.

HH
    Nope. Screwing up a reload, or being an incompetent or lazy reloader is a no-no. Not cleaning the lead out of your barrel is a no-no. Shooting lead out of a Glock with a factory barrel is not a problem. Lot's of competition shooters put 10's of thousands of lead bullets through their Glocks every year.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by 625 View Post
    Nope. Screwing up a reload, or being an incompetent or lazy reloader is a no-no. Not cleaning the lead out of your barrel is a no-no. Shooting lead out of a Glock with a factory barrel is not a problem. Lot's of competition shooters put 10's of thousands of lead bullets through their Glocks every year.
    This^^^

The polygonal rifling in the OE Glock barrels can be more picky than traditional rifled barrels however they can safely and reliably run cast lead bullets fine with proper load development.

But people whom don't know any better will still be spreading the same bad info.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by 625 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    This^^^

The polygonal rifling in the OE Glock barrels can be more picky than traditional rifled barrels however they can safely and reliably run cast lead bullets fine with proper load development.

But people whom don't know any better will still be spreading the same bad info.
    I realize you two (and others) have a different opinion, but the official line from Glock is that they don't recommend putting unjacketed lead bullets through their firearms. It's fine to disagree, but I don't think it's proper to call it "bad info" when someone is repeating a manufacturer's recommendation.

http://us.glock.com/customer-service/faq
    Can I use lead bullets?

No, we recommend the use of jacketed ammunition only.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Montgomery County)

I realize you two (and others) have a different opinion, but the official line from Glock is that they don't recommend putting unjacketed lead bullets through their firearms. It's fine to disagree, but I don't think it's proper to call it "bad info" when someone is repeating a manufacturer's recommendation.

I'm not seeing how that is relevant to the facts I presented. Please show me one company that makes semi-autos that specifically states that shooting lead reloads is ok.

"Lead in Glocks is a NoNo"
    ".40 Prone to issues with reloads"
    "Most of Glocks issues are in .40s with reloads"

Yeah none of them are mirroring Glocks recommendations. A lot closer to online tale telling and regurgitating hearsay.

So I guess Glock is against Speer TMJ and Gold Dot ammo also? Both are plated bullets not jacketed. Glock and most companies go by the "play it safe" game and try to deflect as much liability onto someone else as they can. It is the world we live in. Some people can see things for what they are and not what they are recommended to be.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    "Lead in Glocks is a NoNo"
    ".40 Prone to issues with reloads"
    "Most of Glocks issues are in .40s with reloads"

Yeah none of them are mirroring Glocks recommendations. A lot closer to online tale telling and regurgitating hearsay.

So I guess Glock is against Speer TMJ and Gold Dot ammo them? Both are plated bullets not jacketed. Glock and most companies go by the "play it safe" game and try to deflect as much liability onto someone else. It is the world we live in. Some people can see things for what they are and not what they are recommended to be.
    Exactly. Show me one manufacturer of semi-autos that states it's perfectly ok to shoot ANY reloads, not just lead.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast