Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ammo Cans

(Berks County)

Default Re: Ammo Cans

I have bought some plastic ones but I jumped on the deal from Gander.

$15 each with tax. Not shabby for new.

I wouldn't have to correct my typos (first post) if the cat would not try to help...

(Allegheny County)

If I waited to find ammo cans for $5 like so many like to brag about, I'd have exactly ZERO ammo cans over the last 15 years and I'd need to use ziplock baggies if I wanted an airtight seal.
    If you can find them cheap, good for you - jump on it. The only time I've seen them "cheap" is online and after factoring in shipping, they're right back up to $15-$19/can - used.

Currently I see new cans running around $19 - sometimes you can find a sale.

The gun show isn't even a source of inexpensive cans any more. Here's what I just picked up last month.
    I think the 50 cal cans were $12 last year.
    These were $15 either size can. (50 cal or 40 mm)
    With the 40 mm cans being harder to find and the price with shipping (they are HEAVY) to buy them online, it all balanced out in the end, so I was happy.

Yes, a bit rusty on the outside and I hate that they get the stenciling spray painted, but they are clean inside and I'm not storing them on my living room carpet, so I don't care about the rust.
    I've never even bothered painting any of my cans. They're kept indoors now so it's not like it's going to get worse and rot through. I wipe them down and fill them up. Done.
    Last edited by Emptymag; March 5th, 2014 at 10:32 AM.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

We've been selling brand new Blackhawk 50BMG cans for $14.99. I bought a bunch, even for the kids to use as tool boxes

I did have the Plano plastic boxes, never again! After 2 years of holding ammo, the edges of the plastic can are showing stress marks (stretching). This can did nothing but sit there mind you, I didnt carry it to the range or bang it around etc. I doubt that it could hold the stress. The metal 50BMG ones though, heck, some have scratch marks from having fallen off the back of my van.
    Hold the Line...

Anyone know if a 50BMG can will hold 1080 rounds of 5.56x45 on stripper clips and in 3-clip cartons?

Right now, I got two 30 cal cans holding 540 rounds each in 18 3-clip cartons - but would love to condense those two cans into one.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    If I waited to find ammo cans for $5 like so many like to brag about, I'd have exactly ZERO ammo cans over the last 15 years and I'd need to use ziplock baggies if I wanted an airtight seal.
    If you can find them cheap, good for you - jump on it. The only time I've seen them "cheap" is online and after factoring in shipping, they're right back up to $15-$19/can - used.

Currently I see new cans running around $19 - sometimes you can find a sale.

The gun show isn't even a source of inexpensive cans any more. Here's what I just picked up last month.
    I think the 50 cal cans were $12 last year.
    These were $15 either size can. (50 cal or 40 mm)
    With the 40 mm cans being harder to find and the price with shipping (they are HEAVY) to buy them online, it all balanced out in the end, so I was happy.

Yes, a bit rusty on the outside and I hate that they get the stenciling spray painted, but they are clean inside and I'm not storing them on my living room carpet, so I don't care about the rust.
    I've never even bothered painting any of my cans. They're kept indoors now so it's not like it's going to get worse and rot through. I wipe them down and fill them up. Done.
    It seems like just yesterday these things were $4 a piece. I picked up three last week and paid $14 to $16 each and wasn't very happy. The only satisfaction is knowing these things will last FOREVER. For $14 my grandchildren (not even born yet) could potentially find a can of well preserved ammo some day.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by spacemanvic View Post
    We've been selling brand new Blackhawk 50BMG cans for $14.99. I bought a bunch, even for the kids to use as tool boxes .

Yeah, that's why I asked where your story was a while back. Too bad it is so far from me.

(Berks County)

Nothing beats the smell of the old cans. I have some from Korea era, they still have that smell, you know it!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Berks County)

Fetched me 300,000 rounds of 22LR at Dicks yesterday and need some place to store them.

Don't tell EM.

(Allegheny County)

Speaking of "Dicks"... ^^^
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Luzerne County)

I tend to learn towards the mtm double latch cans. Nice and sturdy, and stack-able. Plus you can find the zombie themed ones for just about $10 or less and they're the same as the original cans. Just pull the sticker off and deal with the neon green accents.

I did notice recently, harbor freight is starting to sell ammo cans for around $6, they're plastic and only .30 cal but they're decent.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast