Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: glock 35 blew apart

Is the trigger blown off and mag release broken? Did the mag go flying out of it when this happened? And did your hand have a black ring from the powder around your trigger finger to your thumb?

Did it feel like your hand just blew off and you felt a stinging sensation?

I'm voting either a double charge or bullet setback.. And if I may ask, what Bullet manufacturer were they bullets that you used in the reload?

I had a bullet set back, it blew the gun.. Put it back together and was shooting again that night. It only breaks a few parts which cost like 30$ at most.

Really need pictures to try and see what happened.

Doesn't have anything to do with the gun. A bad reload will blowup in just about any gun.. The steel guns handle it better and sometimes don't even break anything.

The setback or double charge causes case head separation and the gases blow out the wrong direction. I've heard of it happening in some 1911's during competition, the guys mag blows out of the gun.. He puts in a new mag and continues shooting the stage, LoL.. Not all range/safety officers are quick enough to process what the hell just happened and stop the shooter before they finish the stage..

Firing a shot with an obstruction in the barrel (squib), normally causes some kind of barrel damage..
    The problem with shooting Chinese bullets is 15 minutes later you wanna shoot again.

Quote Originally Posted by EvoRich View Post
    Glock highly recommends against reloads. But the fact that it's in .40 makes the problem even worse. I don't know much about reloading, or even .40 at all. But as far as I know, the problem is .40 is very easy to accidentally over pressurize compared to other calibers while reloading. Most of Glock's kabooms are in their .40 pistols due to improper reloads.
    Pretty much every manufacturer is against reloads. There are plenty of other rounds just as easy or easier to double charge than a .40. There are a lot of old outdated tales still floating around about Glock .40s which are still extremely popular today. I would bet money the issue the op had has nothing to do with what caliber the gun is chambered in.

The OP probably had a double charge or a squid that was not noticed until it was too late. If the barrel is bulged forward of the chamber a squib is most likely.
    Last edited by dkf; March 6th, 2014 at 02:06 AM.

(Tioga County)

Sounds like operator error with reloads. Glock will not warranty pistols "blown apart" by reloads.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    Sounds like operator error with reloads. Glock will not warranty pistols "blown apart" by reloads.
    Actually that isn't always correct..

But I wouldn't expect it..

Again, depending on what happened, it most likely won't cost much to fix it. Get a Glock Armorer/gunsmith to look at it though before shooting again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The problem with shooting Chinese bullets is 15 minutes later you wanna shoot again.

(Berks County)

Glad you still have 10 fingers.
    A Republic, if you can keep it.

(Lackawanna County)

Something very similar happened to my buddies G23. The extractor came flying out. His seemd to take it pretty well considering he couldve been seriously injured. He attributed it to quality control and said that when a manufacturer is producing thousands of firearms one or two faulty ones slip through. Im sure that it couldve been one of a plethora of reasons why it happened, but firearms are inheritly kind of dangerous if youre not careful. Safety 1st!

(Butler County)

What does the empty case look like from this "kaboom"? Glad you weren't hurt.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pkspawn View Post
    Actually that isn't always correct..

But I wouldn't expect it..

Again, depending on what happened, it most likely won't cost much to fix it. Get a Glock Armorer/gunsmith to look at it though before shooting again.
    That doesn't look like a stock Glock barrel. Not that that would matter one way or the other with a double-charged case or firing into a plugged barrel.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Allegheny County)

Since it was a G35 in 40S&W, I'd suspect a case head separation on reloaded ammunition. The G35 apparently has an 'unsupported' chamber in that caliber. Something of a trade-off in design to maximize reliability in feeding.

The OP isn't alone. Just happy he is OKAY.

I have a G34 in 9mm. Very happy with it.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by EvoRich View Post
    Glock highly recommends against reloads. But the fact that it's in .40 makes the problem even worse. I don't know much about reloading, or even .40 at all. But as far as I know, the problem is .40 is very easy to accidentally over pressurize compared to other calibers while reloading. Most of Glock's kabooms are in their .40 pistols due to improper reloads.
    This...

.40 is prone to issues with reloads in Glocks. Lead in Glocks is another no-no, especially in .40.

HH

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast